Science Discovers That Teenage Girls Talk Too Much

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Science Discovers That Teenage Girls Talk Too Much

A recent study published in the Journal of Adolescence [http://www.elsevier.com/locate/adolescence] claims that "excessive" use of instant messaging and social networks can lead to significantly higher levels of depression - among 14-year-old girls.

The problem, according to Stony Brook University [http://www.sunysb.edu/] Professor Dr. Joanne Davila, is that easy access to email, social networks and other forms of always-on communications leads to excessive and repetitive discussions of the same problem, also known as "co-rumination," which can worsen the mood of teenage girls and create negative emotions. "There is a wealth of communication technology available to teens today that allows them to talk over and over again about the same emotional difficulties," Davila said. "Texting, instant messaging and social networking make it very easy for adolescents to become even more anxious, which can lead to depression."

Davila's study interviewed 83 girls around 13 years of age, asking questions about how much time they spent talking to friends about their problems and how often they "revisited" the same problems, and also given a test for depressive symptoms. A year later they were contacted with follow-up questions and were given the test again; higher levels of discussing problems with friends were "significantly" linked to higher levels of depression.

"Lots of talking can help if those involved have strong problem-solving skills because it helps them reach a solution and it builds friendships," Davila said. But she also warned that teenagers "often don't realize that excessive talking is actually making them feel worse." And while girls are the focus of Davila's study, she added that the proliferation of communications technology could eventually lead to more "co-rumination" between teenage boys as well. "It's most likely they are discussing the game last night or meeting up, but there's a possibility they could start discussing emotional problems more than in the past which would put them at risk," she said.

I've never been a teenage girl myself but I had the opportunity to spend many of my formative years living in the same house as one of them, and here's a newsflash: Long before the advent of MSN [http://www.facebook.com] and text messaging, I lost count of how many times the whole friggin' world came crashing down around us because somebody was being such a *****. Does modern technology facilitate personal communication on a scale never before seen? Absolutely. Are the lives of teenage girls packed with drama and woe because of it? I don't think so.

Source: ReadWriteWeb [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1132788/Why-chatting-long-Facebook-girl-down.html]

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
In other news, research finds that food can taste good! Seriously though, these scientists must be getting extremely bored.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
I don't talk much... I've always been a quiet person.
I speak when spoken to, but only if I have something to say. I find it hard enough talking to people about random stuff even if that person was there, so me talking about my feelings/emotions to someone is about as likely as the world ending in 2012, which is very unlikely.
And all this is because of depression.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Yeah, because teenage boys never have any problems.

Apart from their higher levels of suicide, obviously.
While boys COMMIT suicide more than girls. Girls ATTEMPT suicide much more often then boys. The difference being method. Girls tend to try chemical means, (less violent) which gives more time for recovery and more margin of error. Boys however are more likely to use a violent method like a gun or hanging, which is pretty much instant.

This is also true for adults.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
uppitycracker said:
In other news, research finds that food can taste good! Seriously though, these scientists must be getting extremely bored.
I have to admit when I saw the title my first thought was "scientists have just discovered fish breathe water, or air contains oxygen!"

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Drake the Dragonheart said:
uppitycracker said:
I have to admit when I saw the title my first thought was "scientists have just discovered fish breathe water, or air contains oxygen!"
Ditto guys, glad to see that tax payer money was well spent on something like this.

barryween

Apr 17, 2008
GOD DAMN! These scientists are hot shit! Give them the nobel peace prize! Oh wait...
That was already discovered by EVERY GOD DAMNED PERSON ON EARTH!

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Drake the Dragonheart said:
uppitycracker said:
If science is good for one thing, it's proving what we already know.

And science fiction.

s0ap sudz

Aug 28, 2008
ace_of_something said:

While boys COMMIT suicide more than girls. Girls ATTEMPT suicide much more often then boys. The difference being method. Girls tend to try chemical means, (less violent) which gives more time for recovery and more margin of error. Boys however are more likely to use a violent method like a gun or hanging, which is pretty much instant.

You learn something new every day! Yeah!

Feb 13, 2008
ace_of_something said:

As in Wikipedia, I'd have to call citation needed. Also, attempted suicide is often a case for a cry for attention, whilst suicide itself is rarely if ever.

From the National Statistics: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1092 : In 2007 there were 5,377 suicides in adults aged 15 and over, 177 less than in 2006 (5,554) and 940 less than in 1991 (6,317). Three-quarters of the suicides in 2007 were men, and this proportion has remained fairly constant throughout the 1991-2007 period.

Also : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7244486.stm :However, the proportion of women aged 15 to 34 committing suicide by hanging has increased "massively" - from 5.7% of all suicides in 1968 to 47.3% by 2005.

So that would tend to disprove your "violence" theory.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
Well hanging is a sure fire way of killing yourself, you know, if that's what you're into... But I have no problem with people commiting suicide if it's for a good reason.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Well, personally I noticed after a while that talking about a problem I had at the time just made me feel worse about it, so I stopped.

This was after my ex repeatedly stabbed me in the back/through the heart.

So I guess I'm still a teenager at heart?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
ace_of_something said:

As in Wikipedia, I'd have to call citation needed. Also, attempted suicide is often a case for a cry for attention, whilst suicide itself is rarely if ever.

From the National Statistics: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1092 : In 2007 there were 5,377 suicides in adults aged 15 and over, 177 less than in 2006 (5,554) and 940 less than in 1991 (6,317). Three-quarters of the suicides in 2007 were men, and this proportion has remained fairly constant throughout the 1991-2007 period.

Also : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7244486.stm :However, the proportion of women aged 15 to 34 committing suicide by hanging has increased "massively" - from 5.7% of all suicides in 1968 to 47.3% by 2005.

So that would tend to disprove your "violence" theory.
Well, in his defense, I can say that when I was in school, there were a ton more chicks "attempting suicide" than guys that actually succeeded. Granted, it was mainly that overdramatic cry for help type of BS, and I was surrounded by a lot of pretty fuct up individuals.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
The title made me chuckle. "No shit?" I thought.

Yes, I have nothing more to contribute.

Metonym

Jan 21, 2008
Correlation is not causality.

Digital rumination the bane of modern civilisation.