Science: Sperm, Homosexuality and Primordial Soup

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Huh, that's really interesting about the plants. I've never gotten into physics much (boo abstract math) but the overall concepts and theories of quantum physics fascinate me.

f0re1gn

DON'T PANIC
Jan 21, 2009
I didn't quite get it - so the light just splits there? Or does it somehow create another beam which goes in the other direction o.o

As far as I remember from our cell biology course - there was only one beam. Interesting)

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
SharedProphet said:
Lauren Admire said:
Lauren Admire wonders how the primordial soup tasted.
There are so many ways to get into trouble responding to this. : )
Especially it's right under the part about sperm.

...yeah, not going there.

On-topic, it'd be pretty awesome if they figured out how exactly plants do their quantum-trick, and ever more awesome if we had a way to replicate it. After all, today's solar cells might be a nice source of 'green' energy, but if you compare the amount of solar energy going in and the amount of electricity coming out, they're really inefficient. A 95% efficiency would give the usability of solar energy a huge boost.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Great article. Proton gradients and Quantum Mechanics in one place; excellent.

Cargando

Apr 8, 2009
Excellent article, I didn't know that about the plants, it's odd how much they use quantum physics - I think they also use quantum tunneling somewhere in photosynthesis.

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
Visulth said:
Demonraiser said:
Well, it is interesting.....but what the hell is the point about learning where we came from? why not concentrate on the Future, which could actually affect us in a significant way.
Agh, don't say that! Unfortunately that's the mind set of a lot of biology professors and researchers; the majority of them don't really care how organic materials first formed on Earth. They just start off with the assumption and continue with the RNA-world hypothesis.

Don't you find it interesting? If we know how life started on Earth we'd be better able to predict which kinds of planets to expect extra-terrestrial life. Unlike sci-fi shows we can't just whip up a "Life Signs Detector" and see life from spaceships.

Furthermore, knowing how life started on Earth would allow us to replicate the "Experiment" and create new life of our own. We'd be able to add our own selection pressures, and who knows, we could be creating new species!
Well, I'm not so certain that replicating the "Experiment" and creating new species would be a good idea. It's dangerous to tamper with things beyond our understanding. Even if we figure out how life started on Earth, we'd still be a long way from understanding life completely.

Nevertheless, I agree that figuring out how life started can only benefit us. How can we understand ourselves if we don't know how we began. Ideally, science is suppose to work from the ground up. You don't start with the results you want and work your way back. Until we figure out how life got started, scientific fields like biology will be working on assumptions which could lead to serious errors.

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Visulth said:
Demonraiser said:
Well, it is interesting.....but what the hell is the point about learning where we came from? why not concentrate on the Future, which could actually affect us in a significant way.
Agh, don't say that! Unfortunately that's the mind set of a lot of biology professors and researchers; the majority of them don't really care how organic materials first formed on Earth. They just start off with the assumption and continue with the RNA-world hypothesis.

Don't you find it interesting? If we know how life started on Earth we'd be better able to predict which kinds of planets to expect extra-terrestrial life. Unlike sci-fi shows we can't just whip up a "Life Signs Detector" and see life from spaceships.

Furthermore, knowing how life started on Earth would allow us to replicate the "Experiment" and create new life of our own. We'd be able to add our own selection pressures, and who knows, we could be creating new species!
We don't even have to be searching for life as we know it. There's an entire subset of "Link [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremophile]

Squaseghost

Jan 25, 2010
f0re1gn said:
I didn't quite get it - so the light just splits there? Or does it somehow create another beam which goes in the other direction o.o

As far as I remember from our cell biology course - there was only one beam. Interesting)
It doesn't split, it takes both paths. Simultaneously. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's quantum mechanics for you.

f0re1gn

DON'T PANIC
Jan 21, 2009
Squaseghost said:
f0re1gn said:

It doesn't split, it takes both paths. Simultaneously. I know it doesn't make sense, but that's quantum mechanics for you.
Ah, I forgot they mentioned superpositions in there. The same way Schrodinger's cat works, the energy is in two positions at the same time (until we find out, where exactly - according to Schrodinger's theory)

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
RE: fa'afafine survey experiment

Transexuality and homosexuality are quite different. The fa'afafine are transexual, men who identify at a young age as feminine. Furthermore, the fact that the fa'afafine are a cultural phenomenon with lots of cultural and societal behaviors attached to them. So I find the research and conclusions spurious at best.

