Science!: Vikings, Coconuts and Octopuses

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: Vikings, Coconuts and Octopuses

Inside: Dad dancing is an evolutionary turn off, and octopuses begin their master plan.

Read Full Article

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Octopi.

Figured I'd get it out of the way before everyone and their brother did the same.

EDIT: Although, to be fair, according to the dictionary, either is acceptable.

Second Edit: Argh! Caught me, didn't have time to read earlier, and I should have to save myself from the embarrassment. Etymology wins again.

grey_painter

Feb 10, 2009
Basking sharks are filter feeders and shouldn't be any threat to an octopus anyway. Clearly this proves that the octopus is learning to use tools and be paranoid.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
The octopus thing is cute, nice to see human waste having a positive effect on animal life for once. The viking thing was quite interesting too, it would be nice to see more history-orientated articles, but that's just me i'm a history buff.

Shoot me down for being pedantic, but Harold's warrors are usually refered to an Anglo-Saxons's and not English. The "English" emerge during the Middle Ages, once the Normans have intergrated themselves into England.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Hmm... the Recycling Viking... sounds like a superhero aimed at 4 year olds. Probably associates with Captain Planet and the Smurfs.

I dare you to say that name 5 times fast out loud. Without laughing.

That dancing bit was pretty funny too. I always wondered why 16 year olds and 60 year olds could dance incredibly but no one my dad's age could. Thank you science for providing the answer!

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Thanks for the heads up we shall send in some submarines and begin taking out the octopus before they become too powerful.

I also heard they are stashing WMDs

Captainguy42

Is trapped in a title factory.
May 20, 2009
That octupus thing is awesome, maybe if we start throwing knives down to the bottom we'll get little octopuss swordsmen.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Give it a few million years and octopuses will be as smart as we are! :p

The video of the octopus carrying its coconut-shelter is hilariously cute.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Dr. Dads findings have a simple interpretation. At middle age men are at a peak triumvirate of sex, money, and power, and the "dad dance" keeps women at bay. Their arm movements are key here. It's a defensive posture they are adopting. I bet you will see similiar movements from women in their teens.

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
the recycling plant for vikings only lasted 5 days?
or did i read that wrong
but its funny my way
cute little running octopimp
and that coconut could have been from an animal!!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Viking recycling was interesting, maybe the English that attacked were the forerunners of the modern Republican Party.

Stories on Cephalopods are always interesting, seems like dolphins have a contender for smartest marine lifeform. Marine life hates me already, I dread the day an Octopus advances on me weilding 8 knives and a glare in his eyes.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
Invertebrate win!
That was an absolutely awesome vid. The music not so much, but there's always the mute button. I wish I could be around in a "few" million years and see little Cthulhus walking around all over the place. <3

If we don't manage to kill all octopuses first that is...

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
grey_painter said:
Basking sharks are filter feeders and shouldn't be any threat to an octopus anyway. Clearly this proves that the octopus is learning to use tools and be paranoid.
xD
theyre advancing so fast, they will be equal to us soon, as long as we find out about theyre deap sea villages before its too late...

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Ahhh Lauren.Your little science corner here on the Escapist will never cease to amaze me.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Hey Lauren. Thanks for the credit. Have been trying to make it home from NY to UK since monday morning so I missed the article, but glad my contribution was used!

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Next Science will discover that men do not look at women's faces when conversing, that they like explosions and fast cars, and are more interested in mating than relationships. *sigh* Another experiment in the obvious.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Lord_Ascendant said:
Next Science will discover that men do not look at women's faces when conversing,
So THAT's why it is so hard to ask a girl out.
I think I'll just have to put on sunglasses.