Scientists Uncover Genetic "Recipe" for Reptillian Limb Regeneration

Blackwell Stith

See You Space Cowboy ...
Jun 28, 2014
Scientists Uncover Genetic "Recipe" for Reptillian Limb Regeneration

The ability to harness the genetic formula found in reptiles to regrow appendages could make characters like Dr. Curt Connors less science fiction and more science fact.

Scientists are now one step closer to being able to stimulate limb regeneration in humans. A team of researchers from Arizona State University [https://research.asu.edu/#institutes] have discovered a genetic formula that allows for tail regeneration in lizards, and may ultimately be possible through the use of correct genetic ingredients in correct amounts.

The team used advanced molecular and computer analysis tools to examine the genes activated during tail regeneration- specifically in the green anole lizard, which can ditch its tail when caught by predators and grow it back later. Other animals like salamanders and fish can also regrow their tails- with growth occurring mostly at the tip. During tail regeneration, they each turn on genes in what is called the 'Wnt pathway'-a process that is necessary to control stem cells growth in organs such as the brain, hair follicles and blood vessels. Lizards, however, have a special pattern of tissue growth that is distributed throughout the tail.

"Lizards basically share the same toolbox of genes as humans," said Kenro Kusumi, professor in ASU's School of Life Sciences and associate dean in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. "Lizards are the most closely-related animals to humans that can regenerate entire appendages. We discovered that they turn on at least 326 genes in specific regions of the regenerating tail, including genes involved in embryonic development, response to hormonal signals and wound healing." Kusumi was also the lead author of the ASU team's study of findings that was published in scientific journal PLOS ONE [http://www.plosone.org/].

The researchers hope their findings will help unlock new therapeutic approaches to spinal cord injuries, repairing birth defects, and treating diseases such as arthritis. "Using next-generation technologies to sequence all the genes expressed during regeneration, we have unlocked the mystery of what genes are needed to regrow the lizard tail," said Kusumi. "By following the genetic recipe for regeneration that is found in lizards, and then harnessing those same genes in human cells, it may be possible to regrow new cartilage, muscle or even spinal cord in the future."

Wanna learn more about our cold-blooded friends? Check out this article on how turtles talk to their young [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136978-River-Turtles-Shown-to-Communicate-via-Vocal-Sounds]!

Source: Phys.org [http://phys.org/news/2014-08-lizards-regenerate-tails-genetic-recipe.html]

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Damn, well now if they can just incorporate that mojo into a mammal and slowly bridge it across species back to us...

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
I volunteer for anole genes immediately.

Shove in the genes to change my skin colour depending on mood while you're at it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Better joke out of the way: They experiment with it a little, and...

At least there isn't much IN Arizona.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Yes! Because we nned to create a race of Supervillain Lizard people to fight off the oncoming Ebola Zombie hordes.

SmittyMcBrimstone

Jun 22, 2013
May one who is much more scientifically educated than I answer me when I ask this.
When they say that "Lizards are the most closely-related animals to humans that can regenerate entire appendages.", does that mean that they are close enough for an actual scientific breakthrough, or is this like when people were getting all hyped for replacing diabetic people's pancreases when they still carried the gene and their children would inherit it?

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
When they get this to work I am so getting the treatment and cutting off my legs because my knees are major f***ed up and my legs are bowed from a birth defect

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
So basically "We haven't yet established that it's possible, but we haven't established that it's impossible either!"

Also, didn't Dr Connors keep losing his leg every time he turned back? I don't think that would be considered very useful.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Cool, but the day we start growing genetically modified human beings in laboratories is the day I'm out.

You all realize how horrifying this would be? While we're at it, lets give human beings shark teeth, the ability to be 15 ft tall and 8 limbs like spiders. Oh, and lets spit acid and molt our skin.

YAY! SCIENCE! SUCH A GOOD, GOOD THING IT IS....

I mean... cloning alone is horrible, let alone CHANGING what we are... its bad enough that we do it to animals...

captcha: hold your tongue

MAKE ME! someone's gotta be the voice of reason 'round here. SCIENCE SUCKS

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Hm. So from what I'm reading, the tail itself is actually structured in such a way as to specially facilitate this. That may prove a challenge, then.

But then again, I guess we do regrow plenty of things already. Maybe it's not that far off.

Excellent article.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Artanis said:
May one who is much more scientifically educated than I answer me when I ask this.
When they say that "Lizards are the most closely-related animals to humans that can regenerate entire appendages.", does that mean that they are close enough for an actual scientific breakthrough, or is this like when people were getting all hyped for replacing diabetic people's pancreases when they still carried the gene and their children would inherit it?
Well theyve only discovered the gene as of now, the article says nothing of whether theyre anywhere near actual use in humans. This happens all the time when there are discoveries like this. Its entirely possible that this will lead to humans who can regrow body parts, but it sure as hell wont be soon. Itll go through years, decades even of testing, and ethics debates etc. etc.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
michael87cn said:
You all realize how horrifying this would be? While we're at it, lets give human beings shark teeth, the ability to be 15 ft tall and 8 limbs like spiders. Oh, and lets spit acid and molt our skin.
No one in the history of Man has ever said they wanted this. And if they did, so what? It's bad because you think it's icky?

SCIENCE SUCKS
Fine, we'll just take back your small pox inoculation, and the polio one, and your car, your food, your house (at least all the electrical things). And if you get sick, don't bother showing up to a hospital, you don't want to get science all over you.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
killerbee256 said:
Jumwa said:
I volunteer for anole genes immediately.

Shove in the genes to change my skin colour depending on mood while you're at it.
Would you like a dewlap as well?
It'll help impress my wife during mating, so why not?

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
If we can unlock regeneration for specific limbs without causing the same regeneration to cause growth in the brain and other tissues that would be great. Unfortunately I got this feeling that the way the gene works it would probably do more harm than good to us humans. Otherwise we'd probably have the ability given it would have increased our long term survival.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Colt47 said:
If we can unlock regeneration for specific limbs without causing the same regeneration to cause growth in the brain and other tissues that would be great. Unfortunately I got this feeling that the way the gene works it would probably do more harm than good to us humans. Otherwise we'd probably have the ability given it would have increased our long term survival.
Thats, not how evolution works. No mammal to my knowledge has this ability because to regrow a limb would require an incredible amount of energy. Energy that we cant spare due to 2 big reasons. One, mammals are just much bigger than most reptiles (the ones who can regrow limbs anyway) and two, mammals use a huge amount of energy just regulating our body temperature. Reptiles dont have that second problem, they regulate their heat through external methods, meaning they dont have to eat nearly as much to regulate their internal conditions, so their energy from food can go towards things like limb regeneration.

Its not that it would be harmful to us, its more that with the way we are built, we couldnt sustain it without a huge source of energy that we could never naturally get. However in this modern day and age where in 1st world countries, food is plentiful and medicine is more potent than it has ever been, its entirely possible that limb regeneration could become a common thing sometime down the road (Its gonna be a while before there is human testing)