Science!: Raptorex, The Beatles and WTF

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008

Beware all ye who enter here: Quantum physics lies within.

Read Full Article

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Ow. Quantum Physics they hurts mah bwains. And someone invented teleporting flu viruses? Thats not good is it???

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Lord_Ascendant said:
And someone invented teleporting flu viruses? Thats not good is it???
We'll just build artificially intelligent robots to fix the problem if a careless scientist accidentally smashes their microscope slide and punctures their environmental suit while performing that research.

What could possibly go wrong?

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Virgil said:
Lord_Ascendant said:
We'll just build artificially intelligent robots to fix the problem if a careless scientist accidentally smashes their microscope slide and punctures their environmental suit while performing that research.

Zombie Invasion? Better go consult the Red Queen and grab a Flamethrower.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Non sequiturs make you smarter? Superpositioned viruses?

This is the best column ever.

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Virgil said:
Lord_Ascendant said:

By fix the problem, do you mean destroy the pathetic human?

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
That raptorex find sounds suspiciously like a baby T-rex to me.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Whooo! Much better! There was a good deal of science in that article, so I'm appeased. Though, a thought occurs--what if they just found a T-Rex that hadn't quite grown up? Adolescent, maybe, or preteen? With all the big head/little arms that normally accomodates reptilian puberty?

Hey, someone should tells those guys over at XKCD that, due to quantum mechanics, Raptors both exist and don't exist right next to them. Though the concept of non-sequitur events making you smarter is one I shall be pondering on for a time. Much like this thought: Is Sisyphus happy?

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
I don't get it. Does superposition actually occur or can something only be in a single state at a time? Do the particles actually exist in two states at once or do they only have the possibility of existing in both states when not being observed? I'm guessing there has obviously been no observed superimposed particle, but has there been any observations of particles turning into wave form? jeez, racking my brain.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
So, if you put a cat in a box, and have poison trip-wired, and the wire is broken by a radioactive substance, the cat is theoretically both alive and dead?

I've rationalized the Schrodinger's Cat concept by deciding that the man knew next to nothing about biology.

I wonder what his definition of 'dead' was. Like, brain dead, not breathing, no pulse, or simply locked in an air-tight box with poison and radioactive chemicals? Whichever it was, when he opened the box, he'd either have a dead cat or a dead cat and a very angry cat lady.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

that video about the double-slit experiment was pretty fun and mind-blowing at the same time.

thanks Bill Nye!

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
Go on to a quantum scale, and you'll realize that one quark can be in two different places.

I sometimes hate science.

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
I'm finding I love this column.
A question though. In order for the flu thing to work wouldn't you'd have to get it to have no energy, that is at absolute zero, so that its electrons can't move?

Apr 28, 2008
So, they are beefing up the flu eh?

I guess swine flu wasn't good enough for scie- oops, sorry, SCIENCE!

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Quick! Let us kill kittens! For SCIENCE!

That last page is messed up beyond all recognition and it actually hurt my brain to read it. I love that bit about the t-rex though.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I must compartmentalize my answers, for this article contains far too much weapons-grade awesome to address all at once.

- Does anyone else think that Raptorex sounds like a crappy line of PC peripherals?
- Personally, reading anything by Franz Kafka makes me desperately search for meaning and patterns in anything else, so I can see where I'd be more adept at puzzles like that.
- Science defeats music once again. Next up: In-depth examinations to find out exactly who put the "bop" in the "bop-shoo-wop".
- This is a public service announcement.

Silver Scribbler

Aug 5, 2009
I love this column, as I'm pretty sure I have already stated. And I sort of understood the quantum physics part, thank you "The Big Bang Theory" for making me look it up in detail!

The Rogue Wolf said:
I must compartmentalize my answers, for this article contains far too much weapons-grade awesome to address all at once.

- Does anyone else think that Raptorex sounds like a crappy line of PC peripherals?
- Personally, reading anything by Franz Kafka makes me desperately search for meaning and patterns in anything else, so I can see where I'd be more adept at puzzles like that.
- Science defeats music once again. Next up: In-depth examinations to find out exactly who put the "bop" in the "bop-shoo-wop".
- This is a public service announcement.

And this post was almost as awesome as the article itself. Kudos, kind sir.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Lauren Admire said:

Beware all ye who enter here: Quantum physics lies within.

Read Full Article
I remember talking about that Beatles chord with my guitar teacher some weeks ago. I'm going to phone him now.

And the whole Schödringer/Quantum thing was mind blowing.
Spoiler. Click to view.

Also, you're playing Dreamfall? I love you. That's my favourite game.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Notsomuch said:
I don't get it. Does superposition actually occur or can something only be in a single state at a time? Do the particles actually exist in two states at once or do they only have the possibility of existing in both states when not being observed? I'm guessing there has obviously been no observed superimposed particle, but has there been any observations of particles turning into wave form? jeez, racking my brain.
I think it's one of those "tree falling over in a forest" type thingamajigs. Try not to think about it too much. I'd recommend idly twiddling your thumbs and listening to some Mozart. That always seems to cheer me up!