Schwarzenegger vs. Interactivity

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
I honestly didn't understand the article. You seemed to be saying that a bill was trying to be passed saying that videogames couldn't be sold to younger people, correct?

Isn't that already the law? What makes this different?
It isn't a law. Just like how movie theaters do not have a law against selling tickets to minors for R movies.

Imagine it as a giant snow covered mountain. This law (And the supreme court case) is a snow ledge falling from too much weight. Now, if the Supreme Court rules against the law, it ends there. But if the Supreme Court goes the other way, it has a major chance to create a massive avalanche of censorship against the video gaming world.

GammaZord

Jan 26, 2009
Where I live (Maryland) kids under 17 can't buy M-rated games without a parent or guardian to approve the purchase. I would imagine it's like this in some (maybe all) other states. So what exactly does this proposed law do?

Does it unconditionally restrict the sale of M-rated games to minors (even w/ a parent's consent)? Or does it specifically target "violent" games? Or what?

I'm confused.

polarizebeta

Feb 3, 2010
Having lived in Charlotte for ten years, I find it amusing and appalling that North Carolina, a staunch area of Republican and Christian-Right values is more progressive on this issue than California. This goes to the heart of an issue that has plagued the US for the last 30 years. The slow and general degredation of personal liberties. Read the following books for reference as to how we as citizens are being regulated from making our own decisions on life. By the by, I live in Boston now and have voted pure democrat since I turned 18.

Acton, John D. (1907). The History of Freedom and Other Essays.
Milton Friedman, The New Liberal's Creed: Individual Freedom, Preserving Dissent Are Ultimate Goals

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
I just want to say what a pleasure it is to visit the Escapist and read intelligent political discourse. It's just...gratifying...that our level of discourse is better than what you get on HuffPo or NYTimes. Cheers to you all, whether you agreed or disagreed with my article.

Erick.S

Jun 4, 2010
This was a very interesting read.
Though I agree that minors should not be exposed to violent media in the same way that adults are, there has to be a better way to do so.
Historically, though, fighting against progress didn't work so well (which is why we don't ride horses to the local chapel while chuckling at the ragged look of our smelly serfs), so I expect this restrictive move to fail at the courts - hopefully sooner, rather than later.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Therumancer said:
Worgen said:
Therumancer said:
This is the problem I have had with fence walkers. I agree with Arnie on a lot of things but he's been a social liberal and hypocrit on subjects like this for a long time. Very quick to jump on the "protect the children" bandwagon and attack free speech, and one of the Repblicans that seems to go consistantly cross party for this kind of thing. This makes him a hypocrit because he obtained his fame and fortune through very violent action movies, and many of those action movies had video game tie ins (albiet usually bad ones). I seriously doubt he ever turned down his share of a video game's sales based on one of his movies because it included violent content.
the protect the children bs is a socially conservative ideology not a liberal one
Incorrect, though to be fair most liberals buy into a lot of party hype and don't know most of what their party stands for, represents, or has done.

Though to be entirely fair, with the way how politics are mixed up and the fact that no one side stays "pure" to it's ideology you have people from both parties supporting any issue you can think of, someone is always crossing the fence somewhere.

The "protect the children" bit is largely a device intended to try and convince people into giving the federal goverment more power, pretty much "please take away our rights to protect us". Most recently the big proponents of this arguement have been people like Hillary Clinton who spearheaded attacks on video games over things like the San Andreas "Hot Coffee" incident.

Likewise it plays heavily into the persecution of hate speech and other contreversial forms of free expression, the basic idea being that the goverment needs to be given increased censorship powers to prevent hate speech and prevent children from hearing it and somehow being tainted.

This is not to say that conservatives have not used that basic logic and similar arguements themselves on various issues. It is fairly easy to confuse the "protect the children" BS with Conservative "family values" BS, and the rhetoric can be pretty similar, though there are substantial differances if you look at it.

Arnie runs on a Conservative platform but is a well known "social liberal" as he's said himself. That doesn't quite mean that he supports minority rights and so on quite the way a lot of people like to try and interpet such things. What it means is that he believes in using big goverment to try and remove or limit people's rights to "protect" those groups. This includes doing things like trying to make it actually illegal to say or express racist or derrogatory things. Leading into the entire idea of the goverment effectively becoming the moral guardian of the people and having the right to take action against people for what amounts to subjective reasons. Meaning that part of this is not just to protect social groups as many people think, but also to morally govern society by doing things like going after video games and other similar things.

