Science!: Black Holes, Night Vision and Garbage

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: Black Holes, Night Vision and Garbage

Welcome to the debut issue of Science!, your weekly roundup of the latest scientific news. Please exercise caution when entering and exiting, and keep your hands and feet away from the edges.

Read Full Article

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Good lord.

If Escapist keeps updating with all these new columns, I don't think I'll need my TV anymore.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
I enjoyed the first story the best. Chlorophyl enhanced eyes, where do I sign up?

Also, can't we just throw all that trash into black holes?

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Capo Taco said:
I enjoyed the first story the best. Chlorophyl enhanced eyes, where do I sign up?
I'm with this guy. I'd love to be able to see color in the dark.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Nice

Keep 'em science articles coming. I love science!

Addendum; Lol at the scientists vs. public in the black hole piece =P!

Btw, I don't think black holes are 'nearly invisible', they ARE invisible. You can detect them by watching the effects of an alleged black hole on it's surroundings, thus not seeing it.

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Capo Taco said:
Also, can't we just throw all that trash into black holes?
A problem a solution in one article. Last resort: Sick our captured sprite swords on the trash.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Fun stuff, although the article about the swords was a little out of left field. One paragraph of that story had anything remotely science centric about it. I like how scientific research seems to have gone from "What can we study to make life better?" to "What can we study that would be really really cool?"

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Sparrow said:
Good lord.

If Escapist keeps updating with all these new columns, I don't think I'll need my TV anymore.
The only thing I use a television for is gaming. The internet replaced everything else I'd ever need from a television.

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
I agree, the sword story was a bit of a stretch. But, come on, SWORDS! I had to make it work in any way possible.

Gilgamesh00

Nov 22, 2008
Wow, awesome new feature ! Only got to read the first one tonight, I'll read the rest tomorrow but this is great ! I didn't think clorophyll could enhance night vision.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Interesting. I suppose that until the eye drops come out, you could always squeeze plant juice into your eyes.

I did, however, find a guide on how to make homemade night vision goggles using an old disposable camera, some infrared lights, and something called an image intensifier tube, which apparently converts infrared light into electrons and then focuses that into photons...I think. Unfortunately, you do have to buy the tube, but it's only thirty dollars or so on e-bay.

grey_painter

Feb 10, 2009
"Are you going to wear those sunglasses on a night mission?"

*Denton pulls out his chlorophyll eyedropper* "My vision is augmented."

Physicists wont be happy till they've doomed us all with their experiments. At least with us biologist you'll be able to see the mutant super intelligent lab rats coming because of the large ears on their backs.

Sep 13, 2009
Interesting article.

My only thoughts are about the sword article. I think the high quality of the swords he produced is more because of carbon remaining from burning dead tissue, not phosphorus, but I'm no expert on this, I guess someone eventually will prove me wrong.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Brilliant, I was expecting it to be overcomplicated and pretentious. Turns out I was wrong. Very wrong. Very wrong.

It was explained well and genuinely awesome, I look forward to all future installments.