Scientists Have Discovered a Horse-Sized T-Rex Fossil in Uzbekistan

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Scientists Have Discovered a Horse-Sized T-Rex Fossil in Uzbekistan

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1298/1298083.png

Twenty bucks says that Bryce Dallas Howard could *still* outrun this thing in high heels.

If everything we've learned about the Tyrannosaurus Rex over the years is true, the former apex predator is a big fan of goat meat, is capable of running at speeds faster than most Jeep Wranglers, and has no natural enemies save Jeff Goldblum.

What most of us might not know is that the T-rex wasn't always the 40 ft. long, 15 ft. high bellowing monster depicted in the Jurassic Park documentaries. In fact, they were barely bigger than your average horse for millions of years, acting as little more than scavengers under the reign of the mighty Allosaurus. Somewhere along the way, however, they rose to become the alphas of their realm...until they were replaced by Jeff Goldblum some 65 million years later.

The question of how the T-rex grew so astronomically is one that scientists have been unable to answer ever since, thanks in no small part to a massive gap in the fossil records. That was...until Monday, when scientists unveiled a skeleton of the Timurlengia eutoica, a newly-discovered species that some are claiming to be the missing link between the two forms of the dinosaur. The Washington Post [https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/03/14/scientists-find-horse-sized-tyrannosaur-that-may-be-missing-link-to-t-rex/] has the details.

Fossils of the new dinosaur were found in the central Asian nation of Uzbekistan. The species appears to have been about the size of a horse, and without the absurdly huge head and the industrial-strength jaws of T. rex. But its brain case indicates that it was rather intelligent, like T. rex, and had many of that dinosaur's advanced sensory abilities, including the ability to hear low-frequency sounds.

So basically, these scientists are simply taking credit for the creature first discovered by Whoopi Goldberg in [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY7gsUL9Xkk]. Pretty shameful, if you ask me.

The unveiling ceremony took place at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington, where Hans-Dieter Sues, a paleontologist and co-author of the paper describing the discovery, described to reporters how the T-rex likely "got smart before they got large (as The Post puts it).

"The skill set was the key qualification to apply for the job of top predator," said Sues. "Our new beast certainly had very good hearing, certainly better than any other tyrannosaur."

Named after the 14th century conqueror Tamerlane, the Timulengia is being described as "a remote cousin" to the Tyrannosaurus as we know it and is believed to have lived around 90 million years ago. You can read the entire fascinating story on how the Timulengia's skeleton was discovered over at The Post [https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/03/14/scientists-find-horse-sized-tyrannosaur-that-may-be-missing-link-to-t-rex/]. You can also learn about how Theodore Rex became a crime-solving dinosaur...by watching the movie Theodore Rex.

Source: The Washington Post [https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/03/14/scientists-find-horse-sized-tyrannosaur-that-may-be-missing-link-to-t-rex/]

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
Initially my thought was "We could of had these instead of horses!!!!!" But then my logic center kicked in and reminded the rest of my brain that horses rarely ,not counting the jerks who bring equine wrath upon themselves, try to eat people. Though I'm totally up for a movie about flesh eating horses.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Khrowley said:
Initially my thought was "We could of had these instead of horses!!!!!" But then my logic center kicked in and reminded the rest of my brain that horses rarely ,not counting the jerks who bring equine wrath upon themselves, try to eat people. Though I'm totally up for a movie about flesh eating horses.
While I didn't know horses were *that* dangerous, I was thinkin' the same thing.
Horses are already kinda big, and a T Rex at it's smallest is about that size? I'm not gonna get too close, be cool to look at though.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Extra-Ordinary said:
Khrowley said:
While I didn't know horses were *that* dangerous, I was thinkin' the same thing.
Horses are already kinda big, and a T Rex at it's smallest is about that size? I'm not gonna get too close, be cool to look at though.
Horses are super dangerous, it's why they need training to be ridden. I don't envy the person who first managed to catch and then tame a horse.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Khrowley said:
By the way, there are man-eating horses in the Greek Mythology. They are called "the Mares of Diomedes".

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fulbert said:
Are they sure this isn't just a T-Rex cub?
They are, because contrary t what the headline here says, this isn't a T-Rex. This is a new species, Timurlengia eutoica, and the discovery dates it ten million years before T-Rex arrived on the scene. It's being hailed as the missing link in Tyrannasaur evolution.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Khrowley said:
So, I know a comic where a horse actually turned out to be a mutant abomination...

OT: So, essentially we've discovered what equates to the tom cat in the world of predatory lizards. Not cute.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Im Lang said:
It's kind of a dark day when even hobbyist-tier paleontology is getting the Reader's Digest treatment in an outlet aimed at nerd. "A horse sized Tyrannosaur" is just as workable a headline, with the added benefit of being accurate.
In fairness, horse-sized dinos conjure up many an image that scratch my nerd itch, so such a find certainly has a place on a nerd site. It's just that the article is ambiguous and the headline is misleading.

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
CaitSeith said:
Khrowley said:
By the way, there are man-eating horses in the Greek Mythology. They are called "the Mares of Diomedes".
Was thinking more along the lines of the military is trying to create a new breed of warhorse when things go horribly wrong.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Perfect example of the problems with Palaeontology and the media. I apologize if I sound like I'm attacking the OP, that's not my intent as this is a pretty informative (funny) article, it's just the fact that you have to play up the link to 'blood hungry monsters' or you can't report shit. I love T.Rex, got one tattooed on my back, but by my scaly progenitors it is NOT the only poxy fossil critter who should get reported on!

Also, remember T.Rex is a species, the title should say 'Horse side Tyrannosaurid'... that is, if if it's even been confirmed to be THAT close a relative.