Science!: Chickens, Musclefish and X-Ray Vision

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: Chickens, Musclefish and X-Ray Vision

Let's resurrect us some gyandromorphous dinos!

Read Full Article

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I want a gigatododo too! I'd feed it and wuv it and take it for walks every day! I'll name him Scampers and he will be my best friend!

wtrmute

Jan 21, 2010
Dodos were never much use for anything, but resurrecting Argentavis magnificens would be a blast, I think... ;)

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Cows wouldn't have leg and joint problems if they were swimming o_O. So I don't see any weight issues by super-breeding fish.

Interesting about the see-through thingy. But if we use the light from the other side of a surface, how would we be able to see through skin? Is there a light source inside our bodies I am not aware of?!

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
It seems impressive to extract DNA from an eggshell that's millions of years old, but not so much when you consider a chicken has one billion base pairs in its genome and they only got out 250 of them. But you do the best you can...

I recently had a lecture about those gyandromorphous chickens, but they didn't tell us that the cells in a chicken don't use hormones for growth and development. That's fascinating! Is it just a mammalian thing? And I wonder when it evolved?

Nincompoop said:
Cows wouldn't have leg and joint problems if they were swimming o_O. So I don't see any weight issues by super-breeding fish.

Interesting about the see-through thingy. But if we use the light from the other side of a surface, how would we be able to see through skin? Is there a light source inside our bodies I am not aware of?!
Yes, there is. You are savagely radiating and you don't even know it. It's infrared light. Although I'm not sure if it could be used for imagery...

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Lauren Admire said:
Researchers shot a green laser beam through an 80 micrometer thick layer of paint.
Yes, excellent. But was the laser attached to the head of a frenzied shark?

No?

Perhaps an ill-tempered porpoise?

Really, people, I ask so little of you.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I keep imagining the guy from Jurassic Park shouting 'Nature has found a way!' and then being overrun with chickens, Zelda-style. The fact that the very next news piece was about androgynous chickens didn't help it, either... Seriously speaking, it just goes to show how little science really knows about things like sex (er, as in gender) that one might think is simple.

Is it bad that I read "six pack rainbow trout" and immediately reorganized the words as "rainbow six trout pack" and imagined a DLC for a Rainbow Six games that adds a trout-based game mode?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Screw the birds off, ressurect the hippo sized wombat that he Aboriginals hunted to extinction. Wait a minute, considering how dangerous the Wombat is already, might not be such a good idea.

Nincompoop said:
Buffing the muscles means the fish will weigh more, it's swim bladder has evolved to carry a specific amount of weight. They'd have to increase that too or the fish would drown.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
as a matter, Jurassic park is one of my favorite movies and i think adding chickens into it would only improve it ten fold...=P

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
X-Ray vision would be so useful and useless at the same time. Imagin, been able to see through everything but you would walk into so many walls! lol

carpenteria

Master Draftsman
Mar 27, 2008
Did anyone else watch Jurassic Park and think, man, this would just be so much cooler with chickens? No? Well, neither did I
...BUT some other people did. Behold, Chicken Park! [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167825/plotsummary]

Having said that, now you know it exists, avoid it like the plague. I think I saw it when I was 11 or so, and even then my juvenile mind thought it was pretty stupid.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
In mammals, sex is typically determined by the presence of a gene on the Y chromosome and the influence of hormones that instruct cells to become ovaries or testes. This system was believed to be consistent throughout all vertebrate species.
Mammals != vertebrates. Most birds and some reptiles and fish use Z and W chromosomes [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZW_sex-determination_system].

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
008Zulu said:
Nincompoop said:
Buffing the muscles means the fish will weigh more, it's swim bladder has evolved to carry a specific amount of weight. They'd have to increase that too or the fish would drown.
Sure. That makes sense. But if from birth they would have weighed more than usual, would their bladders be able to evolve in time? I mean, does it have to take a mutation in the species?

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
LTK_70 said:
Nincompoop said:

Yes, there is. You are savagely radiating and you don't even know it. It's infrared light. Although I'm not sure if it could be used for imagery...
I know we radiate. I was referring to visible light.

I was about to make an edit to my comment, asking if other than the visible light could be used. But then the thickness could be over-come by more than a few centimeters. But I think the idea is to make an image, exactly like we see it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Nincompoop said:
008Zulu said:
Nincompoop said:
Sure. That makes sense. But if from birth they would have weighed more than usual, would their bladders be able to evolve in time? I mean, does it have to take a mutation in the species?
It would take a few generations for a an adaption to evolve naturally. As an example, the Brown snake here in Australia was under threat from the Cane Toad (especially toxic glands) when the snake ate it it would be poisoned and die. In the span of about 50 years, it evoled to a smaller head so it would be unable to eat the toad.

Maybe with a little encouragement, the fish wont have to wait that long.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Lauren Admire said:
... explains Allard Mosk of University of Twente in Amsterdam.
The University of Twente is in Enschede, not in Amsterdam. Though he might have been explaining it in Amsterdam...

So, cloned, androgynous chickens with x-ray vision vs. super strong trout. there must be a movie in there somewhere.

BBird00

Aug 13, 2008
You know, there's actually a very unpopular and very crappy spoof of Jurassic Park called Chicken Park. I'm not joking. This is real. I saw it about 7 years ago when i was in high school and it was so utterly awful that we couldn't stop laughing.

The most memorable part was when the female love interest said she was getting so hot, and the main male protagonist agreed and started cooking spaghetti on her "hot" tummy.

Again... this is a real movie... somehow...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Park

..... really.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
overmuscled fishes?

THen we are going to eat the mutated things? No thanks. ENough chemical/hormonal crap in our food already.