Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: Giant Squid Sex and Whale Nostrils

Inside: How do giant squids mate?

Read Full Article

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Wow. Krill smell like boiled cabbage? Eating boiled cabbage every meal for the rest of my life....

I don't wanna be a whale.

"The penis of the squid, which had extended only slightly over the mantle margin, suddenly started to erect, and elongated quickly to 67cm total length, almost the same length as the whole animal."
And now I'm inadequate as a male as well.

Coupled with postselection is the theory of quantum teleportation etc. etc. etc.
And now I can't understand what's supposedly my native language.

Edited to add: I am glad Bruce Schneier's Friday blog posts are seeing use, though.:)

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
Lauren Admire said:
We're going to discuss an animal that is near and dear to my heart: squids.
Squid are also my favorite sea animal! They are ridiculously cool. (Hyenas win overall as the coolest animals ever)

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
CitySquirrel said:
Lauren Admire said:
We're going to discuss an animal that is near and dear to my heart: squids.
Squid are also my favorite sea animal! They are ridiculously cool. (Hyenas win overall as the coolest animals ever)
Pffff, damn Gnoll. :p

Well, that time travel news is great, now means if we put it to use we can document every mystery of life ever. Of course, it must be taken with a pinch of salt, as that theory seems to suggest it would be an AU.

Weirdwolf

Jan 26, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
Wow. Krill smell like boiled cabbage? Eating boiled cabbage every meal for the rest of my life....

I don't wanna be a whale.

"The penis of the squid, which had extended only slightly over the mantle margin, suddenly started to erect, and elongated quickly to 67cm total length, almost the same length as the whole animal."
And now I'm inadequate as a male as well.
Why don't you go and read about barnacles, I'm sure that will make any feeling of inadequacies to the squid fade away.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Silly monkies, how did they plan on landing without getting hurt? I suppose their escape vehicle was a bear driving a car.

Time travel has always interested me, you could go back and kill yourself father and still remain alive. You would just be creating an alternate timeline where you never exisited that would exist in a parallel space-time next to ours. Or as Lauren may say;

Lauren Admire said:
"fancy science magics"
:)

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
This stuff is always great to hear about, but why are so many of them based around animal sex and sex organs?

Every issue wherein animal sex has been involved it's always the first thing in the title.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
So squids have giant Johnsons? Can we start using the phrase "hung like a squid" now?

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
Karlaxx said:
This stuff is always great to hear about, but why are so many of them based around animal sex and sex organs?

Every issue wherein animal sex has been involved it's always the first thing in the title.
Im pretty certain its used to get people's attention and im pretty certain it does.

The title "Whales actually have a sense of smell" doesn't exactly grab people's attention as much as just the word sex.

OP: interesting information, im just curious when bad references will get made.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
CitySquirrel said:
Dyp100 said:
Pffff, damn Gnoll. :p
Gnoll shmoll... I'm talking about the real thing. Strongest bite of a land mammal in the world.
REALLY? Oh man, I didn't know that. Guess you learn new things each day. Thanks, man.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Very interesting, and I like how the column titles have been getting weirder and weird. "Giant Squid Sex and Whale Nostrils" sounds like a noir surrealist novel.

Monkeys are so clever. Sooner or later they're going to destroy the Statue of Liberty in front of Chuck Norris.

I want to write a coming of age sitcom about that squid's story. It's going to be write to name it something that doesn't use the word 'boner'.

Grandfather paradoxes are awesome. Ontological paradoxes are so cool, I just copied the entire text of this post from a note I wrote in the future, copying the post I had made, and sent back in time.

ArmorArmadillo said:
Okay, so when I read the title I didn't originally see the "and"

Very different.
Please come to Brandname Hall this next Friday to see my new heavy folk death cabaret metal band, Giant Squid Sex Whale Nostrils. It's going to be a blast!

Spiner909

Dec 3, 2009
The physics part hurt my head. I'll wait until I have physics class before I try and understand that.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
...still, I just don't see the term "hung like a squid" ever catching on.
Come now, there's always a chance... for example, if we happened to have a flooding-based apocalypse and everything goes all Water World, I can see "hung like a squid" being far more popular.

Nice article, by the way!

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
Alar said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
...still, I just don't see the term "hung like a squid" ever catching on.
Come now, there's always a chance... for example, if we happened to have a flooding-based apocalypse and everything goes all Water World, I can see "hung like a squid" being far more popular.

Nice article, by the way!
I'm sure the Japanese translation is already a well known phrase.