Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: Alligator Feeding Frenzy and More Squid Stuff

Inside: Fisherman stumbles upon an alligator feeding frenzy

Read Full Article

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Those super powerful magnets would be fucking awesome.

Red Faction: Armaggedon's magnet gun here I come!

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Those graphene magnets sound awesome! I can't wait to see some of the fun stuff scientists come up with for them in the not-too-distant future.

Also, squids and octopi just get cooler and cooler as time goes on.

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
Graphene, the new material for rail-gun prototypes? Interesting.

Also, squid are weird, and that makes me not want to go to the Baja.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
The American Alligator is protected?

Oh shoot. Not that I ever did that, or ever harassed an alligator or anything. Nope, never.

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
Nice to see more cephalopod related news. And I must say that those magnets are very interesting (and powerful).
Also good that the archaeologists have found that ship. Always good with more knowledge.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
FlameUnquenchable said:
Graphene, the new material for rail-gun prototypes? Interesting.

Also, squid are weird, and that makes me not want to go to the Baja.
Rail guns, cool, I thought of new faster MagLev trains.

Also, squids are evil, they eat Mobula and actually if you catch a squid all his buddies will destroy him for some strange reason.

manaman said:

Oh shoot. Not that I ever did that, or ever harassed an alligator or anything. Nope, never.
If I ever go to Florida and meet an Alligator that has been harassed by you, I'll buy a hat, wear it and then I'd have to tip it in respect.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
ColdStorage said:
manaman said:

If I ever go to Florida and meet an Alligator that has been harassed by you, I'll buy a hat, wear it and then I'd have to tip it in respect.
Didn't anyone ever tell you alligators and mudcrabs are natural enemies.

All jokeing aside, we used to mess with gators often enough down in Texas, the rivers and lakes around the coast where infested with them, they where pretty much all small through, and very rare in the cities.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
manaman said:
ColdStorage said:
manaman said:

All jokeing aside, we used to mess with gators often enough down in Texas, the rivers and lakes around the coast where infested with them, they where pretty much all small through, and very rare in the cities.
Looks like the mudcrabs roll for initiative!.

Don't worry, I know the drill, I used to spend my summers in warthog land in rural France and they are blindingly aggressive things, very tasty and luckily no laws against "harassing" them.

I think you English speakers call them Warthogs anyway, they are big pigs with tusks, I don't mean the cars from Halo.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I'm a bit surprised they've used Kevlar to test a squid bite. It's better than a lot of things, but I was under the impression that its strength was stopping blunt things moving at high speed, and wasn't as good for something that pierces relatively slowly. Oh, well, I must be thinking of something else.

And to put Telsas into more perspective, the 1.5-to-3 Telsas of an MRI machine is enough to violently yank a piece of metal out of your hands from a yard away. Though I wonder if these innovations with graphene will allow us to do away with liquid-helium-doused superconducting MRI magnets and move over to something that works at room temperature. Would allow for more uptime since re-cooling a quenched superconductor magnet is a long and (I gather) expensive process. There's more concerns than just strength of field, though. Stability is also an issue.

Hmmm. It'll be interesting to see.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
ColdStorage said:
manaman said:
ColdStorage said:
manaman said:

Don't worry, I know the drill, I used to spend my summers in warthog land in rural France and they are blindingly aggressive things, very tasty and luckily no laws against "harassing" them.

I think you English speakers call them Warthogs anyway, they are big pigs with tusks, I don't mean the cars from Halo.
Boars, usually.

OT: Looks like I can almost finally get a hoverboard. At long. long last.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
The boat that discovered the Northwest Passage found? Stan Rogers is singing in my head right now.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
LewsTherin said:
ColdStorage said:
manaman said:
ColdStorage said:
manaman said:

Boars, usually.

OT: Looks like I can almost finally get a hoverboard. At long. long last.
Yeah those things!, the minute I read that I thought "I'm an idiot!".

But yeah awful things, very aggressive, same goes for Squids if you catch one put it back into the water, watch all his friends come along and rip him apart.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
ColdStorage said:
manaman said:
ColdStorage said:
manaman said:

We call them; wild boars, razorback, boars [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boar], or something along those lines. warthogs [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warthog] are specific species of pig in Africa. It's rare to run into boar in Texas, they are mostly in California and the South eastern US, but you can find populations of what where once domestic pig all over. Domestic pigs can dwarf wild pigs in size.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Super powerful magents are always fun...imagine the possibilities!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Jaredin said:
Super powerful magents are always fun...imagine the possibilities!
Give them to Mythbusters and we wont have to.

We have Crocodiles in Australia, they're protected too. Thats of no comfort however when one of them decides to take a chunk out of your fishing boat.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
What happened to the funny titles?

Was the shipwrecked ship (ung, weird) still above water? That looks like an archeologist's wet dream. It'd be awesome to find a two century old artifact of that size just forgotten on the banks.

I look forward to flying around in graphene electromagnetic fields. Pchooo.