Why not just survey gay men and women? We make up between 2-6% of the human population depending on what survey you believe. The rates are pretty constant across all societal, cultural, and geographic lines. You don't have to go to the jungles of an Asian country to survey homosexuals in their 'natural habitat'. You can just do a wide survey with a large sample size across the globe which will factor out any variation for cultural or societal factors to see if there's anything else in common with the way gay people are wired other than their sexual orientation -- my guess: no more so than people with black skin color or blonde hair.

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
Epoetker said:
The 'kin selection' theory of homosexuality was always a form of far too special pleading for me. I happen to like the chimeric theory:

http://www.welmer.org/2008/07/14/the-chimera-hypothesis-homosexuality-and-plural-pregnancy/

This one handily explains homosexuality, its variants, its differing expression in man and woman, and why it remains impervious to evolution-because it's NOT 'genetic' so much as what happens when a man's female twin gets genetically absorbed into the developing brain. This absorption, of course, happens all the time:
Haven't heard of that Chimerism theory before, pretty interesting.

It seems a little odd but I think he's closer to the right answer than most mainstream theories.

The mainstream concept is either genetics or environment. Environmental explinations have never made sense to me, the rate of homosexuality is remarkably constant across the world. Whether it's punnishible by death or a liberal sexually free society the difference in people who identify as gay doesn't vary a ton. Genetics is also a pretty poor explination because of the obvious natural selection angle.

I think it has a lot more to do with how the human gets constructed in the womb. Something happens when the brain is getting created and a wire gets crossed in the process. You can't change the way a brain is wired and there you go.

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Whispering Death said:
RE: fa'afafine survey experiment

Transexuality and homosexuality are quite different. The fa'afafine are transexual, men who identify at a young age as feminine. Furthermore, the fact that the fa'afafine are a cultural phenomenon with lots of cultural and societal behaviors attached to them. So I find the research and conclusions spurious at best.

Why not just survey gay men and women? We make up between 2-6% of the human population depending on what survey you believe. The rates are pretty constant across all societal, cultural, and geographic lines. You don't have to go to the jungles of an Asian country to survey homosexuals in their 'natural habitat'. You can just do a wide survey with a large sample size across the globe which will factor out any variation for cultural or societal factors to see if there's anything else in common with the way gay people are wired other than their sexual orientation -- my guess: no more so than people with black skin color or blonde hair.
They actually bring up why they focused on Samoan fa'afafine in the study - Samoan families are very tight-knit and have extended families, whereas Western families tend to be more individualistic and homophobic. For a study focused on kin selection, they would naturally have more data/open mindedness in Samoa, but at the same time, it's hard to extend the study results to a broad selection of homosexual behavior.

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Epoetker said:
The 'kin selection' theory of homosexuality was always a form of far too special pleading for me. I happen to like the chimeric theory:

http://www.welmer.org/2008/07/14/the-chimera-hypothesis-homosexuality-and-plural-pregnancy/

This one handily explains homosexuality, its variants, its differing expression in man and woman, and why it remains impervious to evolution-because it's NOT 'genetic' so much as what happens when a man's female twin gets genetically absorbed into the developing brain. This absorption, of course, happens all the time:

http://multiples.about.com/cs/medicalissues/a/vanishingtwin.htm

I'm guessing, however, that it's not as scientifically 'sexy' because it involves the unspoken assumption of: 'You're gay? KILL THE GAY GUY HE ATE HIS SISTER IN THE WOMB!!!'

However, since it both jibes with twin studies and handily explains why it would be evolutionarily selected for (i.e., a woman who has more twins is more evolutionarily successful, but more likely to have gay children occasionally,) I submit it whenever I hear about this silly photogenic family-and-marketing-friendly 'kin selection' business. Truths are usually ugly, harsh and disturbing, thank you very much.
Thanks for the link - reading it now. It's fascinating.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
(the article makes no mention of female homosexuality)
There are no problems with it because it is HAWT.

Seriously, though, great article. I'm not sure what future researches will have to tell us about homosexuality, and I'd heard that theory before, but it seems more like a way for evolution to counterbalance the fact that the person is homosexual rather than an explanation of it, since all in all just having the children is a much simpler way to carry on your genes.

First life actually evolving from non-life sounds pretty awesome. Strange that nowadays scientists find life in those very vents and are all like 'wow, life can actually happen here!'

The quantum plants just shows nature is much weirder than we thought.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
...so what, homosexuals are the suckers of evolution? Raising someone else's kids to pass on someone else's genes?

Ayzahar

Nov 28, 2007
Don't forget that plants, like a vast majority of things in this universe follows the Fibonacci sequence. That is, 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55 etc etc, plants especially with their petals, and flowers. That's why the center of flowers have these awesome spiral patterns.