Scribblenauts Draws A 1 Followed by 6 Zeros

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Scribblenauts Draws A 1 Followed by 6 Zeros

The critical darling puzzle game, Scribblenauts [http://www.amazon.com/Scribblenauts-Nintendo-DS/dp/B002B1TDV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279053101&sr=1-1], has sold over 1 million copies since it was released in September of last year.

Garnering praise from all sectors of the gaming industry since it was shown at E3 last year, where it was the first handheld game to ever be named "Best Of Show." One of the bright spots of the successful DS platform in 2009, Scribblenauts has now reached "blockbuster" status by selling over 1 million units. Scribblenauts was designed by 5th Cell and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

"We are extremely pleased with the sales of Scribblenautsand credit the game's innovation and wide appeal in making it a hit with gamers of all skill levels," said Martin Tremblay, president of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "Scribblenautsis one of our strong original brands, and we look forward to bringing consumers more quality gaming experiences as part of our portfolio game strategy."

The design team at 5th Cell attributed the success of the game to the fact that it appealed to gamers of all skill levels by allowing them to solve puzzles any way they wished by writing any object they could imagine.

Well, almost anything. No matter how many times I entered "dildo" nothing ever seemed to appear, much to my chagrin.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Haha, clever title.

Scribblenauts was one of my biggest gaming letdowns. The controls were next to useless, and all I could think while playing it was "why couldn't this be on pc".

Now I know.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
the only thing that was a let down for me was that it had no story, i think and epic puzzle quest would have been awesome

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
How many of those customers got infuriated by the "click on the pixel wide rope and if you click beside it max runs into lava."

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Blanks said:
the only thing that was a let down for me was that it had no story, i think and epic puzzle quest would have been awesome
Can you really say that the controls didn't fuck you over at least once?
Greg Tito said:
Well, almost anything. No matter how many times I entered "dildo" nothing ever seemed to appear, much to my chagrin.
Could you not just have a stick for the same uses?

[sub]In the game, you perv[/sub]

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
A friend bought me this game for my birthday and I had a blast with it. The controls are kind of retarded, though. I still managed to have fun in spite of them, however. Speaking of dildos, I managed to accidentally summon an item that looked eerily similar to one once. I have no idea what it was called, though, and I never managed to repeat the incident.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I never got to play the game myself, though if I did, I'd probably have fun attempting to make all kinds of crazy solutions to things. I wonder if it's possible to use no word twice in an attempt to beat the game...

I'd be a bit more creative than this, though. I would have used "pickaxe" to see if I could cut the tree down without using an axe or saw :D [http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/658704990_ZBBmQ-L.jpg]

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
factualsquirrel said:
Blanks said:
Greg Tito said:

I'm sure they did but usually ending in hilarity, it really didn't bother me

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Why did this shit sell so well? The controls were awful. The physics and wonky and well, everything under the hood was a bit broken.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
Scribblenauts is one of those games that are so awful and annoying to play but addicting to play the puzzles.

I'm not surprised, however.

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
Ah, the irony. If a regular forum member had used the word 'dildo' in that context then I'd imagine some sort of probation would swiftly follow.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I love the title, lol

And thats pretty cool, hehe, dont own it myself but I have wanted to

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Blanks said:
factualsquirrel said:
Blanks said:
Greg Tito said:

I'm sure they did but usually ending in hilarity, it really didn't bother me
Well, it made it unplayable for me, especially as everything I did with a pit involved a rope of some sort, which was impossible to touch.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
I got this for £16, absolute bargain. The controls needed a serious rethink, but the puzzles are fun.

Actually I might have spent more time messing about on the title screen spawning random objects. Spawning a Large Hadron Collider, putting a T-rex next to it, then blowing up said LHC with an RPG has never been so cool.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
scotth266 said:
I never got to play the game myself, though if I did, I'd probably have fun attempting to make all kinds of crazy solutions to things. I wonder if it's possible to use no word twice in an attempt to beat the game...

I'd be a bit more creative than this, though. I would have used "pickaxe" to see if I could cut the tree down without using an axe or saw :D [http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/658704990_ZBBmQ-L.jpg]
It's possible to do so, but hard. The game encourages it, but there are only so many different ways to fly in this game.

OT: For such a creative premise, this game felt very restrictive. Probably due to it being a mission based system, and not as open as I'd have liked it.