Scotch

Monkfish Acc.

New member
May 7, 2008
4,103
0
0
I'm too poor to have anything fancy or, you know, good.
Scotch is just one of the few liqours that doesn't taste like horseshit when you buy it cheap.

Also the least dodgy. Cheap vodka may or may not be dangerously toxic.
 

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
8,584
141
68
A Hermit's Cave
Togs said:
I once bought a £75 bottle of Caol Ilsa 16 year old- pretty much the final word in Islays, decided to share it with my new housemate as a "getting to know you by getting pissed on fine booze" thing- dude went out the room and came back with a bottle of coke, I so very nearly strangled him.
^_^ One of my friends went through a phase of being a real scotch snob. He ordered a scotch at a pub and went ape-shit when the girl serving us opened the ice tub with his drink in the other hand. Went off on one for about two minutes and nearly reduced the poor woman to tears.
 

Spacewolf

New member
May 21, 2008
1,232
0
0
Togs said:
Cheesepower5 said:
I can't say I'm a big fan of scotch, I prefer whiskey. But Glenmorangie is really good, none the less.
Not sure if serious.....
Scotch is a protected term that always has to be spelt as whisky, whiskey means irish or maybe borbon


Also who knows some good irish whiskeys as i need a 50th prestent for the oldman and he prefers irish as he says its generally smoother

I wouldnt mind hearing about some cheaper scotch gems being a student £60-100+ a bottle if abit to much
 

similar.squirrel

New member
Mar 28, 2009
6,021
0
0
What is the distinction between Scotch and Whiskey? Is it just the location of the brewery?
I've had Famous Grouse, which was okay. And if Whiskey is the same, I love Bushmills.
 

Togs

New member
Dec 8, 2010
1,468
0
0
SckizoBoy said:
^_^ One of my friends went through a phase of being a real scotch snob. He ordered a scotch at a pub and went ape-shit when the girl serving us opened the ice tub with his drink in the other hand. Went off on one for about two minutes and nearly reduced the poor woman to tears.
Most whiskey drinkers I know have had moments like that- where someone tries to shot it, or compares it to Jack Daniels, or mixes it with coke, or asks for one and then doesnt drink it, or puts ice in it.

Diluting it with water is just about acceptable, but you only need a drop or two not a whole bloody half pint (don't laugh I actually knew someone who used to do this).

Spacewolf said:
Scotch is a protected term that always has to be spelt as whisky, whiskey means irish or maybe borbon

Also who knows some good irish whiskeys as i need a 50th prestent for the oldman and he prefers irish as he says its generally smoother
Huh never knew that- always thought scotch was just an americanised name for scottish born ones.
 

c_westerman13

New member
Mar 29, 2011
329
0
0
Togs said:
c_westerman13 said:
Ardbeg? it is good, is it? theres a shop near me with it at £10 off a bottle - I was already tempted!
Ive seen bottles go for £60 near me, its very peaty and slightly smokey, if you like your Islays id strongly reccommend it.

Oh and being asked about whiskey by Justin Bieber maybe the most surreal thing that's happened to me day.
Justin Bieber?
did you just call me bieber?
wth?
 

monojono

New member
Sep 3, 2009
52
0
0
I love Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie. If only I could afford to drink them regularly :(

Flames66 said:
I drink Tesco value scotch whiskey mixed with Dr Pepper.
I feel your pain, fellow broke person.
 

live2laugh

New member
Dec 10, 2009
45
0
0
mmmmmmm Glenfiddich, I got given a small gift set with bottles of the 12 year the 15 year and the 18 year, they are so good. also like a bit of Penderyn. Pity I'm a student and can't afford to buy them too often.
 

Kraj

New member
Jan 21, 2008
414
0
0
Johnny walker black.If I come across a windfall of cash; then a higher color!
 

Togs

New member
Dec 8, 2010
1,468
0
0
c_westerman13 said:
AAAAAARGH!! Aaargh fuck! you ba****d!
you had to make me do it!! dammit!
As was done to me so shall be done to others.

Oh and whatever you do DON'T click it again.


EDIT= looking for vengeance? go buy that Ardbeg and gloat.
 

c_westerman13

New member
Mar 29, 2011
329
0
0
Togs said:
c_westerman13 said:
AAAAAARGH!! Aaargh fuck! you ba****d!
you had to make me do it!! dammit!
As was done to me so shall be done to others.

Oh and whatever you do DON'T click it again.


EDIT= looking for vengeance? go buy that Ardbeg and gloat.
Why, what happens if i click it again? surely it cant be any worse on a SFW forum?

And yeah, that Ardbeg is tempting now.
that or use
adblock, which i use *only* to block the damn music on /v/
to remove avatars for 24 hours...
 

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
8,584
141
68
A Hermit's Cave
Togs said:
Most whiskey drinkers I know have had moments like that- where someone tries to shot it, or compares it to Jack Daniels, or mixes it with coke, or asks for one and then doesnt drink it, or puts ice in it.

Diluting it with water is just about acceptable, but you only need a drop or two not a whole bloody half pint (don't laugh I actually knew someone who used to do this).
Reminds me of an episode of Scrubs: Dr Cox 'y'don't drink scotch!'

I think I'll have to start a brandy thread... I'm thirsty...

Togs said:
c_westerman13 said:
AAAAAARGH!! Aaargh fuck! you ba****d!
you had to make me do it!! dammit!
As was done to me so shall be done to others.

Oh and whatever you do DON'T click it again.
You... are an evil individual! ^_^
But please DO click again! Nothing bad will come of it, I promise.

>_>
<_<
^_^
 

TheHecatomb

New member
May 7, 2008
528
0
0
So far my absolute favorite is the Talisker 10. Like you're french-kissing a freshly asphalted street, just absolutely wonderful.
 

TheHecatomb

New member
May 7, 2008
528
0
0
Elcarsh said:
Meh, Talisker is peanuts compared to the big league Islay ones. It certainly cannot hold a candle to Ardbeg Supernova.
Alright, you've got me interested, I'll keep an eye out for it.
 

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
206
0
0
Ah, whiskey. One of my few financial indulgences as a student, but I should say that the owner of the place where I get most of my whiskeys has a talent for picking out the good, inexpensive ones.

For example, Finlaggan is one of the better Islays I've had (essentially the equivalent of a sledgehammer to the face as subtlety goes, but SO smokey and peaty...) - Clontarf is another favourite of mine, as is Tyrconnel. All of them below 30 euros. Then again, I've come across very few single malts I couldn't appreciate.

As for the ice/water thing, I prefer one or two drops of (cold) mineral water in most of my whiskeys. Personal taste, but I find it improves the flavour.

I could go for one right now, actually, so I'll grab one. Cheers!