Scribblenauts

Moccamonster

May 22, 2009
Great article, as always, but I'm actually surprised you laughed at someone requesting a review for ODST.

I mean, it's pretty well established you don't enjoy the series(to say the least...), so having another game in said series will not only allow you to rant at the line of games in general, but also review the fact that people are still willing to buy a 3-hour game at full price, which would somewhat fit the theme of 'idiots ruin the market for everyone else', since this gives of a message that what gamers really want are short and boring campaigns at full price as long as there is a new mode in the game or something.

EDIT: and the point you made about gaming being the only medium where open world-elements are prevelant: Yeah, that's because gaming is a distinct medium. You can't apply gaming industry-logic to other media. That'd be like asking for an expansion pack for Clockwork Orange.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
I just read the comment above me.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

No.

And yeah, nice rant.

Viperish fall

Apr 27, 2009
Hmmm I guess by commenting I am just proving his point that I'm an idiot.

Shit. Still I am enjoying these articles.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Having a go at the comments option, interesting option for the man paid to write articles and produce videos heavily commented on.

Also I'd argue that I'm not an idiot, but having never played little big planet of scribblenauts I won't be able to prove it to you.

That being said quite a good little article and any dig at political correctness gets a tick in my books

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
No other medium does this. It'd be like reading a novel, and every few pages there's a crossword you can do, or there's a little short story booklet stapled to the page that says "YOU CAN READ THIS IF YOU WANT BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO! IT'S YOUR CHOICE!" And if you read that then it doesn't affect the story but the rest of the pages become slightly easier to turn.
What about an adventure booklet like the Lone Wolf series? I personally enjoyed them a great deal, and it provided a few side quests that didn't really affect the final outcome but made it easier to play.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I get [small]*ahem* a bit insulted[/small] when someone calls me an idiot,because unlike 99% of the Internet,i have at least a semblance of a working brain. Sure,i'm not Albert Einstein or Oscar Wilde,but i can distinguish pineapple from a live grenade,at the very least.

But then again,this is the Internet.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Don't blame you for the closing comment.

Good article, and I feel so safe now that I've found my place in life; being an idiot.

Kollega said:
I get [small]*ahem* a bit insulted[/small] when someone calls me an idiot,because unlike 99% of the Internet,i have at least a semblance of a working brain. Sure,i'm not Albert Einstein or Oscar Wilde,but i can distinguish pineapple from a live grenade,at the very least.

Oooo get you. And besides, an idiot can distinguish the difference, but that doesn't mean he's not going to try and eat the grenade.

Destrin

Aug 8, 2008
Kollega said:

You can't use grammar or punctuation properly though, can you?

Feb 13, 2008
But doesn't this mean Yahtzee, that you're an idiot as well? (Given that you've already condemned your own game making [which I rather liked, although that saltbag was a bit of a cop-out])

As such, ironically, wouldn't Scribblenauts be perfect for you, if you could blend LBP's level's design and Scribblenaut's creativity. Almost like Gamemaker 7 and a word processor blended in.

Less like a game, more like a tool.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Well, someone's very bitter today, aren't they?

"Yes, you see, I'm saying you're an idiot, too. I felt I should make that clearer because you're an idiot."

At least I don't own a stupid hat.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
But wait, Dear Yathzee, by making these videos and articles, does that not make you an idiot too? Your assuming that people are interested in your thoughts aswell, just like the idiots you mentioned.'

Edit: Damnit, gotta read all the posts next time, someone already said it.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Snowalker said:
But wait, Dear Yathzee, by making these videos and articles, does that not make you an idiot too? Your assuming that people are interested in your thoughts aswell, just like the idiots you mentioned.
He could always counter you with "I do it for the money."

Marohen

Jun 30, 2009
Oh boy, getting a little dismissive and oversimplifying here, aren't we?

Yes, there are idiots, there are a lot of them, but I figure you'd be above the black-and-white preconception that there exists only people who are intellectual and creative and people who vie for a facade of such through SMB recreations in LBP.

Maybe I don't want to create my own game [From scratch, rather]. Maybe I don't want to be a beacon of light for society--or a critic of the subsequent shadows that emerge. Maybe I just want to shoot zombies with a gun that fires saw blades or make a lot of pretty explosions splash across my screen or just generally pass the time between work and friends and sticking my penis into things and generally being content with my existence.

It's better as a critic to let those who haven't the time or the passion for a particular subject be informed of the flaws that occur within particular instances regarding it then to sit atop an ivory tower of self-established enlightenment and impose your biased preferences for how a game should be developed.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
How would he even have time to review ODST when he's busy doing Brutal Legend?

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Snowalker said:
But wait, Dear Yathzee, by making these videos and articles, does that not make you an idiot too? Your assuming that people are interested in your thoughts aswell, just like the idiots you mentioned.'
Well you obviously care if you took the time to read and comment.

I'd bet that more people care about what Yahzee thinks than what you think. Judging from the fact that he gets paid for his opinion and because of all the comments

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Snowalker said:
But wait, Dear Yathzee, by making these videos and articles, does that not make you an idiot too? Your assuming that people are interested in your thoughts aswell, just like the idiots you mentioned.
Although in all fairness Yahtzee knows people are interested in what he has to say, due to the escapist crashing every Wednesday at 5 under a herd of people rushing to watch the latest ZP, and having to answer people in Extra Punctuation shows that people at least question what he has to say.

OT: I see what you're saying, open world games where the experience is purely sandbox and nothing else are bland after a while, because doing things becomes meaningless, while I am aware that Scribblenaughts does have "levels" it's still just giving you slight variations on a theme of "get the star" as opposed to a real direction, or real reason to be getting them beyond for the sake of it. Games like Fallout 1-3 work well as open world I feel, as you are still reasonably driven, and providing the world has enough to it to explore and the world is fun to explore, it's nice to play around in for hours on end, (I myself lost hours to wondering Cyrodil and the capital wasteland).

For me, I find a vast world with a pushing story line to be the most entertaining, like Fallout or FF, given you can go off and explore if you so wish, but the story is THERE. What I dont like however is being a no one, which is where games such as fallout 3 do not work, which is mainly because the other characters I really don't care about, you are no one in Fallout 3, which is odd because Gordon Freeman is technically no one either, but the supporting cast makes you care about them and him, as opposed to fallout where you dont.

However, sometimes a SET story line is great, such as half life or a final fantasy, I dont expect to create a character from scratch all the time, other wise the story is a bit blank in places, if we took say FF8 and just made Squall a character you made up from the scratch and the story was still the same, it would be no where near as compelling as it was when two ACTUAL characters have their relations built up.

Anyway, i'm not not quite sure where or how any of that rambling relates or makes sense, so ill end with TLDR: Open world is nice as long as it has bloody direction and the side stuff actually makes an impact on things like the story and character.