Science!: Hobbits and Shambhala

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: Hobbits and Shambhala

Inside: Meet the smartest rat in the world, Hobbie-J.

Read Full Article

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
It starts with Rats named Hobbie J. Then it moves to ermine named Hobbie L, nicknamed Hobble. Then onto dogs named Hobble S, shortened Hobbles. Finally, onto Stuffed Tigers, named Hobbes. So maybe it wasn't a 6 year old's imaginary friend after all, but some genetic experiment that concentrated a greater memory, vocabulary, and vocal cords. The only found downside? It requires tuna sandwiches, sunny fields, comic books, and smooches to stay so active. Interesting...

On the other hand, how does one get on the list of allowed tourists to Shambhala? Is there a waiting list, or an application, or is it more of the gotta-know-the-band kind of deals?

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Oh wow, I didn't know there were any unexplored ancient caves carved out of sheer cliff walls left to explore. That's so exciting! Escpecially since they haven't been looted yet and that they found treasure in there too. Okay, maybe not gold and jewels, but I believe anything interesting you find in abandoned Tibetan ruins qualifies as treasure. I'm curious as to what was written in those manuscripts. Are they able to read them?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I don't know about that last page. Most of the problems in my life stem from not having enough money, so hey- if one of these research groups wants to spot me a couple hundred grand and see if it improves my life, I would be more than willing to contribute to the furthering of my bank account science!

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Hobbie-J is my new hero! I'm actually happy to hear that there is a genetically-engineered rat that is smarter than me. First stage in a super-rat take-over? Probably, but they couldn't do any worse than we have, right?

Lordtommy

Apr 26, 2009
I'm not so sure about that first article...It would be cool if it's possible. My only problem is that merely putting more copies of a gene into a specimen does not make the body express that gene more. The body has a mechanism called dosage compensation where excess copies of a gene are made into dormant fragments called barr bodies. This happens in females who have two X-chromosomes. MAybe there is a more complicated process they left out of this article though. Pretty cool if it actually worked!

Skreeee

Jun 5, 2009
Now if they prescribed therapy rather than money to winners of court cases, maybe we'd have a lot less stupid cases floating through the justice system.

Andreyblade

Jul 14, 2009
AvsJoe said:
Hobbie-J is my new hero! I'm actually happy to hear that there is a genetically-engineered rat that is smarter than me. First stage in a super-rat take-over? Probably, but they couldn't do any worse than we have, right?
I for one welcome our new rodent overlords and hope that they will give us therapy instead of the normal enslaving; just saying

gmacarthur81

<(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^)>
Nov 13, 2009
Andreyblade said:
AvsJoe said:
I for one welcome our new rodent overlords and hope that they will give us therapy instead of the normal enslaving; just saying
Makes sense. It seems like they will be smart enough to know that a happy slave is a more productive slave and less likely to revolt.

Too bad my employer isn't that smart. :(

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Money can buy happiness, money can buy therapy and according to that research, therapy = happiness.

Huh, I knew that Naughty Dog do a lot of research for Uncharted but I never imagined those caves would actually be there, that's amazing. I wonder if they look the similar to how they are in the game.

Hmmm.... memory boosts.... and interesting concept, I don't think there'd be too much damage done by increasing a human's memory 3 fold. As long as nothing too traumatic happened too the subject before they were old enough to understand and accept such things.
Science makes one step closer to creating Bean! [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bean_(Ender%27s_Game)]

BlueberryFalacy

Apr 12, 2009
Izzil said:
Now if they prescribed therapy rather than money to winners of court cases, maybe we'd have a lot less stupid cases floating through the justice system.
Here here

If I could get a chance to actually go see Shambhala I might actually take up Ice Climbing...good thing i shan't as I don't think my continent has enough ice to practice with

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Lordtommy said:
I'm not so sure about that first article...It would be cool if it's possible. My only problem is that merely putting more copies of a gene into a specimen does not make the body express that gene more. The body has a mechanism called dosage compensation where excess copies of a gene are made into dormant fragments called barr bodies. This happens in females who have two X-chromosomes. MAybe there is a more complicated process they left out of this article though. Pretty cool if it actually worked!
That's a good question. My assumption is that the researchers didn't inject more genes into the rat, but instead caused the single gene to translate more copies of a particular protein than normal, a protein which enhances the speed of communication between cells. There's more information in the published research: Effect of transgenic overexpression of NR2B on NMDA receptor function and synaptic plasticity in visual cortex. [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11640931]

Actually, after re-reading the article, I realize that what I wrote directly says there was an injection of extra genetic material. I'll be fixing this immediately. Thanks for pointing that out!