Scottish University Now Offers Degree In Comics

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Scottish University Now Offers Degree In Comics

Dundee University has launched a new degree program that might finally put your encyclopedic knowledge of The Family Circus to good use.

Led by Dr. Chris Murray, a professor the BBC calls "one of the UK's leading authorities on comics," the new one-year Master's degree program will "study the impact of comics on the worlds of art, literature and popular culture."

"This is a very exciting time for comics scholarship, and I am delighted to be able to offer this postgraduate course on comics," Dr. Murray said.

"This is a unique opportunity to give this important medium the attention it deserves, and to allow those with an interest in comics to study it in detail."

There's no word on what specifically will be covered in the course, though the BBC notes that the program will be built on "strong local traditions" in the comic industry. Though that doesn't necessarily indicate a direction for the program, it does hint that the course will be less Batman, and more "weird British mirror universe Dennis the Menace [http://www.toonopedia.com/dennisb.htm]."

Still, it's a degree in comics. If nothing else, it beats an art history degree whose only practical application is in impressing high school girls and scoring a sweet barista job. Especially since Dr. Murray cites job placement as one of the key goals of the program.

"Employability is an important consideration for any postgraduate program, and it lies at the heart of what we aim to do with this course," Murray claims. "There will be practical advice on publishing and developing a career as a comics scholar, writer or artist, and we hope to arrange work placements for students."

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-13668885]
(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/14077949@N00/304057365/])

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
If nothing else, it beats an art history degree
Oh come on, ninja'd by the OP.
This does sound really cool. That said, I don't know if it would be a great idea to rely on this to get you a job. Maybe do it as a double degree, or study part time after you've found a job you can hold down for a while. Hell, years from now I plan on going back to University part time. There's this awesome place my friend goes to that has a course specifically for game design. Being in Australia, that doesn't really open up employment opportunities, I'd just love to do that. He's doing media and design or something, so that's not so bad.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, I have a fine arts degree. I love it, I am not a barista. I have a buddy with an art history degree and he is curator. It's honestly a pretty sweet gig. They make degrees for everything these days. LOL.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
OI! Our Dennis the Menace was not only far better than yours, but only came out 5 days later, due to print.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
It's good to know Universities are offering important, relevant, and engaging degrees that benefit society.

aahahahhahhhhahahhaha

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Oh man, this is so freaking tempting. Do I throw away my life on some silly university course or... do I take a degree in comic books?

[sup]I am totally kidding, but it's still tempting.[/sup]

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
I don't know whether to be ashamed of proud of my university right now...Hmm feels like shame,
deffinitly shame.
[sub][sub]Honestly, we're one of Britains "Ancient Universities" and we have a course in COMICS?!?![/sub][/sub]