Science!: Fanged Frogs, Botflies and Tequila

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: Fanged Frogs, Botflies and Tequila

Just when you thought it was safe to go outside again...

Read Full Article

grey_painter

Feb 10, 2009
The link in the text for the Ghostshark isn't working, just so you know.

Just the mention of the botfly has me scratching my head and shivering in terror.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Oh man... I watched that video on the botfly larvae... I couldn't make it and I have a very strong stomach.

I'm officially never leaving my house ever again.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Kwil said:
Hah, and people thought Dead Rising was just a game.. now we see it for what it truly is.. prophecy!

All hail our new phorid overlords.
You amuse me.

I too enjoy this new column, keep up the good work.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
popdafoo said:
Oh man... I watched that video on the botfly larvae... I couldn't make it and I have a very strong stomach.
Mmyeah, I think you've convinced me to go ahead and not click that link myself.

It's a pity there's so many species disappearing before we even know about them. Who knows what we could have learned from all the creatures that we've blindly destroyed, or that have been lost to pure chance?

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
I don't know what this is doing on a gaming website, but I'm not complaining. Interesting stuff, keep it comin'.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Oh my god that botfly video was so awesome! Awesome yet nauseating....wait, yeah there's the horrific nausea setting in. I mean just wow, disgusting, but so awesome at the same time. Perhaps I missed my calling for the medical field when I went into computer science that stuff seems so much cooler.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
Several years ago, in Zoology class, I learned of a fascinating parasite that uses ants, as well as snails and cows, in its life cycle. The Lancet Liver Fluke starts off as eggs in the feces of cows, which are in turn ingested by snails. The snails, in an attempt to ward off the infecting larvae, create cysts to capture the buggers and secretes them in their slime trail. The ants, ingest the slime, and infect themselves with the larvae.

Here's where the groovy part comes in. While dozens of larvae are continuing to develop, one takes control of the ant and in the evening, forces the ant to climb a blade of grass and wait until dawn or until it is ingested by another cow. If the ant is not ingested by morning, it lets the ant continue with its normal activity, as if nothing happened, until the next night. Awesome stuff!

Thanks for reminding me of this little tidbit, Lauren. I'm really enjoying your article.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Wow, that video was pretty cool =) It wasn't even really so gross, except for the blurt of pussy stuff that came out afterwards. I think my pathology courses have hardened me... =P I can understand how it must have really hurt getting the fat back part out, and then releasing the goo, but I wonder if she felt afterwards like someone had just squeezed the worst pimple ever and released all the pressure...sorry, kind of a gross speculation, but I'm curious.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Dude, this was a great article! It falls in a sweet spot between the comedic yet tiny Cracked.com nature articles and the informative yet dull National Geographic articles. I'll definitely be reading these articles regularly, you can be sure of that!

Also: Fanged Frogs? Spooky.
[small][sup](Hmm... I wonder what they taste like...)[/sup][/small]

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I loved this weeks SCIENCE! I hope each week in October there are more Ghoulish and Spooky science facts added since we are coming up on Halloween and all.

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
Having more confirmation that birds evolved from dinosaurs has given new insight to the hawk we saw eating a smaller bird on a branch outside of one of our weekly meetings this week. It was a dinosaur eating another dinosaur. Yes, it did stop the entire meeting for minutes.

If that didn't amaze you, a mockingbird... erm, mockingdinosaur, came up to the hawk WHILE IT WAS EATING and was harassing it (flying into it, squawking, flicking it's dino-tail).