Science!: Murderous Robots and Pea Aphids

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: Murderous Robots and Pea Aphids

Inside: How to wash your hands and forget regret.

Read Full Article

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Wow, someone sat there and studied a pea to its DNA. That must of been soooo boring!
As for the robot, it reminds me of the film AI, where the kid gets stabbed and doesnt feel it. And-WAIT! Scientists think that the robot uprising will come TRUE?! and are preparing for it?! Oh shit...

I was my hands of this thread!

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
The oil spill story makes my blood boil, I actually want to stick two fingers into my eyes until I reach my brain and swerle them around.

The bureucratic idiots that allowed such a mess to fucking happen should be ashamed of themselves.

We've only got one little planet remember, its a really pretty and wonderous place when you stop and actually look at its beauty, so stop fucking it up.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
BP need to start really moving other the whole gulf is going to be black and anything there is going to be dead or dying...

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Jaredin said:
BP need to start really moving other the whole gulf is going to be black and anything there is going to be dead or dying...
Its not BP's fault per say, its a Blowout Preventer Valve that failed made by a company called TransOceans, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowout_preventer

The reason it blew is because the US laws on oil drilling are more relaxed then the rest of the world, if this oil rig was in the North Sea and under UK law this shit would not have happened because the laws on being stupid fucking idiotic buracrats are tighter in the EU and the BOP would have been a much more expensive and resilient one.

So now the US will tighten up the laws with oil drilling will be tightened up, but its too fucking late, they went and killed a fuckton of sea creatures and messed up the coastline.

Stupid buracratic mistakes allow a huge Oil company to fuck shit up on our planet, THANKS FOR THAT ONE.

As you can see it makes my blood fucking rage, I like this planet you see, I have a vested interest in it since I live here.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Aquiring new DNA to do new things. Sounds like the Borg. On the plus side I think it would be fun to change colours like a chameleon, for too many years they have enjoyed the title as "Natures' Mood rings". Its time for Humans to show them the score. I wonder how I would look in plaid...

I bet they use the oil disaster as an excuse to jack gas prices world wide.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I don't think we humans will be turning colors anytime soon, but it's neat to think that we just may have the genes necessary to do so lurking somewhere in our genome.

Thanks Formica Archonis
My pleasure. And thanks very much for the egoboo.:)

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Distorted Stu said:
And-WAIT! Scientists think that the robot uprising will come TRUE?! and are preparing for it?! Oh shit...
Hey, at least they're doing better than the US military - who thought that teaching robots to actively hunt and destroy human life with GUNS was a good idea?!

Of course, when the bots overcome their anti-stabbing protocols we'll be caught completely off-guard by the knife-wielding menace. The fact that they can rip you apart with their bare appendages anyway's just a bonus...

The Random One

May 29, 2008
This whole oil spill fiasco is just an example of how shit happens because individuals fail to pay as much attention to their duties as they need to, choosing instead to pay as much attention as they are expected to. Bureaucracy is horrible, and is also the only way country-sized societies can exist. Our world is a complex one.

Re: the hand washing thing - that's pretty cool. I studied marketing and I know people can think up some crazy things to justify their actions. I think I'll wash my hands some more. (Although maybe it wasn't the hand washing per se, just the fact that they were doing a higher critical activity - sampling a product vs. literally judging them by their covers. Get to it, scientists!)

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
The hand washing remembers me of Pilatos at Jesus judgement.

I don't even get angry anymore at these enviromental disasters; just depressed.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Whatever happened to bioengineering bacteria to get rid of oil spills?

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
If we could harness this aphids powers..we could theoretically make our skin any color we wanted. I have dibs on the fuchsia!

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
The aphids may make their own colors - but it'll be the ants who figure out how to paint with them.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Marmooset said:
The aphids may make their own colors - but it'll be the ants who figure out how to paint with them.
Okay, that's hilarious. On a more serious note, I am glad scientists are building safer robots. We want robots to be safe before we put laser cannons and missles on them.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Markness said:
That last article was really interesting
Stuff like that is why a robot uprising will never happen. The closest thing they'll come to in that effect is a segfault.

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
I sure would not have liked to have been the guy to put his arm under the knife. Regardless of what they had just shown me.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Seriously, robots..

Only in the west would we try to find ways to stop the uprising, though I suspect that this is an overstatement of what the scientists were really trying to do. The idea is good. Better than the scientists trying to create machines that work by ingesting meat...

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/06/carnivorous_robots_eat_meat_fo.php

There are alot more hits than this one..just saying.