Scientists Claim Coma Victims May Still Be Awake

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
That is actually pretty depressing. I'm no saint, but let's just say I've had my fair shair of "chemically induced comas" that only lasted about 30 minutes to an hour (I think). And that really sucked for me to be able to think and respond mentally, but not be able to move your body or speak. Now imagine that for years. That Metallica reference was very appropriate.

Stackle

Dec 17, 2009
I saw the Metallica video for "One" and thought it sounded horrible, but the chance that it could happen to anyone? This is just another reason to never leave the house lol

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Sayvara said:
Exactly. In the black & white world of non-scientists, a correlation is causation... an indication is "proof"... and when someone calling him/herself a "scientist" has claimed something, it is suddenly universal truth.
Did you read the study, or even my brief explanation of it? It says that there was specific brain activity linked to the asking of questions, and did not involve a typist or any other ouiji board-like misdirection. This is not a case of CHE or any fraudulent activity.

I think you've reacted strongly and without reason, just like you are criticizing others for doing.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
cptmc said:
Interesting. I'm not sure I'm convinced it's proven anything. Though I think it has demonstrated more towards Kant's idea that the mental world is dependent on the physical world and not the other way around like Descartes believed. Practically speaking, though, I think they are codependent.

btw, it's Johnny Got His Gun.
Thanks, fixed.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
Bladecatcher said:
SharedProphet said:
Bit of a tangent, but I think the phrase "Scientists Prove Coma Victims May Still Be Awake" is funny.
Good point. You do use the phrase "prove" a lot but as any scientist will tell you, one test hardly proves anything, especially one as objective as this.
Thanks guys, I removed most mentions of the word "prove" in the story.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
This study implies that these people are awake and trapped in their dysfunctional bodies.
I find this so incredibly disturbing. I mean, honestly, even if you -were able to move-, being trapped in a single room is unbearable. Now take away movement, and just...wow. I didn't think it could get any worse...

Prof.Wood

Jul 10, 2009
If this is true how bad must it feel for the coma patients who get to listen to friends/family bad mouth them.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Wasn't there a news article here not to long ago about someone waking up from this very situation?

If it's true, it's some pretty horrific stuff.

Skooterz

Jul 22, 2009
Seriously, I should make a will or something that states that if I'm ever in a coma with no chance of awakening, that they are to kill me. Permanent coma = kill the Skooterz. None of that slow starving to death bullshit though. Shoot me in the head. With a gun.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Jesus. Imagine just sitting there for years.
that is quite scary. I would hate it if I was like that and couldn't do anything...and know it.

Although it does raise hope that people are still in there at least.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
Have any of you heard of or read "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"? It was "written" by a guy who was in a similar vegetative state, and could not move at all except for his eyelids. That's right, this guy dictated a book with eye blinks. They've made a movie of his story as well, though I haven't seen it. There are also stories of coma patients who wake up and talk about how they were awake the whole time. I think the headline for this article should be "Scientists may be able to communicate with coma victims", as some of them are absolutely awake.

johannmaximus

Feb 2, 2010
I'm not sure whether to believe it. If it's true, then good for them, it'll help a lot of people. Comapsychology is the way to go. But if it turns out to be rubbish, then oh well. There goes another money making scheme.

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
Uhh... I'm with the this stuff has been said many many times, and now it pollutes the escapist as well. /sigh. At least this hasn't spawned a wave of ZOMG THOSE POOR PPLZ. I'm moderately ok now.

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
I've been in a similar state to this with Night Paralysis (that is, conscious inside an unresponsive body) , when you wake up and your body doesn't, happens every now and again to me, its one of the worst experiences of my life to date, luckily it ends after a while when my body snaps out of it, but knowing i'd never come out of it? And there's nothing I can do about it?

Truly horrifying.

KrakFoxx

Oct 29, 2009
Couldnt you come up with the most epic story or poem, or some amazing revelation in that time? would be cool...