Science: Injecting Human Cells Into Mice Brains Makes Them Smarter

Win32error

Jul 18, 2011
The only question this raises is if the intelligent mice community will build a colony on Mars before the Humans, or if they go straight for Pluto.

DocZombie

Jul 28, 2011
Brian Tams said:
What would happen if we added brain cells to a mouse fe-

immortalfrieza said:
Now that I think about it thougbh, what would happen if these stem cells were injected at some point during a mouse's fetal development?.
*angrily rips up post* You win this round, ninja!
Since the cells being transferred are already somewhat differentiated (they're "immature glial cells") they would be unlikely to revert to a form that could be involved in the reporductive pathways. Even if they were, they'd still be human cells, carrying human genetic code that would be completely incompatible with murine reproductive cells from the other prospective parent. No super-smart hybrid species creation going on here...!

On the other hand, if you can identify exactly what makes human glial cells / astrocytes different from mouse ones, and then introduce the necessary changes in mice to make them more similar, THEN you might be able to make the increased mental capacity heritable...

...and I for one welcome our new pink-eyed, twitchy-nosed overlords.

(ooh - just made a Hitchhikers Guide connection!)

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Please don't inject mouse brain cells into humans to make them dumber, humans are already dumb enough.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
It's quite interesting how this piece of news impresses me but would have made my five-year-old self roll his eyes and say "Well, duh! Anyone could have figured that out".

Ark of the Covetor

Jul 10, 2014
lSHaDoW-FoXl said:
Now if only we were to test this on the scientists then we could save those mice a lot of suffering. Or republicans, I guess that works too.
Hilarious.

Personally I'd be happy to end animal testing for good; we should just round up anti-vaxxers, anti-vivisectionists, animal rights terrorists etc and conduct trials on them, then everyone's happy - their precious animals are no longer being "abused by the evil humanocentric scientific-industrial complex, maaaaaan", the general public are still kept safe from debilitating diseases, and scientists don't have to listen to their vacant bitching any more. Win, win, win.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Oh great, Mice are already everywhere. The last thing we need is giving them the ability to organize. This is Planet of the Apes all over again.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'd like to see this tech used on dogs. I personally feel, given our intense genetic manipulation of dogs over the centuries, and their innate genetic flexibility, that they are going to be the next confirmed sentient species, mostly because we're going to end up pushing them to that point. This would help advance that process a great deal I think. Which I personally feel is awesome.

On the human front, it's definitely got potential to deal with mental issues of age and decay, assuming the illness is related to these cells that are being replaced.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Fanghawk
Fanghawk said:
Science: Injecting Human Cells Into Mice Brains Makes Them Smarter

That said, Goldman has decided not to conduct this research on monkeys, presumably to avoid a full-blown <a href=Study: Mice Become Smarter with Human Glial Cells Injected into Their Brains>Planet of the Apes scenario.

Why Planet of the Apes? This is The Secret of Nimh happening for real! This is LITERALLY the same! Best keep a close eye on farmers with abnormally large electricity bills.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
i so want to hide a recorder in that lab repeating "gee brain, what do you want to do tonight?" every once in a while, just to mess with the researchers

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I, for one, welcome our new mice overlords.

Does it say anywhere whether Disney was funding this project?

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
Ark of the Covetor said:
lSHaDoW-FoXl said:
Now if only we were to test this on the scientists then we could save those mice a lot of suffering. Or republicans, I guess that works too.
Hilarious.

Personally I'd be happy to end animal testing for good; we should just round up anti-vaxxers, anti-vivisectionists, animal rights terrorists etc and conduct trials on them, then everyone's happy - their precious animals are no longer being "abused by the evil humanocentric scientific-industrial complex, maaaaaan", the general public are still kept safe from debilitating diseases, and scientists don't have to listen to their vacant bitching any more. Win, win, win.
Looks like I made someone angry. Except, anti-vivisectionists and animal rights terrorists have some legitimate justification for their anger, or are you completely blind to the actual suffering that goes on completely unwarranted? I provide a better solution, and one with a more dumber, selfish, and downright vile population that legitimately deserves it. The fact that you even bother to list some people down as a response kind of makes my point. There clearly do exist some people that we can use as opposed to animals. And facetious nature aside, what comes to my mind are criminals. Not robbers and muggers, but the I mean ones that are legitimately guilty of downright heinous crimes - Sociopaths that commit murder because it gives them a legitimate thrill. I win. Saying that it's cruel to test on these people just acknowledges my point on the inhumanity of animal testing, and saying that it isn't provides an alternative to it.

"abused by the evil humanocentric scientific-industrial complex, maaaaaan"

You're not really being funny when you basically try and turn my remark against me (that's just lazy, dude) and then proceed to use a straw-man to represent me. Maaan? Do you honestly think I fit into that kind of group with the things I'm saying? Hippies would probably be more along the lines of "test on no one because it's mean" instead of legitimate anger and resentment that draw on this somewhat ironic form of retribution.

"scientists don't have to listen to their vacant bitching any more"

You don't see any legitimate basis for people to moan about animals being tested on for their entire lives? As opposed to people that have legitimate concerns and criticisms of an unethical practice you make a far greater example. Maybe after we fill you up with enough drugs you'll learn a thing or two about compassion.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
ObserverStatus said:
Rex Dark said:
So, can we make humans dumber by injecting mouse cells?
I think it's already been done, I can't imagine why else gamers would keep pre-ordering DLC.
Unfortunately, they're the uninformed control group, not the experimental test subjects. You see, the whole thing was conducted with the control group, the uncontrolled group, and the experimental group. The control group never uses the internet to find out about product value, the uncontrolled group DOES surf the web for information, and the experimental group defends Ubisoft and EA from the rest of the internet.

What they were trying to prove here, I'm not sure, but grant money is grant money.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm quite glad that I read the Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy before I read this, a massive chasm in my mind might have been formed.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
IamLEAM1983 said:
Considering how curious octopi and cuttlefish tend to be, just imagine what you'd get if you added a level of sapience that'd be comparable to a human's...

Cephalopod marine researchers. That'd be an awesome sci-fi treatment right there, like a post-Planet of the Apes setup where pessimism is exchanged for a more positive outlook on things.
I wonder if that's even possible though? Don't cephalopods use a "distributed intelligence network" instead of our own centralized one? I seem to remember hearing about each of their arms having a mind of its own as it were.

Still though...

Now all I can think about is the theme from Pinky and The Brain...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
Dolphins. Can we do them next? They may learn to communicate more efficiently with us so we can form a beautiful alliance while they share knowledge of the sea with us, we share knowledge of the land with them.

...I can dream at least.

The important thing to keep in mind here is that we shouldnt do this experiment on creatures with opposable thumbs. That will be our downfall!
dolphins, unlike their depictions in the media, are actually huge assholes in real life, so that would be a bad idea

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
Dolphins. Can we do them next? They may learn to communicate more efficiently with us so we can form a beautiful alliance while they share knowledge of the sea with us, we share knowledge of the land with them.
And then we realize they are bunch of dicks
Do you really would like to disrupt magic?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
*Maniacal cackling*.

Now who's the superior lifeform, you furry little dips**ts?! You shall die for my amusement in the coliseum, HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:

...I can dream at least.

The important thing to keep in mind here is that we shouldnt do this experiment on creatures with opposable thumbs. That will be our downfall!
Alliance. HAH. Invasion more like. Can you actually imagine humans ALLYING with dolphins? General Whatever: "But they're FISH!"

Please.

OT: Science is awesome. The Planet of the Apes comment at the end had me gaping a bit to be honest.