Both partys are out for power grabs and cover a lot of the same ground, Conservatives in many cases can be just as bad, albiet Republicans as a general rule tend to support this kind of thing on a state or local level more than anything, rather than supporting the idea of sweeping legislation throughout the entire nation.

Conservatives get the uninformed reputation of both supporting social bigotry, and somehow at the same time oppressing free speech and the abillity to engage in said social bigotry, largely because of how a lot of media networks (run by guys like Ted Turner) report things. Like everything there are exceptions, but for the most part Republicans support the idea of states to set their own policies on things like gay rights, and people's right to say more or less what they want to in public without fear of censure or legal action. This of course means that a lot of people with those "offensive" messages of course gravitate to this party, and in an overall sense Republicans can be seen as obstructing things like gay rights because they stand in the way of sweeping policies dictated overall and believe it should be up to the states to decide what they want their own policies to be (especially seeing as money gets involved in this due to tax breaks for married couples).

No party is a carbon copy of an idea, and exceptions can always be found. The "problem" with Arnie is that a Republican by principle should not be supporting goverment control of speech and expression for something like this. The same principles that have had the party in the past defending the rights of religious expression (ranging from fire and brimstone rants and passing pamphlets by private citizens in public parks and such, to the aforementioned christmas decorations) and even in the past supporting the right of groups like the KKK and Aryan Nation to assemble and speak (and of course leading to the unfortunate patronage of a lot of those people as a result), also apply to things like video games and the expectation for people to police themselves rather than the goverment doing it. The fact that Arnie is the kind of guy who supports goverment action against free speech whether it's thoughts on gays, ethnic minorities, video games, or anything else is what makes him a social liberal. Free speech means taking the good with the bad, and the hate speech with people spreading messages of love and compassion, that is what freedom is about. Of course given some of the whack jobs out there it can be hard to seperate their actual message from the principle, especially when some of those guys have lots of money and go directly into politics themselves.

While it DOES go cross party, stop and consider that what Arnie is doing is very similar to what Hillary did with the "Hot Coffee" incident. In fact the involvement of people like him in issues like this what what MAKES these issues cross party. For the most part you'll see a lot of Republicans badmouthing immorality, and talking about values, but it's pretty bloody rare when you see them trying to take actual action, especially on a federal level. I'm not saying that it hasn't happened (it has), but especially nowadays attacks on media and video games come almost exclusively from left wing leaders, and it's people like Hillary who have been using the "protect the children" battle cry.

A lot of people who are dedicated to the left wing, and have been raised to think of the right wing as satanic evil don't see this because they don't want to see it, but it's there. You'd be surprised at how many people don't even realize that Hillary was one of the major forces on point during the screaming about moral censorship over "Hot Coffee". She wasn't an aberration either, she had a massive following (and arguably still does).
your wrong, both sides use it but the conservatives tend to mean it and have historicly been much more set in it, oh and if you look at the states supporting the whole bull shit of cali's ban you will see more then a few conservative idiot states, the whole small govt thing only goes for small govt when it comes to telling states who they cant discriminate against

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Worgen said:
[your wrong, both sides use it but the conservatives tend to mean it and have historicly been much more set in it, oh and if you look at the states supporting the whole bull shit of cali's ban you will see more then a few conservative idiot states, the whole small govt thing only goes for small govt when it comes to telling states who they cant discriminate against
No I'm not, as you might notice I myself said that both sides use it. Simply that it's far more of a liberal position.

I do however understand the perception that "Republicans only care about small goverment when it comes to telling them who they can't discriminate against". It's not correct of course, but since it's the biggest issues involving the most vocal people that get national attention, along with the bias in how most media reports on these things (and who they allow to go on the air to represent the Republican viewpoint) it's fairly understandable. Media control is a powerful thing.

While it gets away from the main subject, you have to understand that the very issue of "discrimination" is a lot more touchy than a lot of people make it out to be. While our country is a representitive republic, it's based on the idea of democracy and intregrates a lot of those ideas. The idea of democracy simply being that everyone votes, and whatever gets the most votes is what winds up happening.

