Science Explains Why We Love Guitar Hero

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
"When I push the button, I hear Keith Richards," Marcus explained. "When I fail to push the button (or press the wrong button, or press it late), I don't hear Keith Richards. Therefore, I am Keith Richards!"

Sounds like the line at the end of a macabre sci-fi movie like
"therefore, Soylent green is people!"
"I am... legend"

"therefore, I am Keith Richards!"

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I think most people would figure out something to that effect if they sit down and think about it, but major props to the guy for breaking it down so candidly.

Rensa said:
That's ridiculous. Playing music from an actual instrument doesn't involve that much more in the way of mental or phsyical skill; the only differences are that you don't get visual cues for rhythm. You still play each note sequentially as it comes up on the music sheet.
No. Just...no.

Even if that statement wasn't completely wrong it'd still miss the point of the article.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
Didn't we already know this, except with a simpler explaination? It's an instant gratification system; push the right button, you get the music. Short burst of effort, instant reward.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
He's still pissy at the massive vertical difficulty curve in GH3. His meteoric rise to fake plastic stardom was shattered by Neversoft's shithouse noteplacement, so he dedicated his life to destroying the fake plastic genre.

Here's an idea. Get in on this. I know, it's going to sound really silly, but hear me out.

People play Rock Band and Guitar Hero because they're fun.

*GASP!*

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
twcblaze said:
buy teh haloz said:
That still doesn't explain why Guitar Hero now has like, more than 14 games in the space of 5 years, and why everyone is buying them.

I call it The Activision Effect. Milk the Sequels for Cash. Everyone says they're sick of them. Everyone buys them. And Kick out ANY games that don't have the potential to pull sequels and spinoffs out of their ass.

It's Science!
it'll be proven again if they try to make a prototype sequel.
Oh, they will.

And it will be AWESOME!

Standby

Jul 24, 2008
Why stop at Guitar Hero and Rock Band? Surely that theory could apply to the majority of games?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Megacherv said:
Malygris said:
"When I push the button, I hear Keith Richards," Marcus explained. "When I fail to push the button (or press the wrong button, or press it late), I don't hear Keith Richards. Therefore, I am Keith Richards!"
That's the best bit of the article, right there.
Agreed. Makes me want to stand up and shout "I AM MCLOVIN!" or "I AM SPARTACUS!" or "I AM BEOWULF!" or "I. AM. CANADIAN!" but I don't want to disrupt my roommates while they're watching True Blood.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
I'm trying and failing to envision a universe where I would want to imagine I was Keith Richards. Anyhow, I don't love Guitar Hero as I actually play a real musical instrument and therefore don't need to pretend to in a videogame.
steakheart said:
twcblaze said:
it'll be proven again if they try to make a prototype sequel.
Oh, they will.

And it will be AWESOME!
I haven't quite finished it yet - is there something about the ending that would necessarily preclude a sequel, or was that a dig at the quality or something?

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
And I can explain why people think the games are bad. Because people think not being different is bad (in terms of gaming) Its the same thing, but different songs. And its not like you have to buy the instruments more than once.

Gildan Bladeborn said:
I'm trying and failing to envision a universe where I would want to imagine I was Keith Richards. Anyhow, I don't love Guitar Hero as I actually play a real musical instrument and therefore don't need to pretend to in a videogame.
Can you play it online though? Or with ANY friend, even those who dont know how to play a real instrument?

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
are you sure science explained this? are you sure a scientist didn't just post random BS in a blog?

SendMeNoodz84

Jun 11, 2009
APPCRASH said:
It took them that long to figure out kids like to believe they are something more than...just kids?
Your post count = 1337. FREEZE. Dont you dare post!

OT: Once again, science states the obvious. The point of Guitar Hero is for the player to feel like a REAL guitar hero.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
I only like it when I'm drunk.... but then there's alot of things I only like when I'm drunk. What do you say to that, Science?

leviathanmisha

Jun 21, 2009
Wow, thank you science, now I think I shall return to the art room and draw pretty pictures that science will analyze cause it has no life.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
I think it's pretty pretentious to assume that actually pressing button combinations or hitting small circular rubber pads in time with music in no way involves the player. If you take this stance then you could easily analog TV watching and Video gaming to be one where you watch one for entertainment and information while you use the other to sate your thirst for control over your domain.

It also completely removes the social aspect of the game from the equation and ignores the ease of access for non gamers. There is a reason Bejeweled was so popular and it's not control issues.

Social scientists really need to stop generalizing in populations they know so little about...