Scott Pilgrim is getting an anime series

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Scott Pilgrim, which has been a beloved comic, a cult classic film, and an absolutely addictive video game, has now reached boss level with an upcoming anime adaptation. Netflix and and UCP (The Umbrella Academy, Chucky) are adapting Bryan Lee O’Malley’s comic series, with O’Malley writing and executive producing alongside BenDavid Grabinski (Are You Afraid of the Dark? reboot).

The series will be animated by anime house Science SARU (Devilman Crybaby, Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!), with Abel Góngora (OK K.O.!: Let’s Be Heroes, Star Wars Visions) directing. Edgar Wright, who directed the 2010 film Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, will also be executive producing with partner Nina Park.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Oh Goodie, ‘Hipsters the Anime’, just what we needed xD

I kid, the premise probably lends itself very well to anime. So yeah, not my scene but I’m sure it’ll secure a decent sized fan base.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Didn't the film bomb hard? Also didn't it mess up part of the story, with Knive getting massively shafted? Should they really be bringing people who worked on it back?

Anyway, it should be pretty easy to make into an anime since it's pretty much a shonen.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Didn't the film bomb hard? Also didn't it mess up part of the story, with Knive getting massively shafted? Should they really be bringing people who worked on it back?

Anyway, it should be pretty easy to make into an anime since it's pretty much a shonen.
The movie wasn't bad, but it was more like a music video of the books rather than the complete story. A lot of the nuisance and morality is lost, buts it's the most "fun" parts of the books and as such has a solid cult following. I enjoyed it and I think it would have been difficult to fit all that into a film so maybe they want to do right by the books.

That said Hollywoods (and fucking Netflix specifically) track record is pretty rough at this point. Even in long form I don't have any faith they'll capture the meat of the story.

Idk about knives though. Pretty much the same character. Not sure what you mean? What about her got left out?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The movie wasn't bad, but it was more like a music video of the books rather than the complete story. A lot of the nuisance and morality is lost, buts it's the most "fun" parts of the books and as such has a solid cult following. I enjoyed it and I think it would have been difficult to fit all that into a film so maybe they want to do right by the books.
I mean, the fact that the comic wasn't finished when they made to movie probably didn't help.

I just hope the folks that didn't like it because Scott's a douchebag comes to realize that, yes, Scott's a douchebag and becoming less of that is the point. Hard thing to write for

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just hope the folks that didn't like it because Scott's a douchebag comes to realize that, yes, Scott's a douchebag and becoming less of that is the point. Hard thing to write for
That's the major problem. There is little reason to like, let alone find Scott sympathetic. Why should the reader or viewer sympathize with a jack ass in his mid 20s trying to hook up with a naive high school girl who's barely 17? Only to dump her for some other chick (without saying anything to her until things are at their worst), who is kind of an asshole too. Back then I felt a little uncomfortable, and when the "Me Too" movement happened, I could never enjoy it again. Plus, the movie gets less funny the more I watch it. Before you start, yes it is part of his character development, but there are just some things I can't stand. I have standards. Also, even when you take Scott out the equation, most of his friends are douche bags you would not want to hang around, much less talk to.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
That's the major problem. There is little reason to like, let alone find Scott sympathetic. Why should the reader or viewer sympathize with a jack ass in his mid 20s trying to hook up with a naive high school girl who's barely 17? Only to dump her for some other chick (without saying anything to her until things are at their worst), who is kind of an asshole too. Back then I felt a little uncomfortable, and when the "Me Too" movement happened, I could never enjoy it again. Plus, the movie gets less funny the more I watch it. Before you start, yes it is part of his character development, but there are just some things I can't stand. I have standards. Also, even when you take Scott out the equation, most of his friends are douche bags you would not want to hang around, much less talk to.
That is the point of Scott Pilgrim is the fact he and Ramona are two imperfect people who undergone toxic relationships while falling for one another trying to find their place and how it affects their friends. Scott hits me on a personal level since I made a lot of mistakes as a 23 year old and we will all make mistakes no matter how much of a saint we paint ourselves as.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That is the point of Scott Pilgrim is the fact he and Ramona are two imperfect people who undergone toxic relationships while falling for one another trying to find their place and how it affects their friends.
I already said last time: I get the point, just don't like characters and don't find them endearing.

