Science!: Monkeys, Robots and Ovaries

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
That FoxL2 gene sounds pretty damn important--it keeps your cute! Go FoxL2!

Haha the ladies have the FoxL2, so that's why they're foxy. Guys get the Sox gene, and that's why we're perpetually found with only socks on at the most awkward/intimate of times.

Horrible puns aside, if sharks are replaced by cake, then you have soggy cake and extremely chaotic birthday parties. And the concept of Monkey Syntax is one I'm adding into my 'How to predict the traits of a species' thesis.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Gee, now the feminists are going to start accusing males of inventing this gene (somehow) and hating us for another thing. *le sigh* I can hear it now "I told you being a woman is a constant battle against the male oppressors! Down with the male establishment! We are free!" and whatever else they say. I dunno I live in a very passive-aggressive town.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
SharedProphet said:
Fascinating, as always. Thanks! : )
Agreed.

I liked the fear article...Not something I ever thought of, but, gave me something to chew on for sure

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I've learnt how to speak monkey and ovaries!

That whole sex thing makes me think of some transexual activists, who want there to be one or more genres 'in between' male and female. I wonder if the discovery that there are NO genres at all is a victory or a loss for them.

I also wonder if the procedure can be done the other way, that is, a men's testicles can start working as ovaries. The day it happens, everyone will feel a great disturbance, as if a thousand men who know about 4chan but don't go there cried out and were suddenly silenced.

The thing with the monkeys is just freakin' scary. How long until they develop written language?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Self-replicating nanobots... the basis of so many science gone wrong stories. I honestly would not want an early model robot operating on me. Imagine what would happen if there was a glitch... eggghhh. On the top of gender and genes... 0.o. Interesting. I never knew gender is that fragile.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
Man, that last one is crazy. I can totally see that being used in sci-fi now to explain gender-shifting. Reminds me of Rumble Girls, where young children are genetically modified to let them swap sex at any time, so that they "have the benefits of both sexes" growing up.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
wow how long until we get brain 'enhancing' nanomachines that make us walk on fixed paths and completely ignore the old guy smelling of piss, smoke and death to sheak up behind us and snap our fragile necks.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
OK... Genes... I've known for a long time that the whole 'being male' thing is activated by just a single gene on the Y chromosome, but this shows the reverse, in essence.

So let me get this straight:

The Sox9 gene essentially does most of the work of turning you into a male...
The FoxL2 gene, stops the Sox9 gene from working...

Meaning, the Y chromosome contains something that inhibits FoxL2?

Eh... That's probably over-simplifying matters.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Lord_Ascendant said:
Gee, now the feminists are going to start accusing males of inventing this gene (somehow) and hating us for another thing. *le sigh* I can hear it now "I told you being a woman is a constant battle against the male oppressors! Down with the male establishment! We are free!" and whatever else they say. I dunno I live in a very passive-aggressive town.
Passive? Since when are feminists granted the term 'passive'? Note, they're like that everywhere.

On topic, according to feminism and gays, there's no difference between the sexes already. That gene has nothing to do with it, or if anything would be considered limiting and on the shortlist for removal.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
The bio-nanobots are interesting..

I've been fascinated by cybernetic augmentations ever since.. Before memory anyway. It seemed a better idea than anything else. Why make better space suits when you could be modified to be immune to a vacuum? Or grant people higher strength, better reflexes, external memory modules, etc. Think of the Matrix line ""Can you fly a helicopter?" "Not yet" *downloads software*".

If you augmented with bio-nanobots, then you could theoretically mod yourself on the fly to do different things. Use them to enhance muscles for strength purposes, then change them to augment brain signals allowing you to act faster. Better than a single, permanent mod.

Snork Maiden said:
This article suggests the dream of monthly gender changes is closer than ever. Huzzah!

Yea, this is the part where I become a true nerd and never leave my house again.

The Random One said:
I've learnt how to speak monkey and ovaries!

That whole sex thing makes me think of some transexual activists, who want there to be one or more genres 'in between' male and female. I wonder if the discovery that there are NO genres at all is a victory or a loss for them.

I also wonder if the procedure can be done the other way, that is, a men's testicles can start working as ovaries. The day it happens, everyone will feel a great disturbance, as if a thousand men who know about 4chan but don't go there cried out and were suddenly silenced.

The thing with the monkeys is just freakin' scary. How long until they develop written language?
Doubt testicles could become ovaries.. That would require some serious change and a lot longer timeframe than you have to live.

Yea.. Monkeys have been like that for years. =P They've been 'demi-human' for as long as our records exist, never once have they had a written language or communicated in complex terms. Here's betting that if they ever do, it'll be from genetic modification.