The thing is that a lot of minority rights issues revolve around an interpetation of certain laws and principles that can be argued to say that democracy is non-existant, and that a small group of people cannot be forced to conform to the will of the majority (or move out of their area and go someplace else). It's one of those things that starts with the constitution, goes into how our founding fathers interpeted it, metric tons of precedent in all kinds of directions, and arguements at pretty much all levels about the letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law by both sides.

The Republican side of things tends to argue that equality means that minorities get the right to have an opinion and vote like anyone else, they however are not entitled to any specific weight to their votes simply by being a minority. Indeed by definition in a country based on an ideal of democracy minority groups, which are by their definition small, are supposed to lose. The idea being that the greater good is served by having more people in agreement with what happens.

To use a favorite example, look at conflicts about things like Christmas decorations and town tree lighting ceremonies and such. When you get past the religious aspects of the entire thing, a big part of the arguement comes from religious minorities like Jews and Hindus claiming that a star on top of a tree in the middle of the town square is offensive, and that it's not right that they can lose on an issue like this despite the fact that they got to vote and lost to the other 99.9% of the community. Democrats in most cases argue it's the job of the big bad Federal Goverment to come in and stomp on the people of Hooville (or whatever) on the behalf of a handfull of butthurt minorities. Republicans in most cases argue that the minorities were given equal rights, they got to vote, they simply lost, and this is how things are supposed to work. Every single year, people throw down about this kind of thing somewhere with mixed results.

Agree or disagree, the bottom line is that it's a fairly sensible conflict with a decent amount of logic on both sides, even though I agree with the Republican point of view more than the Democratic one. However on the rare occasions when this kind of thing gets national coverage the majority of news networks like CNN traditionally pick the biggest whack job to represent the case of the town. You wind up with like some professional political activist argueing the democratic point of view, against the head of the town's church (who was probably quite vocal) as opposed to say a Mayor, Selectman, or other such person. The networks getting to choose whom they give a platform to (and this is incidently a big part
of claims of media bias, it's not quite what a lot of people think those complaints are). People get to see a well informed activist argue about the law, while the preacher talks about god, and in the end you wind up with a lot of people assuming that this is some case
of religious fundementalists oppressing minorities, where if say the Mayor or someone similar was allowed to make the case for what happened it would seem somewhat less insane.

I don't mindlessly follow a Republican point of view, I just tend to agree with that side more than I disagree with it. In general I tend to be critical with liberals because they tend to accuse people of ignorance, while themselves being ignorant and typically not knowing much of anything about the other side and what the actual issues involved in something are. Of course I'm one of the people who also blames a media bias for this, but I do so not because other people have told me that this is the case, but because I've actually sat there and watched discussions on issues I'm familiar with, with the Republican side being represented by someone who does not belong argueing a case on a national platform, or taking entirely the wrong track of debate. A favorite technique seems to be to call up religious leaders to represent the right wing, giving the impression that the right wing is based a lot more on religious fundementalism than it is, instead of the people who have actually been involved in the legal conflicts themselves. When you later hear that a news program didn't want the guy that should have been making the case to begin with, well let's just say that is how hard set opinions are formed.

As far as the actual issue we're discussing goes, this (like anything) goes cross party. It should be noted however that despite general tendencies in the past, you'd have to look at who is calling the shots in, and representing the various states involved, and how much conflict is going on within those states.

Understand that right now you see a lot of things happening because the left wing didn't just take The Presidency, it managed to get control of pretty much the entire federal goverment. Most states right now are being represented by liberals. One of the big liberal battle cries right now is to make things happen while they have control, to more or less avoid the pitfall that the Republicans fell into when they had control and were able to get little done. The typical liberal problem of various left wingers fighting each other endlessly over specifics is somewhat dealt with for the moment, that is what the whole Obama/Clinton alliance was about where she was convinced to support her with her followers in exchange for a cabinet position instead of dividing the party and turning it into a grudge match. The outnumbered Republicans are also forced into a position of compromise and fencewalking and deciding what is the lesser of evils by their position to get things done, trading support on one issue, for lack of opposition on another.

