Science Explains Why We Love Guitar Hero

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Doth said:
seem like the stupidest games on Earth
Apparently this professor flunked English.
I am disappointest.
"Stupid" only has 2 syllables, and falls into a special category of comparative superlatives. "Stupidest" isn't incorrect. You only absolutely have to go for "most ___" when it's 3 or more syllables. Thanks for playing.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
See, I thought it was because the games were fun. Thank God for psychologists. Otherwise I wouldn't know why I do anything.

Oh, wait. Yes I do. Because I'm the one effing doing it.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
Kiutu said:
And I can explain why people think the games are bad. Because people think not being different is bad (in terms of gaming) Its the same thing, but different songs. And its not like you have to buy the instruments more than once.
Gildan Bladeborn said:
I'm trying and failing to envision a universe where I would want to imagine I was Keith Richards. Anyhow, I don't love Guitar Hero as I actually play a real musical instrument and therefore don't need to pretend to in a videogame.
Can you play it online though? Or with ANY friend, even those who dont know how to play a real instrument?
Well you can't play guitar hero with someone who doesn't know how to play guitar hero.. Like for example I couldn't play it with my mom. Most of my friends would rather play an instrument with me, than guitar hero.

Anyway, playing an instrument is about being creative. If you want to get together with a friend and play songs that have already been written, it doesn't make a lot of difference if your instrument is wood or plastic. The moment you want to make something new, or play the same old song in a new way, guitar hero becomes invalid.

Also, most people probably whine about the sequels because they don't really bring out anything significant, apart from a new songlist, which people feel could easily be made downloadable.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
I think we all knew this, but the way he explained it just gave the biological reason for it.

Explains ALL of gaming, actually. COD4=Soldier, Splinter Cell=Assassin, Oblivion/Fallout=anything from thief to a Knight.

Hmmm

Doth

Apr 2, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
Doth said:
seem like the stupidest games on Earth
Apparently this professor flunked English.
I am disappointest.
"Stupid" only has 2 syllables, and falls into a special category of comparative superlatives. "Stupidest" isn't incorrect. You only absolutely have to go for "most ___" when it's 3 or more syllables. Thanks for playing.
http://languageandgrammar.com/2008/05/09/stupid-grammar-error/ said:
Stupid is just like lucid (same -id ending). The comparative form is more lucid, and the superlative form is most lucid. Likewise, the comparative form of stupid is more stupid, and the superlative form is most stupid. In fact, in general, -id words use more and most instead of -er and -est. (The water was more tepid, he was the most lucid, they could have been more candid, his reflexes have grown more torpid, the milk was the most rancid, his tongue had grown more acrid. No one would even think to say tepidest, lucidest, candidest, torpidest, rancidest, or acridest.)
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Thank you for your cooperation.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Klepa said:
Kiutu said:
And I can explain why people think the games are bad. Because people think not being different is bad (in terms of gaming) Its the same thing, but different songs. And its not like you have to buy the instruments more than once.
Gildan Bladeborn said:
I'm trying and failing to envision a universe where I would want to imagine I was Keith Richards. Anyhow, I don't love Guitar Hero as I actually play a real musical instrument and therefore don't need to pretend to in a videogame.
Can you play it online though? Or with ANY friend, even those who dont know how to play a real instrument?
Well you can't play guitar hero with someone who doesn't know how to play guitar hero.. Like for example I couldn't play it with my mom. Most of my friends would rather play an instrument with me, than guitar hero.

Anyway, playing an instrument is about being creative. If you want to get together with a friend and play songs that have already been written, it doesn't make a lot of difference if your instrument is wood or plastic. The moment you want to make something new, or play the same old song in a new way, guitar hero becomes invalid.

Also, most people probably whine about the sequels because they don't really bring out anything significant, apart from a new songlist, which people feel could easily be made downloadable.
Yes thats why they whine about it, but I dont see much need for them TO bring much new besides songs. Kareoke has nto really changed in years, just more songs, nor has Dance Dance Revolution, and does not Guitar Hero and Rockband fall in with them?

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Ah, they neglected to mention how actual guitarists play it for the timing of songs and finger control alone.

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
Gildan Bladeborn said:
steakheart said:
twcblaze said:
it'll be proven again if they try to make a prototype sequel.
Oh, they will.

And it will be AWESOME!
I haven't quite finished it yet - is there something about the ending that would necessarily preclude a sequel, or was that a dig at the quality or something?
The former option. The ending leaves quite a bit to ponder, so yeah.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Orang.Otang said:
paypuh said:
That assessment could be made for almost any game.

When I kill opposing forces, I am a soldier a la CoD. When I don't, I die. Therefore, I am a soldier.

-or-

When I pull off the right attack, I am Cloud Strife. When I don't, I die. Therefore, I am Cloud Strife.
I wouldn't take the syllogism too literally.
Just proving a point. Virtual reality is basically like controlling a cooler, more apt person no matter what the game.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
Kiutu said:
Klepa said:
Kiutu said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:

Yes thats why they whine about it, but I dont see much need for them TO bring much new besides songs. Kareoke has nto really changed in years, just more songs, nor has Dance Dance Revolution, and does not Guitar Hero and Rockband fall in with them?
Yes it definitely does.

The price may be justified by looking at the amount of songs you get for the price you have to pay. Guitar Hero 5 features 85 songs, that's less than a dollar per song, depending on the platform you buy the game.
However, Activision and EA are making stupidly easy money for just buying rights from a record label, and putting those songs on the shelves. Neither of the companies really have to put a lot of effort into releasing a new game. Which is painfully obvious if you consider how they've released around 13 titles in four years.
So the perceived problem doesn't lie in the pricing, but on the business model itself. If any company anywhere would be able to make song packs for Guitar Hero and Rock Band, the prices would probably start to drop, and people wouldn't have to pay for so many songs they don't like. Just compare it to how Karaoke works, from the moneymaking perspective, and you'll hopefully see what I'm after.