Scientists Debate Magical DNA Teleportation

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Scientists Debate Magical DNA Teleportation

Much to the chagrin of some, a Nobel-winning scientist insists that DNA can effectively teleport itself to nearby cells.

In many sci-fi stories, teleportation is achieved by digitizing the human body and sending it, at lightspeed, somewhere else to be re-assembled. According to Luc Montagnier, DNA already does this.

Rousing the ire of many chemists, Montagnier is shopping a paper around for publication which essentially states that DNA emits a weak electromagnetic field which can imprint the information contained in the molecule via a bunch of quantum stuff which I'm just going to call "magic". Using this "magic", the DNA imprints its genetic information in nearby water strong enough that the enzymes in cells responsible for copying DNA mistake it for being real DNA. They then go about their business of copying this ghost-DNA, producing a real copy of the teleported genetic information.

To prove this, Montagnier sealed 2 test tubes away from the earth's magnetic field, one containing a 100 base long strand of DNA, and one containing pure water. He proceeded to do a bunch of science things I don't understand, but essentially he put them in a copper coil and applied an electromagnetic field of 7 hertz to the two tubes. He then ran the contents of the tubes through a polymerase chain reaction, which basically is an enzyme that copies DNA. The DNA string was found in both tubes.

Like I said, magic.

The experiment has not yet been peer-reviewed or even officially published, so it could all be a figment of Montagnier's imagination, but that doesn't prevent the results from causing a stir in the scientific community. "If the results are correct, these would be the most significant experiments performed in the past 90 years, demanding re-evaluation of the whole conceptual framework of modern chemistry," says theoretical chemist Jeff Reimers of the University of Sydney.

Not everyone agrees with Reimers, however. Klaus Gerwert, an expert in how water and biomolecules interact says, "It is hard to understand how the information can be stored within water over a timescale longer than picoseconds." Felix Franks, known for helping to debunk similar findings in a 1988 paper, says "The structure would be destroyed instantly. Water has no 'memory'. You can't make an imprint in it and recover it later."

I don't know about you, but I am eagerly awaiting some peer-reviewers to determine, for certain, if I am built of magically teleporting quantum molecules.

Source: New Scientist [http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20927952.900-scorn-over-claim-of-teleported-dna.html]

(Image) [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DNA_orbit_animated_static_thumb.png]

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
It's not teleportation per say, it's more akin to sending somone a copy of a file over the internet.

Still cool none the less.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I get that you dont get it, but you really should try to do something instead of just calling it magic. Unintentionally, you white washed this entire article to set up this guy as some sort of loon and wizard, when he could be on the edge of a major break through that could be the break through on teleportation.

EDIT: not that I would get it if I saw, but someone who did could probably explain it more simply.

Feb 13, 2008
The U.S. Navy already did this. Allegedly.

Ship called The U.S.S. Eldridge, based in Philadelphia. Part of a big Experiment.

On a slightly more scientific note, Quantum Mirroring or the "Butterfly Effect" has been theorised since the birth of Quantum Mechanics.

I'll be extremely surprised if we've got to it this soon though, and astonished if it's actually controllable.

SmokePants

Jun 28, 2010
Total nonsense. The fact that this guy would even conceive such a ludicrous experiment points to him being a nutjob, nevermind the "results".

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Hooray for science! But, really, sometimes science needs to call Bullshit on itself. Although, if said Bullshit proves to be whats actually happening, we need to devise a way to replicate the way our DNA is imprinting itself across tiny, tiny distances. But, should we actually have a controlled way to make it only tiny distances, I would be impressed.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Clarke's Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Tho im not sure theres technology here XD

Pretty neat. Lets see what becomes of it. Science isnt based on opinion, so if the experiment can be replicated this man would be on to something!

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Woah no, no way.

Extensive double blind studies are required.

its actually more common than one would suspect for old nobel winners and other distinguished scientists to get a little bonkey and start submitting strange papers in later life.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
This is either a great step forward for science or there is more bullshit here than a dairy farm.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Meh, I've heard of crazier stuff in quantum physics. Now quantum entanglement, that's magic.

Fangface74

Lock 'n' Load
Feb 22, 2008
These stories pop up every so & so, just to keep people dreaming. Last time it was some University in the UK had managed to 'teleport' an atom sized particle a whole micron to the left. Amazing? yes! Did it happen? Did it fuck.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Aside from the somewhat biased article, There does seem to be a degree of potential in this. However the problem occurs not in the concept of teleportation but that of replication.

Note that the findings suggest, not that the DNA moved from point A to point B, but it copied itself from Point A to point B. Thing of it is that tiny little difference makes all the difference because you move from a technology with little moral ambiguity to one ripe with it.

What I do find interesting is that this presents the concept of Organic based science over techological based science, which always seemed to me to be the difference between what we considered science, and magic.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Scott Bullock said:
which I'm just going to call "magic".
It makes for a fun read but you realize you've just tilted 90% of the readers to cry "what a loon" right?

The_root_of_all_evil said:
U.S.S. Eldridge, based in Philadelphia. Part of a big Experiment..
Well not that I believe the operation Rainbow story but that was supposed to be a cloaking field. Even if that was remotely possible in the 1940's it's not the same thing.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
It just goes to show you, living in double plural zones does some crazy stuff to your DNA.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Scott Bullock said:
"To prove this, Montagnier sealed 2 test tubes away from the earth's magnetic field, "

I think it might have been better to say make the word "away" into "isolated," because on my first reading I believed that the experiments happened in space.

I might be the only one, though..

Comando96

May 26, 2009
DNA emits a weak electromagnetic field which can imprint the information contained in the molecule via a bunch of quantum stuff which I'm just going to call "magic"
You mean... A Mass Effect :p

Though it is used in a completely different application in mass effect, electromagnetic fields are used to create the Mass effect.

In honor of Bioware stepping on this by accident can we call it mass effect instead of magic :p
Its more appropriate for the escapists forums at least.

--------

On a serious level this is very interesting, yet confusing.