Scientists Stick Eyes on Tadpoles' Rears... And They Work

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Scientists Stick Eyes on Tadpoles' Rears... And They Work

Tadpoles prove to be even more awesome than we already thought.

Wouldn't it be great to be a scientist? You could wake up in the morning, grab your coffee, head to the lab, and proceed to transplant eyeballs onto random animals just for kicks. Ok, so that's not exactly what researchers at Tufts University are up to, but their most recent line of work does involve installing eyeballs where they don't belong.

Working with sightless tadpoles, scientists at the university began experimenting with grafting eyeballs onto the animals' tails. This might sound pointless, but the findings are quite startling: Despite not being integrated into the optic nerve of the tadpoles, the eyes began to function, allowing the tiny creatures to see.

To prove that the tadpoles had been graced with the gift of sight, an experiment was conducted. The animals were placed in dishes with two different colored LEDs, both red and blue. In the areas of the dish with red lighting, a small electrical shock would zap the tadpoles, but areas lighted with the blue LED were safe zones. After a brief training period, the tadpoles avoided the red, danger areas over 70% of the time.

But before you go planning some strange, 1,000-eyed elephant, it's important to note that amphibians like the tadpoles in the study are known for their ability to accept developmental stimuli. While it's possible that the work could continue with other species, we're probably many years away from being able to grow eyes in the back of our heads.

Source: Geekosystem [http://jeb.biologists.org/content/216/6/1031.abstract]

Image credit: Benimoto [http://www.flickr.com/photos/benimoto/2548615317/sizes/z/in/photostream/]

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
So Walter Bishop is on their staff then? :D

OT: Huh, didn't think you could do something like that but science just loves to shoot nature the bird it seems. Little confused as to how this could help us but it is rather amazing that it worked at all.

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
BobisOnlyBob said:
I'm curious if the optics were actually working or if their experimental setup was warmer on the red side than the blue side, allowing the tadpoles to rely on thermal sensitivity (or perhaps some water change instigated by the electrical current) instead of visual spectrum cues. Still, they're probably right, they're the scientists, not me.
You are correct. What's missing here is the control group data, which should exist and which would eliminate the factors you listed.

Aug 1, 2010
Well, I think this requires an incredibly loud yell of
[img/]http://www.wall321.com/thumbnails/detail/20120815/science%20threadless%201366x768%20wallpaper_www.wall321.com_30.jpg[/img]

This is why I love the human race.

Oh, that thing can't see? LET'S STICK EYES ON ITS ASS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
How drunk does a scientist have to be, to one day say to himself " you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to take eyes, and I'm giong to shove them in a tadpole's ass". His cagoule goes "Why would you do that?" and the first goes "fuck if I know? but it'll be hilarious"

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
I saw this movie one time..... Where scientists screwed around with amphibian biology...... What was the result again?

Oh Yeah!!! DINOPOCALYPSE!!!! At least on that one island.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
A couple of people have already said it, but does the experiment actually prove that it's the eyesight that was helping them avoid the harmful area, or reaction to some other stimuli? I mean, I'm sure that me being a common thicko means a scientist would have considered that problem already, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

Still, this is pretty cool. Not seeing the practical applications of it, but either way, good on them.