Science Discovers That Teenage Girls Talk Too Much

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Yeah, because teenage boys never have any problems.

Apart from their higher levels of suicide, obviously.
That right there is a strawman argument. The article had nothing to do with boy's suicides or comparisons it just pointed out what may be a main contributor to female depression. So did you say that because the article offended you, the topic offended you or you're just depressed and use facebook frequently?

Feb 13, 2008
hypothetical fact said:

That right there is a strawman argument. The article had nothing to do with boy's suicides or comparisons it just pointed out what may be a main contributor to female depression. So did you say that because the article offended you, the topic offended you or you're just depressed and use facebook frequently?
Uh, I said that, 6 months ago, because
"It's most likely they are discussing the game last night or meeting up, "
Given that teenage boys have a higher level of suicide, it's more likely, and significant, that the boys are suffering from an excessive level of depression to cause that.
Whether we're "discussing the game" or not.
Which means that her studies conclusion cannot apply to adolescents, like she states it does, but only adolescent girls. Having a strawman conclusion within a scientific piece of work is far worse than my heavy sarcasm.
As for going on Bookface, *urgggh*, like, whatever!

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Give me the results of a 50-year study and I'll believe what is discovered, but a one-year study conducted by some run-of-the-mill university professor (doctorate or not) is to me about as credible as a 4-Chan post.

Tween/Teen girls yap a lot, sure. Don't need a study to know that. Makes em more depressed? How the fuck would this study prove that, when half the damn country is on anti-depressants? Maybe it's not Facebook and MSN. Maybe it's simply the glow of a computer monitor that causes depression, or the color of their ceiling, the number of eyelets in their shoes, or any of a million other similarities between the girls. For that matter, does this Dr. Davila have a control group to measure against? Did she question a batch of girls who don't IM, Text, or so on?
What he said. Our scientists need to get back to work on intergalactic travel, and get significant others.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
i read that article and I see that girls with depression has higher levels of depression an year later. That doesn't prove their conclusion that talking too much can lead to higher levels of depression.

It just means an year has passed with depressed girls that hasn't been treated for their depression. Obviously they got worse.

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
I guessed i never realized this before...
Thanks science!

soilent

Jan 2, 2010
uppitycracker said:
ace_of_something said:

While boys COMMIT suicide more than girls. Girls ATTEMPT suicide much more often then boys. The difference being method. Girls tend to try chemical means, (less violent) which gives more time for recovery and more margin of error. Boys however are more likely to use a violent method like a gun or hanging, which is pretty much instant.

This is also true for adults.
As in Wikipedia, I'd have to call citation needed. Also, attempted suicide is often a case for a cry for attention, whilst suicide itself is rarely if ever.

From the National Statistics: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1092 : In 2007 there were 5,377 suicides in adults aged 15 and over, 177 less than in 2006 (5,554) and 940 less than in 1991 (6,317). Three-quarters of the suicides in 2007 were men, and this proportion has remained fairly constant throughout the 1991-2007 period.

Also : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7244486.stm :However, the proportion of women aged 15 to 34 committing suicide by hanging has increased "massively" - from 5.7% of all suicides in 1968 to 47.3% by 2005.

So that would tend to disprove your "violence" theory.
Well, in his defense, I can say that when I was in school, there were a ton more chicks "attempting suicide" than guys that actually succeeded. Granted, it was mainly that overdramatic cry for help type of BS, and I was surrounded by a lot of pretty fuct up individuals.
[Sarcasm]
honestly, its just women are figuring out how to do it right, took em long enough...
[/Sarcasm]