The bottom line being that if they want to make a major push for video game regulation and start the moral censorship snowball rolling, they are in a better position now than ever before. Having a socially liberal Republican (with connections to the Kennedies no less) lead the charge makes it appear there is more solidarity and demand than there is as part of the show, as does being able to bring in what are commonly thought of as Republican states. You'll doubtlessly see a lot of high profile Republicans that went cross party for this being heavily flaunted as part of the entire performance. The intention being to sell The Supreme Court on "this is what the overwhelming number of people want".

I'm not going to tell you that there are whacked Republican censors out there and such, because there are. However this paticular issue, and this paticular battle, comes from the left wing. As things stand now if your anti-censorship, it's the democrats that are after your rights. Tomorrow it could very well be the other way around, but today the enemy are people like Mrs. Clinton even if they aren't currently acting as "faces" as much as they usually would.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Therumancer said:
Worgen said:
[your wrong, both sides use it but the conservatives tend to mean it and have historicly been much more set in it, oh and if you look at the states supporting the whole bull shit of cali's ban you will see more then a few conservative idiot states, the whole small govt thing only goes for small govt when it comes to telling states who they cant discriminate against
No I'm not, as you might notice I myself said that both sides use it. Simply that it's far more of a liberal position.

I do however understand the perception that "Republicans only care about small goverment when it comes to telling them who they can't discriminate against". It's not correct of course, but since it's the biggest issues involving the most vocal people that get national attention, along with the bias in how most media reports on these things (and who they allow to go on the air to represent the Republican viewpoint) it's fairly understandable. Media control is a powerful thing.

While it gets away from the main subject, you have to understand that the very issue of "discrimination" is a lot more touchy than a lot of people make it out to be. While our country is a representitive republic, it's based on the idea of democracy and intregrates a lot of those ideas. The idea of democracy simply being that everyone votes, and whatever gets the most votes is what winds up happening.

The thing is that a lot of minority rights issues revolve around an interpetation of certain laws and principles that can be argued to say that democracy is non-existant, and that a small group of people cannot be forced to conform to the will of the majority (or move out of their area and go someplace else). It's one of those things that starts with the constitution, goes into how our founding fathers interpeted it, metric tons of precedent in all kinds of directions, and arguements at pretty much all levels about the letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law by both sides.

The Republican side of things tends to argue that equality means that minorities get the right to have an opinion and vote like anyone else, they however are not entitled to any specific weight to their votes simply by being a minority. Indeed by definition in a country based on an ideal of democracy minority groups, which are by their definition small, are supposed to lose. The idea being that the greater good is served by having more people in agreement with what happens.

To use a favorite example, look at conflicts about things like Christmas decorations and town tree lighting ceremonies and such. When you get past the religious aspects of the entire thing, a big part of the arguement comes from religious minorities like Jews and Hindus claiming that a star on top of a tree in the middle of the town square is offensive, and that it's not right that they can lose on an issue like this despite the fact that they got to vote and lost to the other 99.9% of the community. Democrats in most cases argue it's the job of the big bad Federal Goverment to come in and stomp on the people of Hooville (or whatever) on the behalf of a handfull of butthurt minorities. Republicans in most cases argue that the minorities were given equal rights, they got to vote, they simply lost, and this is how things are supposed to work. Every single year, people throw down about this kind of thing somewhere with mixed results.

Agree or disagree, the bottom line is that it's a fairly sensible conflict with a decent amount of logic on both sides, even though I agree with the Republican point of view more than the Democratic one. However on the rare occasions when this kind of thing gets national coverage the majority of news networks like CNN traditionally pick the biggest whack job to represent the case of the town. You wind up with like some professional political activist argueing the democratic point of view, against the head of the town's church (who was probably quite vocal) as opposed to say a Mayor, Selectman, or other such person. The networks getting to choose whom they give a platform to (and this is incidently a big part
of claims of media bias, it's not quite what a lot of people think those complaints are). People get to see a well informed activist argue about the law, while the preacher talks about god, and in the end you wind up with a lot of people assuming that this is some case
of religious fundementalists oppressing minorities, where if say the Mayor or someone similar was allowed to make the case for what happened it would seem somewhat less insane.

