Scorned Girlfriend Deletes WoW characters

Coop83

Mar 20, 2010
http://www.fark.com/cgi/vidplayer.pl?IDLink=5400897

Now, I know that we're probably reading a little too much into the situation, by trying to work out whose fault this debarcle is. Let's just agree that they are both at fault.

What I find incredible is the reaction of what is clearly a hardcore gamer and I know some people that are in relationships where both of them are WoW players, but I've never met a couple where this carries on and the relationship doesn't end in tears.

Odds are that the couple are no longer together and as a result, this woman is viewed as a hero or a soon-to-be-victim of domestic abuse. I really don't blame her for not being around when the situation escalates (at about 4 minutes.)

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Why would a person's girlfriend have his WoW password? That's just idiotic of him...

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
Easy to recover. Major trust issues abound - does she..

Hang on, better look at the article..

OK, that looks fake to me.

There is an issue of course if he takes his anger out so quickly and so violently (and so destructively) I would argue that alone is reason to walk. But a video game isn't. Seriously folks, if you are having an issue with your partner sit down and fucking talk about it. All you do when you delete characters is make the recovery queue longer.

And remember - WoW is like the Hotel California. When you have been there you never really leave.... (OK, unless you get banned but that isn't what happened).

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Jandau said:
Why would a person's girlfriend have his WoW password? That's just idiotic of him...
Because some people see that as the ultimate sign of trust, which in this case backfired for the guy who got all his shit deleted. If he was so into the game that he couldn't take time away from to spend time with his girlfriend and he was trusting enough to give her his password then he had it coming.

Coop83

Mar 20, 2010
Looking at the video, he just went to get some cigarettes and left himself logged in.

He was the architect of his own destruction in two ways.

1) Ignoring his girlfriend for playing time on the computer

2) Leaving her the means to collectively dump a steaming pile of revenge in his lap.

Someone needs to track down this woman and make this into a Mastercard Advert

Sophisticated computer system: £1,000
World of Warcraft Subscription: £20 per month
Packet of 20 cigarettes: £7
Leaving your girlfriend to delete months of your hard grinding: Priceless.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Okay....I think the girlfriend just showed a sign of immaturity right there. If you feel your boyfriend is spending more time with WoW then you, then you don't just delete it all to piss him off. You walk away and find someone new, someone who won't ditch you for a computer game. All she showed me was that when she gets angry, she's just gonna destroy something you worked hard for.

The Guy also overreacted, my brother has deleted characters before and it is possible to get them back. Problem is, it's gonna be difficult to do that when you break the computer.

Jun 3, 2009
Jandau said:
This.
If trust to you means that you need to share *everything*, you might be more insecure than you think.

ETA: I don't think it was justified. If you are destroying things your partner cares about, maybe you ought not be together.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Didn't read the article, but assuming the guy's even remotely intelligent, the events will go:

Girlfriend deletes WoW characters.
Boyfriend messages GM to have them restored.
Boyfriend waits minutes/hours/day at most.
Boyfriend continues playing WoW.

It's ridiculously easy to restore deleted characters.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
He could get them back, I think you have almost a year or so for Char recovery.

And if this is real... I think retrieveing his lost characters should be far down on the list of his concerns if his wife is willing to attempt wiping away something he obviously enjoys on a massive scale.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
maddawg IAJI said:
Okay....I think the girlfriend just showed a sign of immaturity right there. If you feel your boyfriend is spending more time with WoW then you, then you don't just delete it all to piss him off. You walk away and find someone new, someone who won't ditch you for a computer game. All she showed me was that when she gets angry, she's just gonna destroy something you worked hard for.

The Guy also overreacted, my brother has deleted characters before and it is possible to get them back. Problem is, it's gonna be difficult to do that when you break the computer.
Yeah this is the way I feel about it. I've told my girlfriend what to look out for and warn me if I ever start becoming that guy about any game (1 year to TOR).

Do we actually know this is real? Why would she video all of it unless she is also a malicious *****.

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
She hit him where it hurts...

The professions.

Seriously, though, this would be easily recovered by opening a ticket with a GM. Wow, that guy needs to settle down, though. I remember looking up some of my characters on the armory only to be told they didn't exist. I logged into the forums and was told I had no characters on this account. I figured I had been hacked so I logged in only to find my characters intact. Something was simply wrong with the armory. My thoughts were "Well, that blows, but at least I can level a mage, again."

Awake-

Jun 7, 2010
Why the hell would you neglect your girlfriend for a videogame? That idiotic guy had it coming.

There was this one report back then where a couple divorced because the guy was too absorbed into WoW. The wife bought it for him.

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Wow. What a long video, Just skip to the last 20 seconds people.

Also, given how he reacted, I suspect he has done more than his share of wrongdoing and deserved what he got. I'm glad this happened to him. I could be wrong, who knows. I do fear for his gf though. I hope he confronts her and she proceeds to pound him into the ground.

Limzz

Apr 16, 2010
Valksy said:
And remember - WoW is like the Hotel California. When you have been there you never really leave.... (OK, unless you get banned but that isn't what happened).
I left, I must be the chosen one.

The guy probably wasn't aware that they could be recovered. I don't know how many people here have played WoW but that guy put solid months into those characters. I'm not saying this is healthy to play that much. Honestly though, I would probably be ripshit too if someone destroyed something I worked that long on.

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
Limzz said:
Valksy said:
I left, I must be the chosen one.

But your account still exists and your characters are waiting... Unless you are banned (and I swear that Acti-Blizzard have a "stop loss" policy, you pretty much have to punch Bobby Kotick's grandma to get banned) then you can always go back...

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
I would be temped to take this seriously but.... it seems so so so so very fake.

If it isn't, the guy is getting what happens when you play too much WoW, a rude awakening. Just hope his (probably) ex girlfriend will be fine after their next meeting.