Scott hits me on a personal level since I made a lot of mistakes as a 23 year old and we will all make mistakes no matter how much of a saint we paint ourselves as.
I am glad to know you chose to learn and grow. If you relate to Scott on a personal, there is nothing wrong with that. I personally can't. I've made my own share of mistakes, but yeah, no on relating to Scott. Does not matter the version.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
That is the point of Scott Pilgrim is the fact he and Ramona are two imperfect people who undergone toxic relationships while falling for one another trying to find their place and how it affects their friends. Scott hits me on a personal level since I made a lot of mistakes as a 23 year old and we will all make mistakes no matter how much of a saint we paint ourselves as.
It's funny how on a surface level Scott seems like a pretty toxic person, but for a lot of people, myself included, he's also empathetic. There's that kind of meme about young people being selfish awful people. I both agree and acknowledge I was one of them. All the people in SPVTW are the exact kind of people I grew up around. Went to the same shows and house parties, had the same toxic relationships. When I was 16 half the people I hung out with were in their 20's. You always had that mixed bag of kids hanging around. Groupies or kids looking for drugs, someone to buy them alcohol or in my case I was someones little cousin.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
It's funny how on a surface level Scott seems like a pretty toxic person, but for a lot of people, myself included, he's also empathetic. There's that kind of meme about young people being selfish awful people. I both agree and acknowledge I was one of them. All the people in SPVTW are the exact kind of people I grew up around. Went to the same shows and house parties, had the same toxic relationships. When I was 16 half the people I hung out with were in their 20's. You always had that mixed bag of kids hanging around. Groupies or kids looking for drugs, someone to buy them alcohol or in my case I was someones little cousin.

You can both toxic and empathic at the same time, the problem is if you can work past your flaws as a person and Scott had self esteem/loathing issues as well. For someone who was Scott's age when the movie premiered, I came to a hard realization 10 years later just how toxic my lifestyle was and how it actually nearly destroyed me and even then there was the occasional bone falling out.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
On the idea of a series I thought it sounded cool.
Then I heard Netflix were making it and well no thanks, sorry but I won't bend my no Netflix rules even for what I consider my favourite film of basically all time from a franchise I'd love to see more from

The Movie broke even the week before leaving the Cinema and then made a crap ton due to word of mouth when it came out on DVD / home media but because Hollywood is messed up and weird it's considered a failure because it didn't come out as the top film in the box office release week.

As far as Knives story it missed some stuff but move some of the other stuff around to other parts but they did cut out all of the stuff with Knives father

Because part of the reason he doesn't say anything is he doesn't want to hurt her feelings as such but later comes to realise how shitty his actions were and how much he hurt her possibly more by not acting when he did. Part of the reason he's sating Knives is meant to be (as I think is even pointed out) it's sort of a rebound from Envy Adams (Natalie) where she decided she didn't love Scott anymore and broke up with him and moved away while he was so devoted to her so Knives represents everything he thinks he'd want a girl who is super dedicated to him and much as he was to Envy but again realising that he doesn't want to break up with her because he remembers those feelings of being so dedicated and in love and having some-one break it off. For Scott being with Knives is like a simpler time as such for him but it somewhat shows have stuck in things he is and how he's not been moving forward.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Because part of the reason he doesn't say anything is he doesn't want to hurt her feelings as such but later comes to realise how shitty his actions were and how much he hurt her possibly more by not acting when he did. Part of the reason he's sating Knives is meant to be (as I think is even pointed out) it's sort of a rebound from Envy Adams (Natalie) where she decided she didn't love Scott anymore and broke up with him and moved away while he was so devoted to her so Knives represents everything he thinks he'd want a girl who is super dedicated to him and much as he was to Envy but again realising that he doesn't want to break up with her because he remembers those feelings of being so dedicated and in love and having some-one break it off. For Scott being with Knives is like a simpler time as such for him but it somewhat shows have stuck in things he is and how he's not been moving forward.
I know all of that already; I don't care. Does not change the fact that he is an selectively oblivious idiot. Even as someone in his late teens (I never knew of the comic until I was 20), I already knew you have to be a dumb mother-fucker go after two different girls (1 who is underage) and just drop one for the other and falsely hoping the younger naive girl would forget about him.

Last edited:

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The Edgar Wright movies meant a lot to me, back in the day. It felt like the first movie that was really made for "my" generation, the first to have a uniquely millenial sensibility and capture the millenial mindset. But being so much of a product of its time, I don't think it really aged all that well. It was certainly the vanguard of a specific brand of "pop art" that would eventually find its way into the mainstream, that mashup of various elements from video games, anime, television and so on that adresses that can relate to these sensibilities without them having to be elaborated upon. A lot of more recent media that I really like, say, Zack Snyder movies, Arcane, Into the Spiderverse and so on, owes quite a bit to it. Unfortunately, so does some utter trash like Ready Player One or Pixels. Scott Pilgrim, by itself, feels more like a prototype each year. I can still admire a lot of what it does and how bold it was back when it came out, but on the other hand, the central love story is not especially well executed, some of the humor really does just boil down to references and the characters present a specific type of smarmy urbanites that even back then, I didn't really relate to much.

What I'm saying is, it's an artefact of its time and I'm not sure it needs a new adaptation. Practically all that was good about it has been salvaged and improved upon.