Scientist Predicts Cargo Zeppelins in the Future

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Scientist Predicts Cargo Zeppelins in the Future

Could the future of aviation be something from decades in its past?

Planes produce enormous amounts of carbon, so the search for a less polluting alternative is a pretty high prority to the scientific community. Professor Sir David King, former chief scientific adviser to the UK Government, believes that in the search for a cleaner form of travel, the airship, rather than the jet, is the future.

While airships are much slower that jet aircraft, they can also carry a great deal more cargo - or passengers - and require much less fuel. King told the Guardian that major aerospace and defense companies like Boeing and Lockheed Martin are working on new airship designs. "There are an awful lot of people we talk to who say this is going to happen," said King. "This is something I believe is going to happen." King also said that airships could be fitted with cargo lifts so that they wouldn't need airports. This would save on the cost of transporting goods and could allow the airships to access more remote areas, like inland Africa.

Airships were popular in the 1920s and 30s, but the Hindenberg disaster in 1937, which cost the lives of 35 people when the hydrogen keeping the craft aloft caught fire, shattered public confidence and caused airship travel to be effectively abandoned. Modern airships, however, are filled with inert helium, making that kind of disaster a thing of the past. I must admit, I hope that airships do get used in the future. I don't really care about air freight, but I like the idea of going on a "sky cruise." After plenty of cramped flights, taking a little bit longer to get a load more room sounds very appealing indeed.

Source: The Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/30/blimps-aircraft-freight] via Dvice [http://dvice.com/archives/2010/07/if-cargo-planes.php]

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
Sounds cool. It's more a ride, like a boat ride, than a plane. We could have the Flying Titanic! (Though the name Titanic will probably scare people)

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I like the idea of cargo ships too. What my primary fear about them is:

And that scares the crap out of me.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
The sound of sky cruise pleases me greatly I think that would be spectacular regardless of inherent risks. Also I wouldn't mind being on a prototype test.

Ed.

Jan 14, 2010
Kevlar Eater said:

that only happens if you use hydrogen modern ones use helium which actually puts out fires

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Kevlar Eater said:

As the article explained, the new ships will use helium, not hydrogen, and so that can't happen.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
The reason hydrogen was used in the Hindenburg even though they knew better was because the US had an Helium embargo on Germany at the time and as such, Germany couldn't get the Helium they wanted and were forced to use Hydrogen

ScarletScapegrace

Oct 4, 2009
Kevlar Eater said:

Logan Westbrook said:
Modern airships, however, are filled with inert helium, making that kind of disaster a thing of the past.
There goes one less thing to keep you up at night. :)

But in all seriousness, this sounds like fairly good idea. And the best thing is, I'm training to become an aerospace engineer. The idea of working on making a feasible airship fills me with so much nerd glee.

EDIT: Darn it, first part ninja'd

Coliumbos

Mar 15, 2010
BabySinclair said:
The reason hydrogen was used in the Hindenburg even though they knew better was because the US had an Helium embargo on Germany at the time and as such, Germany couldn't get the Helium they wanted and were forced to use Hydrogen
So what you're saying is...
"Ach Nein! Our secret squeezy weapon has been sabotaged!"

(meh i've ruined it)

-=Spy=-

Jul 17, 2009
I always loved zeppelins. My plan if I won the lottery was something like:
1)Ensure future financial security for family.
2)???
3)Zeppelin.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
I don't really care about air freight, but I like the idea of going on a "sky cruise." After plenty of cramped flights, taking a little bit longer to get a load more room sounds very appealing indeed.
Let's not forget that airships happen to be FUCKING AWESOME. The more that's invested into commercial Airship travel, the closer i'll be to having a personal one... For a house.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Oh, I bloody well hope this becomes a reality :3
I love zeppelins :3 And Airships in general :3
Such fine craft... and it opens the way for this world to get Air 'clads :3