Science!: The Blob Lived 425 Million Years Ago

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: The Blob Lived 425 Million Years Ago

This week we look at blob-like monsters from the deep and learn how to defeat a laser.

Read Full Article

Rasputin1

Don't panic
Apr 6, 2010
I want a pet bat.. Make that several pet bats.. and a castle. And some of those lasers you were talking about too.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
A pet bat wouldn't be so bad, but I'm certain they'd be a pain to train. They can be trained to do some things, however.

For example, I have bats that live in my attic (no, I don't own a belfry), and sometimes they manage to get out of the attic and into the lower levels of the house. A few of them know which room to fly around in and will immediately go outside when I open the door. Others aren't quite so well trained.

MongoBaer

Jun 17, 2010
Re: Laser Shark in the article

Did anyone contact Dr. Evil for a quote or comment?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Gonna be a bit of a spelling Nazi, but should "super phylum" be one or two words? (Or perhaps you meant a phylum that's particularly awesome?)

SharedProphet said:
Anti-lasers should be installed in every movie theater...
All we need now are anti-cellphones, anti-parents-who-take-their-five-year-old-to-a-Saw-film, and anti-I-think-the-actors-can-hear-me-and-will-tell-them-the-best-course-of-action-loudly.

So, we need anti-idiots.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Awesome, not all we need is some B-movie director to come up with the concept that we grossly misunderstood this creature, have one brought back by scientific tinkering, or a "Primeval" type tempoeral portal, and go on a killing spree. Sort of like the Pangaean but without "Tom Strong" around to save us. :p

"Drakazoon", the title just radiates class. I'll be waiting with my munchies and Netflix account. :p

... and I'll also be making sure I have a fire extinguisher handy just to be on the safe side.. you know it might not actually be a clinging leathery jellyfish but a more classic "Blob".

This does sound cool, I'm actually hoping we find out more stuff like this.''

Oh, and also seriously... I suspect the "Anti-Laser" is probably going to mostly be used on satellites to try and counter the Chinese satellite blinding laser system.

Yeah that exists, for those who haven't seen the links before do a search for "China, Satellite, Laser" here is one of them though:

http://defensetech.org/2006/09/25/chinese-laser-vs-u-s-sats/

There is a lot of stuff on this, if you do some searching some of the articles are more detailed, scarier, and also in a way more cool. Especially seeing as some of them claim China might actually be close to creating a laser powerful enough to shoot down satellites or the space shuttle.

... and incidently this kind of thing is pretty much why I am saying World War III is inevitable and probably closer than we want to admit.

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
Natural Selection will take care of the bat fungus problem. The bats will eventually develop a resistance to this fungus. Those genes will spread through the gene pool very fast since any bats without it will die off fairly quickly. Or the whole species will die off if they can not adapt

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Ia! Ia Drakozoon, lord of the ancients and first writer of the Pnakotic manuscripts! Ia! Ia Cthulhu!

Sorry, but that thing looks so Lovecraftian, I could not resist.

I would post a picture, but so far, none of the images I find are able to show up on the escapist... what the hell...

BUT! Links!
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/08/scienceshot-return-of-the-drakoz.html

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Drakazoon sounds like a name for an end level boss, not for a first level slime.

I have to admit I laughed at the first paragraph of the laser thing. That's the whole point of sharks with laser beams attached to their heads.

I'd buy a bat.

I keep finding weird how much old leftovers from when men lived in the comic strip B.C. are still relevant to how we behave, even though I should have gotten used to it already. ANIMALS, WE ARE ALL FUCKING ANIMALS

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Dara Solomon said:
Formica Archonis said:
Gonna be a bit of a spelling Nazi, but should "super phylum" be one or two words? (Or perhaps you meant a phylum that's particularly awesome?)
Nope, Superphylum *is* one word...
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/superphylum
- Dara, copy editor
Copy editor? Cool! Where? (Checks profile.) Ooh, a new(?) Escapist staffer?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Anti Lazer Lazers! Thats what we need....and no one will ever, see, it, coming!