I don't mindlessly follow a Republican point of view, I just tend to agree with that side more than I disagree with it. In general I tend to be critical with liberals because they tend to accuse people of ignorance, while themselves being ignorant and typically not knowing much of anything about the other side and what the actual issues involved in something are. Of course I'm one of the people who also blames a media bias for this, but I do so not because other people have told me that this is the case, but because I've actually sat there and watched discussions on issues I'm familiar with, with the Republican side being represented by someone who does not belong argueing a case on a national platform, or taking entirely the wrong track of debate. A favorite technique seems to be to call up religious leaders to represent the right wing, giving the impression that the right wing is based a lot more on religious fundementalism than it is, instead of the people who have actually been involved in the legal conflicts themselves. When you later hear that a news program didn't want the guy that should have been making the case to begin with, well let's just say that is how hard set opinions are formed.

As far as the actual issue we're discussing goes, this (like anything) goes cross party. It should be noted however that despite general tendencies in the past, you'd have to look at who is calling the shots in, and representing the various states involved, and how much conflict is going on within those states.

Understand that right now you see a lot of things happening because the left wing didn't just take The Presidency, it managed to get control of pretty much the entire federal goverment. Most states right now are being represented by liberals. One of the big liberal battle cries right now is to make things happen while they have control, to more or less avoid the pitfall that the Republicans fell into when they had control and were able to get little done. The typical liberal problem of various left wingers fighting each other endlessly over specifics is somewhat dealt with for the moment, that is what the whole Obama/Clinton alliance was about where she was convinced to support her with her followers in exchange for a cabinet position instead of dividing the party and turning it into a grudge match. The outnumbered Republicans are also forced into a position of compromise and fencewalking and deciding what is the lesser of evils by their position to get things done, trading support on one issue, for lack of opposition on another.

The bottom line being that if they want to make a major push for video game regulation and start the moral censorship snowball rolling, they are in a better position now than ever before. Having a socially liberal Republican (with connections to the Kennedies no less) lead the charge makes it appear there is more solidarity and demand than there is as part of the show, as does being able to bring in what are commonly thought of as Republican states. You'll doubtlessly see a lot of high profile Republicans that went cross party for this being heavily flaunted as part of the entire performance. The intention being to sell The Supreme Court on "this is what the overwhelming number of people want".

I'm not going to tell you that there are whacked Republican censors out there and such, because there are. However this paticular issue, and this paticular battle, comes from the left wing. As things stand now if your anti-censorship, it's the democrats that are after your rights. Tomorrow it could very well be the other way around, but today the enemy are people like Mrs. Clinton even if they aren't currently acting as "faces" as much as they usually would.
your still wrong, there is a difference between democrates and liberals, right now dems are more moderate then anything, annoyingly, and republicans are stupid conservative since they are insane, oh and if you havent figured it out yet Im just skimming your argument because its way too wordy, I should probably read more since it looks like its at least well thought out from your end even tho Im fairly sure I disagree with it but I just cant get up the urge to read that much right now unless its written by terry pratchett

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
To put it bluntly: The issue here is not "making it illegal for kids to buy adult games". The issue is "removing freedom-of-speech protections from games". Were this to pass, any state could very likely make any game marginalizing, or even criminalizing, "mature" video games. Imagine having to register in a government database if you want to buy the next Grand Theft Auto, or the next Gears of War simply being illegal to sell (or even own) in your state. Don't like it? Too bad, it's not like you have a right to buy them.

And, although they would never admit it, a number of parent groups want this. They don't want more stringent laws preventing Johnny from getting Axe Murderer 6- they want laws preventing Axe Murderer 6 from being MADE, so that they don't have to hear Johnny whine for it. How many children are getting their hands on these games because harried parents who don't want to pay attention are buying them? It's less "protect the children from filth" and more "protect me from having to parent".

Hyperbole? Sure. But I'm positive there's more than a few grains of truth in this.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Therumancer said:

You couldn't be more wrong. I'm not going to go point by point on this, because the post is way too long for me to do that, but a few things stand out.

First of all, Hilary Clinton is about as conservative as a Democrat can get without being a DINO. Joe Lieberman, the other "Democrat" behind the save the children nonsense isn't even a Dem in name anymore; he's as conservative as they come, but he changes his party affiliation depending on which party he thinks will be most likely to get elected. Currently, he's independent but claims to caucus with the Democrats; his voting record says otherwise.

