Science!: iPads and Dolphins

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I moved around all the time when I was a kid. :(

In fact, I've lived in the same place for 4 years now, and I think that's the longest I've ever lived in one place so far. It's a miracle I grew up to be the well-adjusted person I am today!

*twitch*

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
for me the article on page one seems pretty accurate

lets see, I've lived in about 11 houses that I remember and a couple more that I was too young to remember in three different Island countries and I moved into the 11th when I was 17.

My personality defects: I have aspergers syndrome, I am neurotic at times, I have been a recluse and if its not with one of my friends I won't be the one to start a conversation, I guess that could classify me as an introvert. I have been told I have depressive tendancies.

School wise I did ok at GCSE level but have done poorly since, often due to lazyness

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I remember the Mars story, or at least about significant water once been there. Read it on BBC. It wouldnt surprise me, if, something had existed there long before we were born to this world

the_maestro_sartori

Nov 8, 2009
woah, didn't know temperatures on mars actually got above 0 degrees C. Iiiinteresting, alien life, even on a microscopic level, being found in my lifetime would be le awesome.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Too late to read all the article but I've moved 5 times as a kid, and...Yeah, that makes sense.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
That Ipad/Dolphin thing is amazing.Finally we will be able to communicate with ze dolphinz.And zen I shall rule ze werld.

Apr 28, 2008
Jaredin said:
I remember the Mars story, or at least about significant water once been there. Read it on BBC. It wouldnt surprise me, if, something had existed there long before we were born to this world
Indeed. We need to get up there already and discover the Protheans!

Yeah, I've been playing lots of Mass Effect lately, what of it?

Kingtrue

Jul 30, 2009
Life, like everything, adapts.
Methane breathing bacteria? sounds like James Cameron was onto something.
This would make terraforming alittle bit harder to manage on planets, especially in other solar systems (if or whenever man figures out how to leave the solar system) when you'll have two opposing ecosystems.
As for the Dolphin thing, Dolphins are no better than a semi-sentient animal that can interact with objects in a better way then most others. I would'nt be too conscerned with what they're trying to say, they'll still swim around in the ocean. They don't have an underwater civilization.

The article on children that move around alot seemed very accurate. I have a nephew who has moved around since birth and with alot of family issues make him look very emotionally damaged.

Nice articles, enjoyed the read.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
That makes so much sense! I now know why I'm a fucknut! It's because I moved 14 times before the age of 16!

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
RanD00M said:
That Ipad/Dolphin thing is amazing.Finally we will be able to communicate with ze dolphinz.And zen I shall rule ze werld.
Wait until they translate the clicking and find out it's the dolphin ranting about all the stupid things humans make it do just so it can get some fish.

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
And just like that, capitalism proves its impact on society by turning a commercial product into a dolphin-human translator.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Kingtrue said:
Life, like everything, adapts.
Methane breathing bacteria? sounds like James Cameron was onto something.
The idea of bacteria breathing methane was around long before Cameron.

Proof (more or less) of life on other worlds, que the religous groups of the world backpedeling.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Jaredin said:
I personally was thinking about that truely amazing programme called Wonders of the Solar System. It had an episode about aliens, and I reckon if you have an interest in these things it's certainly worth a look. The presenter, Brian Cox is brilliant.

Jun 13, 2009
My word, the iPad has a use!

Usual good articles, always a pleasure to read. Maybe one day we can be lucky enough to meet these Martian bacteria, let's just hope they aren't the cause of the zombie apocalypse. I guess we will find out once this isolation test is done ready for the Mars mission.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Formica Archonis said:
RanD00M said:
Wait until they translate the clicking and find out it's the dolphin ranting about all the stupid things humans make it do just so it can get some fish.
Makes me wonder what we'll have to do if it turns out that dolphins are actually an intelligent species - I mean, can we really keep an animal we can hold a conversation with locked up in zoos and used as research subjects? New ethical quandaries for dealing with intelligent species other than ourselves...

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
Formica Archonis said:
Makes me wonder what we'll have to do if it turns out that dolphins are actually an intelligent species - I mean, can we really keep an animal we can hold a conversation with locked up in zoos and used as research subjects? New ethical quandaries for dealing with intelligent species other than ourselves...
Well, better we have the problem to deal with than not know the problem even exists.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
Sounds like Apple is just trying to appeal to an untapped market: underwater mammals. Good luck getting a dolphin to pay for an IPad!
Thing is... why is there already an app to translate dolphin noises? The IPad is less than a year old, so that must mean they were developing the app possibly for the IPhone. Either way, it's just plain weird. This is probably the ONE time that Aquaman would be useful!

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Sorry, but the relocation thing just doesn't hold true for me. I'm 23, moved 26 times (one place for 6 years), over 3 continents including USA UK and Australia, and I am very sociable friendly, and I have a great amount of people who care about me and come and visit me or vice versa. I am also quite successful career wise. The rest of the article was interesting though