Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: Promiscuity, Antimatter and Disease Tests

The animal kingdom really is wild!

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Yes...the animal kingdom is a weird and wonderful place!

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Am I the only one thinking that Japan is going to destroy the universe with that test?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
As a member of a lab that is a direct competitor of George Whitesides and his research team, I can say with confidence that his so-called lab-on-a-chip is so totally 2007.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Lauren Admire said:
Lauren Admire remembers when...well...never mind. She actually can't remember when anything cost just a penny.
Don't the 7/11s near you have one-cent candies?

I like this article, though. Always good to hear about antimatter.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
That's not frog marriage. That's slavery!
Synonyms

fanklok said:
Am I the only one thinking that Japan is going to destroy the universe with that test?
Well, maybe not the whole universe...
They wouldn't risk something like that if it could destory the universe, wouldn't they? Wouldn't they?

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Nuke_em_05 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
That's not frog marriage. That's slavery!
Synonyms

fanklok said:
Well, maybe not the whole universe...
They wouldn't risk something like that if it could destory the universe, wouldn't they? Wouldn't they?
Need I go on?

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
That chromosomal mutation would be quite useful in making Jurassic park, if only we knew we could have stopped the massacre there. *begins to cry* if we only knew!

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Whoa! If they really invented such easy and cheap method to detect diseases, that's just revolutionary!

The Random One

May 29, 2008
The lab-in-your-palm thing is awesome. It really might revolutionize the treatment of diseases. If it can also be cheaply mass produced, what I'm hoping it can.

And the T2K experiment is just awesome. Now that's pure science: 'Something is happening here, and we have no idea of what it is, so we're going to do this thing and whatch what happens to see if we can figure it out.' Now that's something there can be no bias about!

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
Ah, neutrino detectors. Unfortunately, the little buggers ignore every force but gravity and are more or less massless, so this sort of thing isn't so much a roadblock as it is a giant pile of chicken wire. If they get 10 neutrino collisions in a year, I'll be astonished.

Also, cool to see that keychain labs are a reality now. Been reading about them for a while.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Promiscuity can save species; I always knew people were meant to have mutliple wives/husbands.

Perhaps there is equal parts matter and anti-matter, if the current view of matter sees it as an expanding movement, might it be reasonable to assume there are highly concentrated pockets of anti-matter? While the two do cancel each other out, there are some who believe it must be the numbers exact opposite to cancel each other out. 1's cancel 1's, 1's cant cancel 2's.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
The bit about the neutrinos was really neat. I love all that weirdass physics stuff, though I don't understand much of it very clearly. The disease test also sounds quite interesting. One thing, though:
Lauren Admire said:
patients in Africa or other third world countries would be able to take a picture of the results, send it to doctors worldwide, and receive diagnoses.
Africa is a continent that contains third-world countries, not a country in itself. Sorry if it seems like I'm nit-picking, it just bugs me when people refer to Africa as though it were a single homogenized nation that is universally poor. This is hardly the case...

somekindarobot

Jul 29, 2009
fanklok said:
*sigh* Can physicists do anything without someone bitching about the destruction of the world?