Science Explains Why We Love Guitar Hero

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
"Lust" is simply not the right name for it. "Fear" is more akin to the desire to be in control than "lust".

It also takes a pipsqueak intellect to believe little subconscious fear-queues designed to make you think you're some rock god while playing the game. I mean, really. You're not even playing an actual character on-stage - all they do is have a "I'm playing right" script and an "oh that was a mistake" animation. These games provide low-production gaming for a full release price. Therefore, they're pathetic plastic pieces of pus.

Which explains why I'm not interested in either Rockband or Guitar Hero. :p I'm too old and educated for them.

One more thing. More than likely, this was a shameless plug to gain dirty funding for science. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the case, anyway.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
Wow, people play videogames to feel powerful? This totally counts as news. Give him the nobel prize.

Rensa

Nov 4, 2008
Island said:
I'm guessing you don't play an instrument, but as a musician let me tell you playing a real instrument takes an immense amount of mental and physical skill in comparison to guitar hero. people can pick up a guitar hero guitar and play it on easy the first time they try. try an pick up a cello and see if you can just play it. people spend their entire lives perfecting there craft as a musician. people play guitar hero for a couple of months and can beat it on the hardest setting.
I perhaps phrased that badly. I shouldn't have said that playing an instrument requires only slightly more skill; obviously I am aware Guitar Hero is a watered down version of the experience of playing an instrument and requires like skill, finesse and subtlety (I played clarinet for a few years when I was younger). The point I'm trying to make is that they're many of the same skills: sure, each instrument has idiosyncracies like blowing or hitting a string correctly, but the elements involved in playing songs is essentially the same. I might as well say that, when I blow through the reed correctly and cover the holes or push the buttons on the clarinet correctly, I get a nice tune like a hamster looking for a treat.

Yes, I recognise that an instrument is more flexible than Rock Band; you can improvise, create and modify songs and tweak the construction to alter sounds to a near unlimited extent. But I don't think it's fair to reduce Guitar Hero's appeal to simply biochemical reward structures in the brain when many of those mechanisms apply to playing real music too.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
You could apply this to any game.

"When you press right, Mario moves. When you don't, he does not. THEREFOR YOU ARE MARIO!"

No, that's not why Guitar Hero and Rock Band are popular. That's why VIDEO GAMES are popular. Try again.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Malygris said:
"When I push the button, I hear Keith Richards," Marcus explained. "When I fail to push the button (or press the wrong button, or press it late), I don't hear Keith Richards. Therefore, I am Keith Richards!"
This is a hilarious quote.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Kiutu said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:
I'm trying and failing to envision a universe where I would want to imagine I was Keith Richards. Anyhow, I don't love Guitar Hero as I actually play a real musical instrument and therefore don't need to pretend to in a videogame.
Can you play it online though? Or with ANY friend, even those who dont know how to play a real instrument?
... Why would I want to? I don't play video-games so I can pretend to play instruments at parties - I prefer my games to involve things I can't reasonably do in real life thanks.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Ninja_X said:
It took them this long to figure this out?

Science=fail
No, it took them this long to support the conclusion so many derived with minimal effort.

Think of science as a mighty pimp-slap upside the head of aimless thinking. You have to start back behind your own head to do it properly.

Interwebs: "It's the music, or maybe the simulated learning of an instrument..."
Science: *slap* "It's because people want to be cool, and powerful."
Interwebs: "But I already knew that about games. What does that have to do with Rock Band?"
Science: "Did I just hear you backtalk me, *****? I think you might need a little 'peer review'..." *slap*

Science is a ruthless mofo. We'd best pay some respect.

Anyway, I'm glad they did the study.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
I thought I liked it cause I like colors, challenges and playing fake guitar (even though I can actually play real guitar)

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I don't love Guitar Hero, nor Rock Band, and see little appeal in its format. Now if either actually used a person's mind, and did it Simon style, then I can see them being decent games. Have a chord roll by, and then the player has to play it, from memory. I agree with those who say this could kill future rock bands. It dumbs down the play so that anyone who plays it, gets their talent sucked right out of them.
Science=fail
Addendum:
crazyhaircut94 said:
I thought I liked it cause I like colors, challenges and playing fake guitar (even though I can actually play real guitar)
Please prove to be the exception to the rule!

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
I don't even remotely enjoy any of these games.

It's okay to push colored buttons to make things happen (see gaming), as long as I'm not pushing buttons in the actual game, by pushing buttons, which I'm doing in Guitar Hero...

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Ahh, see, I enjoy Guitar Hero 'cos it means I can get together with a bunch of my mates, sit around the living room and bang out some Pretend that we're Dead, Creep or I Think I'm Paranoid. Or even Mississipi Queen, when we feel like playing something we've heard a gazillion times before. I've also played bass on Eye of the Tiger, on Rock Band, in front of at least a hundred people - that was properly epic.

This study completely removes the social interaction benefit of these games. It's co-op in a way that no other game will ever truly get.

PyroZombie

Apr 24, 2009
Thank you science, for telling us that we all want to be rock stars. maybe next time you can tell us that we also like air and sex.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I summed this up about 5 minutes after I first unpacked it and played it in front of my mate.

Guitar Hero works and feels so enjoyable because of the massive gaping chasm between how it makes you look (an idiot with a Fisher Price playschool guitar) and how it makes you feel (a bona fide rock god).

Everyone looks like a twat playing GH, but the vital part of the equation is that you don't CARE, because it's so much fun.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Oh and as for the whole real musician / Guitar Hero debate, here's my take.

I suggest that if Lewis Hamilton, Formula One driver tried Burnout, he'd love it, as it's the essence of racing, without all the stress, practice, theory, revision, and potential death, and with the fun parts ranked up to 11 (apart from the free drugs and hookers).

I really don't think people who have the urge to make a band and make music are going to play GH and dedicate their life to that instead. It does give us hopeless fumbling idiots without any natural ability the chance to feel like we have some talent, just for a fleeting moment, you really want to take that away? I'm not coming to your live show you mean mean person!

Orang.Otang

Aug 17, 2009
paypuh said:
That assessment could be made for almost any game.

When I kill opposing forces, I am a soldier a la CoD. When I don't, I die. Therefore, I am a soldier.

-or-

When I pull off the right attack, I am Cloud Strife. When I don't, I die. Therefore, I am Cloud Strife.
I wouldn't take the syllogism too literally.