As for your claims about America following the patterns of a democracy, and allowing the majority of the nation to decide on matters that could negatively impact a minority; you're wrong there, too. When the will of the majority violates the Constitution, what's written in the Constitution takes precedence -- unless it's the will of the majority to make some kind of discriminatory amendment to the constitution. Protecting minority rights is not a power grab by the Democrats; it's the Dems reaffirming the foundation of the U.S. constitution. The entire reason we have many of the rights we do is to protect against the "tyranny of the majority," as one of the authors of the Federalist papers put it. We have a republic for a reason, and following the bill of rights and the 14th amendment does not a power grab make. If anything, it's a power grab when the majority tries to take those rights away from underrepresented minorities.

Edit: Fixed major typo in quote.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Worgen said:
You couldn't be more wrong. I'm not going to go point by point on this, because the post is way too long for me to do that, but a few things stand out.

First of all, Hilary Clinton is about as conservative as a Democrat can get without being a DINO. Joe Lieberman, the other "Democrat" behind the save the children nonsense isn't even a Dem in name anymore; he's as conservative as they come, but he changes his party affiliation depending on which party he thinks will be most likely to get elected. Currently, he's independent but claims to caucus with the Democrats; his voting record says otherwise.

As for your claims about America following the patterns of a democracy, and allowing the majority of the nation to decide on matters that could negatively impact a minority; you're wrong there, too. When the will of the majority violates the Constitution, what's written in the Constitution takes precedence -- unless it's the will of the majority to make some kind of discriminatory amendment to the constitution. Protecting minority rights is not a power grab by the Democrats; it's the Dems reaffirming the foundation of the U.S. constitution. The entire reason we have many of the rights we do is to protect against the "tyranny of the majority," as one of the authors of the Federalist papers put it. We have a republic for a reason, and following the bill of rights and the 14th amendment does not a power grab make. If anything, it's a power grab when the majority tries to take those rights away from underrepresented minorities.
so you felt I was totaly wrong about something but you felt the need to snip off whatever the hell I said, classy, anyway, I dont recall saying anything about hilary or really anything else in your post so Im just confused at this point, I get the feeling you ment to link someone else

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Worgen said:
so you felt I was totaly wrong about something but you felt the need to snip off whatever the hell I said, classy, anyway, I dont recall saying anything about hilary or really anything else in your post so Im just confused at this point, I get the feeling you ment to link someone else
Ah shoot, I'm sorry -- I meant to quote Therumancer. I was actually agreeing with you and adding some more points. Initially I meant to quote the last post that you quoted Therumancer on, but it would have taken up way too much space to quote the whole thing, and it was pretty much entirely aimed at him anyway -- so I did a snipped quote in order for him to get a notification. Apparently, I snipped off the wrong quote tag in the process.
Therumancer said:
snip again
The above snipped quote is just so you get a notification; my last post was aimed at you, not Worgen. I'm going to edit it accordingly, but that alone won't give you notice about it.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Worgen said:
Ah shoot, I'm sorry -- I meant to quote Therumancer. I was actually agreeing with you and adding some more points. Initially I meant to quote the last post that you quoted Therumancer on, but it would have taken up way too much space to quote the whole thing, and it was pretty much entirely aimed at him anyway -- so I did a snipped quote in order for him to get a notification. Apparently, I snipped off the wrong quote tag in the process.
Therumancer said:
snip again
The above snipped quote is just so you get a notification; my last post was aimed at you, not Worgen. I'm going to edit it accordingly, but that alone won't give you notice about it.
no worries, soon as I posted that one I figured you had seen his and accidentally responded to mine, good to know when Im too lazy to make an argument someone else will

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
LordOfInsanity said:
SenseOfTumour said:
I can't help but think it's a reasonable idea to prevent sales to minors of M rated games, and as for training, surely 'Hey guys, you know how you card people for Mature rated movies? do the same for video games please'. That's not $1000s of training to me.

I just think because people are crazy about the idea the kids playing violent games, if we don't as an industry keep them away from kids, the world will just go nuts and try to get them banned altogether.

