Science!: Tongue Breathing and Synthetic Cells

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: Tongue Breathing and Synthetic Cells

Inside: Kevin Costner will single-handedly fix the oil spill fiasco.

Read Full Article

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
"Should man be creating life?"

Of course! It's about time we dropped this cosmic slave mentality.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
This biological breakthrough comes with its share of controversy. Some researchers are claiming that the term "synthetic cell" is misleading, since Venter and team didn't so much create new life, but just modified already existing life. President Obama and co. have also expressed concern about the report, claiming that it raised "genuine concerns" within the administration. Obama has asked the White House bioethics commission to start researching concerns over synthetic biology and get back to him in 6 months with its findings. The concerns range from safety and security of introducing synthetic DNA and genomes into a living system, and the non-physical; should mankind be "creating life?"
Wow, someone is being oversensitive. They just strung some DNA together and put it into a pre-existing cell. While the actual execution is very complicated, the concept is very simple. It's a lot like replacing the processor in your computer with one you've built yourself. With a kid's toolbox.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
This is completely awesome. Biotechnology, here we come! Should i preorder my indoor banana/apple tree, or should i wait for the reviews?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe. Go go kostner. Serioulsy though the oil situation needs sorting

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
I'm looking forward to all the implications in the areas of energy and food production. We could create bacteria to speed up the natural biodegrading process, and so allow for faster re-fertilisation of fields. Or perhaps greater levels of production for currently vat-grown drugs like insulin.

Damn, this is cool.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Well it is more accurately an organic cell with a synthetic genome at its core not a synthetic cell. That is like claiming we are making fish-people by putting on scuba gear.

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
Good on you scientists. Sooner or later people have to learn that progress is always going to bring controversy. This is a logical step to benefit mankind. So long as it is studied and utilized with the utmost care and the utmost responsiblity there shouldn't be an issue.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I think it's dangerous because this same artificial dna takes over a cell could be used to modify the dna of a full sized creature, like say: me, eventually. And i like being me.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
LightOfDarkness said:
Because bioterrorism isn't easy enough yet >:|
Of course. That's why there's regular bioterror attacks in Europe and North America that have killed thousands of people every month and are seen in the news all the time.

</sarcasm>

Terrorism is not as easy as everyone thinks. And if people stopped running scared maybe we wouldn't be handing freedoms away and spending billions defending against bogeymen. (And then terrorism would be even harder - it's only worthwhile if you know it'll make your target fearful.)

With each new tool comes both good and evil uses; we can't let the fear of negative overshadow the changes of positive.

Even if a specific human is not, humanity as a whole is fundamentally good. Society would collapse if we weren't. Any tool will be used more by good than evil.

Ever onwards, ever upwards.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Leave it to Costner to provide sucking as a solution to the problem.

Joking aside, I think the centrifuge plan is rather solid. Let's just hope they can keep the Smokers at bay while they get this cleaned up.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
While the turtles, Kevin Costner's sucking machine, and monkeys with communication are all interesting, I was hooked on the talk of biotechnology.

I understand that scientists have been creating pseudo-cells for some time now (creating them from scratch, not taking another cell and mutating it as is here), but the idea of being able to manipulate cells this way? It's fascinating! I suppose people could say it's also frightening, as movies like Splice might not necessarily be too far-fetched, but so what? We already have a billion ways to kill ourselves.

Adding one more that might also cure cancer, fight starvation, and provide people with real health benefits seems like it will be worth the risk.

We make guns, don't we? Guns really only have one purpose. This is highly varied and can be used for almost anything biological you can imagine (I, for one, cannot wait until they have a cure for upset stomach that you don't have to take over and over again).

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Glad the EPA managed to find an excuse to tell that guy to stop using the toxic stuff and start using the not so toxic stuff. This whole oil spill thing is too complicated.

The synthetic cell thing is... weird. I wonder if it's the first step of a new kind of bioengineering or just another step in the current bioengineering. I wouldn't know, I just think bionengineering is a cool word.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
I read about Costner coming to the rescue last week. I hope his device works and it isn't just some publicity stunt. If it does, major kudos to him

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
This is how every science fiction horror movie begins. "WE ONLY THOUGHT THAT THE CELLS WOULD SUCK UP THE Co2, WE DIDN'T THINK THEY WOULD SUCK UP ALL THE OXYGEN!!WHY DID WE PLAY GOD!!!!!"

and then we get only one month to live

nice job guys.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
spartan231490 said:
I think it's dangerous because this same artificial dna takes over a cell could be used to modify the dna of a full sized creature, like say: me, eventually. And i like being me.
Nope. lol

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I thought that bit about Costner was a joke. A stark parody based off how much Waterworld sucked. I suppose if your acting career is going downhill you can always invent a machine that cleans up oil spills.

gmacarthur81

<(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^)>
Nov 13, 2009
I for one welcome our new head shaking, bioengineered, oil suck and spinning overlords.