Science!: iPads and Dolphins

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Verlander said:
Sorry, but the relocation thing just doesn't hold true for me. I'm 23, moved 26 times (one place for 6 years), over 3 continents including USA UK and Australia, and I am very sociable friendly, and I have a great amount of people who care about me and come and visit me or vice versa. I am also quite successful career wise. The rest of the article was interesting though
Conversely, I'm 24, never moved ever except for once when I was a baby, and right now have exactly no friends. I'm not neurotic, though. I think o_O

The idea that we're not as smart as dolphins makes me very happy. Presumably, they hang around our aquariums to keep us as pets.

I wonder how the Mars bacteria and the life development theories relate to the panspermia theory. (Panspermia, as the great T-Rex once said, meaning spreading your sperm everywhere.)

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Irridium said:
Jaredin said:
I remember the Mars story, or at least about significant water once been there. Read it on BBC. It wouldnt surprise me, if, something had existed there long before we were born to this world
Indeed. We need to get up there already and discover the Protheans!

Yeah, I've been playing lots of Mass Effect lately, what of it?
I'm tired of your snide insinuations. *Falcon punch*

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Formica Archonis said:
RanD00M said:
That Ipad/Dolphin thing is amazing.Finally we will be able to communicate with ze dolphinz.And zen I shall rule ze werld.
Wait until they translate the clicking and find out it's the dolphin ranting about all the stupid things humans make it do just so it can get some fish.
Arrr, the year of the dolphin is at hand.

Ironlenny

Feb 22, 2009
008Zulu said:
Kingtrue said:
Life, like everything, adapts.
Methane breathing bacteria? sounds like James Cameron was onto something.
The idea of bacteria breathing methane was around long before Cameron.

Proof (more or less) of life on other worlds, que the religous groups of the world backpedeling.
What backpedaling? OH NOES! GOD CREATED A TYPE OF LIFE THAT CAN EXIST ON ANOTHER PLANET! I can't speak for other religions, but the fact that life can exist on other plants is not a problem in Christianity. Why you may ask? In Christianity, one of God's attributes is creativity. The Bible is full of passages discussing, contemplating, and simply marveling at God's artistic prowess. It would not be outside of his character to create life on other worlds. In fact, that possibility has been and still is seriously discussed within the theological community.

Even if this is just a jab at fundamentalist, it still doesn't work because the idea of a creative god is shared among all Christian denominations. The debate among Young Earth Creationists, Old Earth Creationists, and Theological Evolutionists is about how to best interpret the Genesis Account, not whether there's life outside of Earth.

I am curious how methane eating bacteria constitutes proof of life on other planets? This discovery has simply reinforced the hypothesis that carbon based life can exist on Mars. We still don't know if there is life outside of Earth, and that can only be resolved if we find life, or explore all of the Universe. Incidentally, because the only way to falsify the E.T. life hypothesis is to EXPLORE THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE, it is not a valid scientific hypothesis. It does not mean that it is untrue, just that there is no experiment that can be performed to validate it (the same goes for God).

Wicky_42 said:
Makes me wonder what we'll have to do if it turns out that dolphins are actually an intelligent species - I mean, can we really keep an animal we can hold a conversation with locked up in zoos and used as research subjects? New ethical quandaries for dealing with intelligent species other than ourselves...
We already know that dolphins are intelligent, we just don't have away to gauge how intelligent they are in relation to us.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Methane-consuming organisms that can survive in the Lost Hammer springs might be able to survive on Mars, but life originating there is a completely different matter. The important question isn't whether a planet can support life, but if it can create life.

Speaking of which, even though Jupiter's moon Titan lacks liquid water, there are clues that it may be supporting life based on methane/ethane as a solvent [http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100606103125.htm]!

Cpt. Red

Jul 24, 2008
Verlander said:
Sorry, but the relocation thing just doesn't hold true for me. I'm 23, moved 26 times (one place for 6 years), over 3 continents including USA UK and Australia, and I am very sociable friendly, and I have a great amount of people who care about me and come and visit me or vice versa. I am also quite successful career wise. The rest of the article was interesting though
An extrovert perhaps?

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Lived in one place for my entire life.

I MUST BE A SUPERHUMAN BY NOW!

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
The Random One said:
Verlander said:
Conversely, I'm 24, never moved ever except for once when I was a baby, and right now have exactly no friends. I'm not neurotic, though. I think o_O

The idea that we're not as smart as dolphins makes me very happy. Presumably, they hang around our aquariums to keep us as pets.

I wonder how the Mars bacteria and the life development theories relate to the panspermia theory. (Panspermia, as the great T-Rex once said, meaning spreading your sperm everywhere.)
Ha, I think everyone is individual. I can see how moving may make you more introverted, but I don't think it's a major cause

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Will the dolphins say "so long, and thanks for all the fish"?

I chuckled - Heh.

Yeah, science is awesome.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Ironlenny said:
What backpedaling? OH NOES! GOD CREATED A TYPE OF LIFE THAT CAN EXIST ON ANOTHER PLANET! I can't speak for other religions, but the fact that life can exist on other plants is not a problem in Christianity. Why you may ask? In Christianity, one of God's attributes is creativity. The Bible is full of passages discussing, contemplating, and simply marveling at God's artistic prowess. It would not be outside of his character to create life on other worlds. In fact, that possibility has been and still is seriously discussed within the theological community.
Almost all my life I have heard or read how the religious types say that intelligent life only exists on this planet because thats the way God wanted it to be. Life on other planets is impossible.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
There is also a theory that life started near the thermal fountains under the oceans. If earth was covered in ice but there were oceans under the ice because of the pressure... well, that's a theory.

Ironlenny

Feb 22, 2009
008Zulu said:
Almost all my life I have heard or read how the religious types say that intelligent life only exists on this planet because thats the way God wanted it to be. Life on other planets is impossible.
Who ever you're referring to are morons.