Again tho, I think the main problem is parental responsibility, you buy GTA for your wailing 8 year old to shut him up, despite the clerk's desperate attempts to educate you about the games content, then you don't get to run off to FOX news because it taught him to call the family pet a ************, and reply to 'tidy your room' with 'what up, *****?'
The thing is, every game store that sells video games already cards people if they wish to buy M games. I know I've been carded multiple times after I turned 18 for buying an M game. Putting a law on it is a kick to the balls of all video gamers with a heavy, steel-toed boot with spikes on it.

This also opens the door for government to put laws on movies and stores. And it gets worse. What's to stop them from banning violence in all video games? What about political ideals? Heck, they could ban swear words from games.

That's why I like what the ECA/EMA is doing by fighting this. Our rights as citizens (Of the States since this is where it's happening), are being shot by a law like this.
What, your right to not be able to buy an 'M' rated game as a minor because no shop will sell it to you without ID? I think you Americans are just a bit too scared of laws. Comments like 'What's to stop them from banning violence in all video games?' are about as helpful as asking 'what's to stop them starting up a Battle Royale-style tv show?' - not very.

Archon said:
But California is taking a new tact to defend its Bill
I think you mean 'tack'.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Therumancer said:

Edit: Fixed major typo in quote.
You might want to actually do some research on the Constitution. That's not meant to be snippy, but simply due to the fact that you have some strong misconceptions about it and the intent, ones that are unfortunatly not uncommon.

See, one of the things that many people who argue about The Constitution rapidly forget is that not only is it a living document, but when it comes to intent and the spirit of what was written the guys who created it left behind numerous examples of how they interpeted it, and how it was intended to be understood. What's more the constitution itself becomes altered through this thing called "precedent", which is to say that when there has been question about the constitution and how it was intended to be interpeted, and a desician was reached, that desician effectively becomes the new interpetation. Then of course this mutates further as people establish precedents based on other precedents. This is why lawyers are in business (and arguably why they are hated by many), it's also why it's important when people refer to other cases in court to prove a precedent that supports an interpetation that they are going to argue.

Now, if you read what I said, you will notice that I myself talked about the letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law, and how both sides of any major issue will argue whichever one happens to support what they want. In this case you can make arguements about what The Constitution itself says, but when it comes to how it was meant to be interpeted in the case of minorities against the majority precedents have been established very early on.

I'm not an expert in this area, as it was only covered in brief (as I was a criminal justice major many years ago) but the point I'm making is that your simply put wrong, as are many people who make arguements based on what The Constitution, Bill Of Rights, or any other ancient document that provides a foundation for our legal system goes because simply put nothing is that simple.

Another point to consider when looking at how things were interpeted, is that a big principle our country was founded on was the idea of not having small minorities of people who could overrule or control the majority and it's will. The idea of majority rule was integral to the entire foundation of The United States and arguably a big part of what lead to the American Revolution. The major point of contention was that we didn't want something akin to a "noble class" being able to set policy which "the mob" would be forced to abide by despite it's wishes, castrating the idea of democracy. However it was also realized that this same logic could apply in reverse with any small group of people having the abillity, even from a humble status, to effectively derail or castrate voting or democratic process. The American ideal of equality is that everyone gets a vote (so to speak) and nobody's vote counts any more than anyone else's. In general a person is not being discriminated against as long as he has his basic rights intact, and got a chance to vote against a policy he winds up having to follow.

If it was straightforward it wouldn't be an ongoing battle, and the country wouldn't be divided pretty much 50-50 along political lines when it comes to the issues that get to the root of this. Our elections being resolved on a razor's edge. Obama himself is one of the more popular preseidents of recent years and at his best when he was elected he only had a 7% lead.

The bottom line is that The Democrats and Republicans *BOTH* claim to be interpeting things properly in a general sense, and both can prove it. That's what creates the mess. When you get down to it though both sides are arguably wrong because the guys who founded the country subscribed to nothing like modern ethics. They supporting things like slavery, and had this tendency to find truely horrible ways for people they didn't like to be disposed of. These are guys that used terms like "protection against unreasonable search and seizure" or "protection from cruel and unusual punishment". Then when you look at the way they interpeted this in the street when they were disposing of British crown loyalists... well, let's just say neither side thinks like they did. To put things into perspective our founding fathers would have dealt with some of the minority vs. majority issues that we deal with today with flogging, stocks, and tar and feathering. Today scholors like to try and argue that these guys must have been against the institution of slavery and things like that, at least in secret, but really they weren't against that either.

