Science Discovers That Teenage Girls Talk Too Much

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
slayaDmoney said:
Thanks for being the 1st 2 quote me.

Also, I find it retarded that scientists keep coming out with studies like this and about "oh video games make kids shoot each other" it's bullshit. people have been killing each other long before video games and they will continue to do so long after they are gone (which is hopefully never). i will stop bitching about scientists bithching about studies like this only after they have used their time for more productive and meaningful things like curing cancer, curing aids, ending world hunger, and finding new forms of energy.
No problems. :)
And completely agreed. Cancer is bad, so is AIDs.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
No more woe and drama than would otherwise be in their lives.
Merciless.Fire said:
If anyone reads Popular Science, this article would be my pick for "Science Confirms The Obvious!" section they do every once in awhile.
High Five! I was just thinking of Popsci.

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
Well now. Scientist get really bored now don't they?

And all my friends that are girls either don't talk at all, or when they do, it's worth talking to. Not just random bullshit that comes out of half of the teenage society nowadays.

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
Oh really? Anyone ever went to high school recently? Or even asked someone that was in high/middle school? I know this girl that is so addicted to her phone she punched me in the face when I (not seriously) tryed to take her phone away.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
ace_of_something said:
Yeah, because teenage boys never have any problems.

Apart from their higher levels of suicide, obviously.
While boys COMMIT suicide more than girls. Girls ATTEMPT suicide much more often then boys. The difference being method. Girls tend to try chemical means, (less violent) which gives more time for recovery and more margin of error. Boys however are more likely to use a violent method like a gun or hanging, which is pretty much instant.

This is also true for adults.
As in Wikipedia, I'd have to call citation needed. Also, attempted suicide is often a case for a cry for attention, whilst suicide itself is rarely if ever.

From the National Statistics: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1092 : In 2007 there were 5,377 suicides in adults aged 15 and over, 177 less than in 2006 (5,554) and 940 less than in 1991 (6,317). Three-quarters of the suicides in 2007 were men, and this proportion has remained fairly constant throughout the 1991-2007 period.

Also : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7244486.stm :However, the proportion of women aged 15 to 34 committing suicide by hanging has increased "massively" - from 5.7% of all suicides in 1968 to 47.3% by 2005.

So that would tend to disprove your "violence" theory.
Alas, all i have to go on is a pending masters in sociology/childhood development. A BS in Criminal Justice (which is a social science) and many different classes and text books and a uniform crime report from the united states which is where they're pulling this from. Rather then internet pages i don't care to look up.

EDit: that came off as really condescending didn't mean it that way.

http://www.teensuicide.us/articles1.html
http://www.who.int/mental_health/media/unitstates.pdf

Statistic as a whole are always misleading cuz they never factor in everything.

The answer is we're both right. And this proves something interesting about gun control. Your data is from the UK where no guns (the young males preferred method) are available mine is from the USA. That is the difference.

Either way, all teenagers have problems.

We're both right. You're using English Data. I am using American

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Great, well now we can make hose teenage girls turn those frowns upside down, now all we need is more funding...Hmm...well they haven't been making much progress with AIDS, let's just take theirs.

STOP STUDYING USELESS SHIT AND GO SOLVE AN ACTUAL FUCKING PROBLEM.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Okay, all I did was read the title and didn't bother reading the article and all I could think up was;

Fucking AWESOME!

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Where do you FIND news like this? I agree with most of the nay-sayers on this one, talking about somehting that depresses you or makes you angry is called catharsis, or the taking out of emotions, and overall catharsis can usually be a good thing.
I thought catharsis was related to Greek drama? As in the hero discovering the error in their way and somehow making up for it (by killing someone or being killed, usually).

Merciless.Fire said:
If anyone reads Popular Science, this article would be my pick for "Science Confirms The Obvious!" section they do every once in awhile.
That section is amazing, always makes me laugh.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Clashero said:
I thought catharsis was related to Greek drama? As in the hero discovering the error in their way and somehow making up for it (by killing someone or being killed, usually).
That IS a definition of Catharsis. But it has a different meaning in psychology.

Church256

Jul 24, 2008
Well done scientists you've finally caught up into this century. Now fix the problem. Science isn't just about discovery.

Uberjoe19

Spartacus
Jan 25, 2009
Yeah, because teenage boys never have any problems.

Apart from their higher levels of suicide, obviously.
Find me any research that says that guys are more easily depressed than girls. Guys kill themselves more because they are showing off to the guys and trying to impress them.