Science!: Gambling, Beer Bones and Wind Tunnels

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: Gambling, Beer Bones and Wind Tunnels

It's no coincidence that scientists often have the strongest bones.

Read Full Article

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Lauren Admire said:
When they finally do laugh, they get more pleasure out of the joke than men do
I will keep that in mind every time a girl laughs at a dead baby joke...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Scrythe said:
Lauren Admire said:
When they finally do laugh, they get more pleasure out of the joke than men do
I will keep that in mind every time a girl laughs at a dead baby joke...
lol...I got a shudder up my spine from that

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
The Science Daily link for the loss aversion segment has a few more interesting tidbits:
Science Daily said:
These lesions prevent the patients from perceiving, recognising or feeling fear. For example, the patients can recognise all other emotions in a person's face, but if shown a fearful face they cannot say what emotion that person is experiencing.
That was pretty surprising to me. Also interesting was the differentiation between loss aversion and risk aversion:
Science Daily said:
Dr De Martino and colleagues also investigated whether, as well as being 'loss averse', the patients were also 'risk averse'. Risk aversion and loss aversion are two similar, but not identical, processes and as such can be easily confused. People who are 'risk averse' are less likely to take chances even when they do not stand to lose anything.

The volunteers were again asked to make a decision based on the outcome of a coin toss. However, in this situation, the options were either to take a set amount without gambling (for example, $5), or gamble with a chance of winning $10 or receiving nothing but not losses were involved. In this experiment, both patients and controls showed little difference in their decisions, suggesting that the amygdala goes not control this aspect of risk taking.
Interesting. I would've thought people would consider the $5 to be theirs already, since it could be obtained with no risk, so I found it surprising that the subjects immune to loss aversion behaved the same as the rest. I guess it really does make a difference for people how things are worded.

I'm sure game shows like "Deal or No Deal" and "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire?" word things specifically to take advantage of this effect (telling contestants they already have the money currently on the board specifically so they will be more likely to walk away). In the $5 (100%) / $10 (50%) case, it would make no difference to them, as their average payout will be $5 either way. But when payouts increase exponentially, it is less expensive to encourage contestants to walk away with less. I had actually wondered why they did that. Now I know. : )

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Is it bad that I've grown to completely disregard anything that cites the Daily Fail as a source?

The thing about beer was interesting though... as if I needed any further excuse to drink the stuff! The fact that I've already had a few tonight is entirely coincidence.

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
An interesting read. I already heard of the beer builds stronger bones but I found the very first article intriguing - It's kind've interesting how differently brains can comprehand information on basically every situation with a simple difference like Gender.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
As always, Lauren, a very interesting article that I will be pondering for some time now.....and is there anything beer CAN'T do?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"Lauren Admire wants a bdelloid rotifer as a pet."

This is a really bad idea, Lauren. Honestly. Do you have any idea how HARD it is to get the little collar on them?! And forget about playing fetch.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I've moved to wine larely because beer goes straight to the gut, but now I might have to mix it up. I love it when reaseach comes out showing the health benefits of alcohol and coffee. I wonder if they tested different brands of beer for silicon content, or if there is a difference between microbrews and mass-produced beers?

Fists

Apr 16, 2009
those can be pretty thin as far as sample size goes, 20 people for generalising gender and humour tastes? 2 people for the effect of localised brain damage?

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Fearzone said:
I've moved to wine larely because beer goes straight to the gut, but now I might have to mix it up. I love it when reaseach comes out showing the health benefits of alcohol and coffee. I wonder if they tested different brands of beer for silicon content, or if there is a difference between microbrews and mass-produced beers?
Wait, are you trolling?

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
am I the only person that thinks an experiment with 10 men and 10 women is abit of a laugh

20 people, 10 on each side...thats hardly reliable results for a scientific experiment

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
thatstheguy said:
Fearzone said:
Wait, are you trolling?
I suppose it wouldn't be the first time but what in that statement is trolling?