At any rate you probably didn't read this far, but that's the problem with discussing complicated issues online. There is no easy way to cover some of these things in enough detail where it matters. See, a lot of people hear a couple of quotes from things like "The Federalist Papers" take it out of context, and don't even bother to look at what the people at the time were actually doing and how they obviously interpeted their own words. Consider especially that when talking about the "tyranny of the majority" which was mostly intended in the context of preventing mob justice through a legal system by most interpetation, that it doesn't have any bearing on the current situation where most of what we consider to be minorities today (and the cultures of which fuel a lot of the central issues) were not even considered to be human.

Ask yourself seriously what would have happened if a couple of hindus happened to be in America decided to try and make an issue out of a town wanting to have a Christmas tree in the town square and a tree lighting party, or paying for it (by agreement) with local tax money. We've progressed since then, since today they would just be voted down (which is a fair way of doing things in a case like this, a vote is fair) back then you'd probably have found their mutilated corpses hanging by the roadside covered with dried tar and white feathers... and guys like Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, or Ben Franklin? None of them would have batted an eye. The moral lesson? You can't invoke the the Constitution in cases totally out of context to it's creation, in cases like this it's the precedents that allow us to hold to modern morality, because if we enforced it according to the way the creators intended it would be brutal.

On a final and doubtlessly unread note, I can understand a desire by liberals who don't want to face the reality of what their party is doing today want to seperate themselves from Mrs. Clinton, consider however though that she is one of the most powerful and influential liberal democrats out there, connected directly to one of the most popular presidents that the party has ever put into office (despite my personal problems with Mr. Clinton).

In general I think one of the big reasons why there is a problem is because people who have been raised to think of the Democrats as good guys, and Republicans as insane are reluctant to change. It's one of those things where the label and what people want to believe about the respective sides (as they are today) supercedes the reality of what is going on.

I tend to see things more clearly than most in a lot of cases like this because in absolute terms I'm not really a follower of either party. I'm registered Republican because I tend to agree with them more as they are for the moment, and I want to be able to vote in their primary. I however DO go very left wing when it comes to things like unions and workers rights (which rarely come up). I unapologetically back "big goverment" when it comes to protecting employees from being too heavily exploited by their employers, the creation and enforcement of safety guidelines, and the protection of people engaging in collective bargaining... many of these things which typically put me at odds with many of those in the Republican Party. In cases of free speech and such, I am not attacking the Democrats (who I do generally support on some issues) because of some political act to grind, but because they really are the bad guys here. The situation when it comes to censorship and media control can easily be reversed, and Republicans have made similar attempts in the past, but as things are right now The Republicans are by and large not on that kind of a push, but the Democrats are so it's the Democrats the need to be dealt with. Should the situation reverse itself, then that is how it will need to be dealt with. I call it as I see it. Trying to deny Mrs. Clinton who is a presidential appointee right now (ie she is acts with the support of her party and The White House) is pretty ridiculous.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
The edifice of Free Speech (the right to speak unfetttered by government regulation and oppression) is only as strong as those who are willing to stand up and fight to defend it.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Sikachu - Doh. You are right. I will now go commit ritual seppuku in shame over my error.

Djinni

Mar 29, 2010
This is an answer for those who believe there is such a thing as too much video game violence for children. Those who do not will of course think that there is no reason for a law. I don't understand why they are responding to this article at all.

For everyone who says its a parenting issue: then isn't everything a parenting issue? Shouldn't we remove all laws specific to minors and let their parents protect them from whatever the laws are currently protecting them from?

If your answer is "no", why not? Either you can control everything they interact with or not.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
So a store employee can knowingly sell an M rated game to a minor against all training and instruction by his/her employer and face no legal consequences, but the employer would be held liable for the employee's willful disregard for the law and be fined by the state? Sure, the employee would lose his/her job, but that sucks for the store. I can see stores in CA severely limiting their sale of M rated games in general, like small stores requiring manager approval to complete a sale or a central pick up window for M-rated games like Toys R Us used to use for all of their games.

This law is inconsistent both in its application and its enforcement: 1) Employees can be charged with a crime for selling minors alcohol and 2) This same standard doesn't apply to music CDs or movies.