Scientists Find "95 Percent Proof Of The Existence Of Yeti"

Cropsy91

Apr 4, 2010
I'm not particularly impressed by this myself. Upon reading the article, their 'findings' sound like what they would find on the typical episode of MonsterQuest.
Cue commercial break before the last five minutes, where they then discover that the 'bigfoot hair' belongs to some other normal indigenous creature.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Reads Headline

Reads Actual News

What the fuck escapist? The headline trick again? Is your traffic REALLY that low? "Hey look guys something interesting!" **opens page** "LOL JK missrepresented the headline, made you look!"

It's like shouting LESBIANS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9113-Critical-Miss-LESBIANS] ......... "Well seeing as how you are here..."
Same reaction here!

Well, of course the guys who froze their asses off earnestly believing they would find a yeti are "95% sure" it exists with what they found. It could have been a box of crayons and... y'know what, no, screw you cryptozoologists, there is no "95% proof," there is only real and fake. Stop hyping things before the fraking DNA tests come back! I wouldn't mind the yeti being real, but years of this build up/let down relationship has me tad dismissive of anything that would fill a 30 minute time slot on the History Channel.

Additionally, I think it would be hilarious if the hair sample came back to be one of the crew's cats from back home.

Savrill

Jun 5, 2009
This calls for a team of people who actually search for evidence and report it on the scene....Tihs calls for...

DESTINATION TRUTH!

I do remember that episode where they found Yeti/Bigfoot evidence though...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
Reads Headline

Reads Actual News

What the fuck escapist? The headline trick again? Is your traffic REALLY that low? "Hey look guys something interesting!" **opens page** "LOL JK missrepresented the headline, made you look!"

It's like shouting LESBIANS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9113-Critical-Miss-LESBIANS] ......... "Well seeing as how you are here..."
my sentiments exactly D:<

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:

At least it's not as bad as 'POLITICIAN SAID ALL BLACK BABIES SHOULD BE ABORTED' like that other article they did. Not to mention the blatantly biased reporting on anything Fox-related.

/complaining

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
:-/

Well there's 30 seconds I'm not getting back.

The headline you were after was:
"Scientists" claim "95 percent proof" of existence of Yeti.

Note, CLAIM.

...jeez.

Oh, and if they're going out on purpose to try to prove the Yeti's existence, they're not doing science.
Gathering a load of unbiased-as-possible information and using it to determine whether or not it exists? SCIENCE.

PaganFury

Aug 31, 2011
Beautiful End said:
Todd...?

Anyway, there's a reason why we haven't found a Yeti, the Loch Monsters and so on: they don't exist. There's a reason why we can proof dinosaurs existed as opposed to mythological creatures like these. Think about it, scientists. Unless we can see the actual thing with our own eyes, then it's not valid. Or in simpler terms: Pic or it never happened.

I know they're the experts and I'm just the person behind the confines of a computer, but...their findings seem dumb. A footprint? A den? Hair?! That could be a million things!

You know what could be more interesting? If they found a werewolf. Then we could harness the were-gene (?) and be able to use it! :D
They are not experts in anything. Being a cryptozoologist is kinda like being a translater for a language you just made up.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Dense_Electric said:
I understand skepticism from a position of a lack of hard evidence, which, thankfully, seems to be the reason people usually refute the existence of such creatures.

What I don't understand is the mindset that it couldn't possibly exist because it's some sort of magical, mythical creature that can fly and shoot lighting from its hands. Would someone in this latter camp care to explain to me what is so extremely inconceivable about a large primate species living undiscovered in an incredibly remote part of the world? It wouldn't be the first time it's happened... [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Gorilla] Granted, that was 1902, but we're not talking about Cthulu here, we're talking about a possible ape or hominid species not terribly unlike others that we know exist. Why could that not, under any circumstances, exist?

And before you reply, please re-read my first paragraph to see what I'm not asking. I know I'm still going to get a dozen replies not answering my question, but I can't say I didn't try.
Just because there is existing mythology about a creature doesn't automatically mean it can't exist. The problem is, once a story about some unknown creature appears, everyone wants to be the next person to see it. For example, there was an old medieval story written about a monk on the shores of Loch Ness who saved a fisherman from a terrible creature sent by the devil. It was an obscure story that not all that many people knew. Then one day in 1934, a surgeon visiting the Loch started showing off his now famous photo.

Suddenly more and more sightings of the creature started cropping up, until the damned thing was being spotted every couple of months by tourists. Even after the photo turned out to be a picture of a toy submarine with a plastic plesiosaur head glued to it. Similarly, I imagine alien abductions were a rare occurrence indeed before the crash at Roswell. Once an interesting hoax is carried out, it draws out the attention seekers with great success. If I came over to Florida, built some big ass rubber tentacles, and took a poorly focused picture of them protruding from the water in the Everglades, then told the media a convincing enough story, you'd have day trips carrying boatloads of idiots with cameras and flowery t shirts out to look for the thing, even after it was revealed as a hoax.

As to whether its conceivable that a large ape could exist which is suited to tundra climates, its not completely inconceivable. However, to this day there remains absolute zero proof of such a creature existing, and the only reason we even think of it is because there are records of some thousand year old hunter scaring his friends with stories of something he made up for a laugh.. This kind of account should not be enough to believe in something.

Come to think of it, there's a Westboro Baptist Church article in the link directly below this text box...

Saxnot

Mar 1, 2010
fueled by the spirit of glasnost? what the hell?

meaning, fueled by the spirit of openness?

what, they were trying to push democratic reform trough yetis?

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Saxnot said:
fueled by the spirit of glasnost? what the hell?

meaning, fueled by the spirit of openness?

what, they were trying to push democratic reform trough yetis?
Spirit of Vodka. Waaaay more likely.

Think about it. They all took a few more shots then they should've, they got bored... Discovered a mythological creature!

Tune in next time when they find leprechauns after smoking weed.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
yet nobody found yeti dung or a corpse.
I mean I don,t want them to kill a yeti but it seems unlikely that yeti,s live forever.