Scientists Unveil "Nanoparticle Drug Factories"

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Scientists Unveil "Nanoparticle Drug Factories"

With development, these clever particles could revolutionize how we consume drugs.

As crucial and useful as pills and injections are for our continued health, there are situations in which these methods of drug delivery have the potential to do more harm than good. To deal with situations of this kind, a team of researchers has developed micro- and nanoparticles capable of synthesizing drugs within a patient's bloodstream. The work was published in the American Chemical Society journal Nano Letters.

The particles themselves are composed of a protective layer that encapsulates a drug factory of sorts. The factories are equipped with DNA and certain types of protein-making machinery similar to the kind found in living cells; thus, when commanded to, the particles are able to synthesize proteins and dispense them directly into the bloodstream.

The team behind the nanoparticles, led by Daniel Anderson, posit that the particles could be the start of a new approach to administering drug therapies. With enough refinement, the particles could be programmed to release specific protein-based drugs in response to external commands.

While many modern drugs are based on proteins of the same kinds as used in the particles, they can't be administered directly to specific areas in the body. If they work in humans, the nanoparticles would be able to eliminate that risk at the same time as removing the need for patients ingest (or otherwise process) their drugs.

The nanoparticles have already been shown to produce the correct proteins when subjected to laser light in both sterile lab settings, and inside the bodies of laser-lit test mice. When deprived of the stimulus of the laser, the particles shut down and generally behaved themselves while awaiting further instruction.

The potential applications for this technology, with sufficient advancements, are myriad and generally pretty interesting. What's waiting to be discovered and developed during the refinement of this technology could be potentially even more exciting; if the "point a laser at it" technique loses its shine, for instance, what sort of chemical or ingrained triggers could be created to control the particles?

Source: Science Daily [http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120627103350.htm]

Image: American Chemical Society [http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/nl2036047]

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
You know, something like this, rigged to trigger in response to blood glucose levels, would constitute a cure for type I Diabetes, depending on how long they last before needing replaced. That is fucking amazing.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
The Science is Bad and Tin Foil Hat crowds are just going to love this. I see that the word "generally" has already caused the first poster to assume the worst.

Hopefully this technology survives public paranoia and gets a chance to do some good.

Giftmacher

Jul 22, 2008
It just sounds like a modified in vitro transcription cocktail to me. The laser light activation is a new twist though...

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
The Plunk said:
Hevva said:
The nanoparticles have already been shown to produce the correct proteins when subjected to laser light in both sterile lab settings, and inside the bodies of laser-lit test mice. When deprived of the stimulus of the laser, the particles shut down and generally behaved themselves while awaiting further instruction.
The use of the word "generally" is slightly worrying in this context.

I assume it means that there's only a 0.001% of one of these "factories" malfunctioning and administering bath salts into your brain.

Brace yourself, the zombie apocalypse is coming!
Relax. The manufacturer would instantly notice the malfunction and immediately shut down the assembly line. The scientists and engineers would then find out the reason for the malfunction, thus finding a way to prevent it from happening again.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
McMullen said:
The Science is Bad and Tin Foil Hat crowds are just going to love this. I see that the word "generally" has already caused the first poster to assume the worst.

Hopefully this technology survives public paranoia and gets a chance to do some good.
Imagine this.

Put tranquiliser nanofactories in the water supply.

Whenever someone acts up shine the laser on them to turn the nanofactories on.

Thats my kind of future dystopia. Tranquilising people with lasers.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
gigastar said:
McMullen said:

Imagine this.

Put tranquiliser nanofactories in the water supply.

Whenever someone acts up shine the laser on them to turn the nanofactories on.

Thats my kind of future dystopia. Tranquilising people with lasers.
I thought that's what the chemtrails, subdermal microchips, and subliminal TV messages were for. Besides, don't they already put stuff in the water? I'm surprised it doesn't have the consistency of syrup by now.

Also, they already have lasers to pacify crowds. Microwave lasers that cause excruciating but harmless pain by heating the water in your skin layers. No really, I'm being serious on that one. Far more reliable and fast-acting than bloodborne tranquilizer factories.