SDCC 2014: Car Swarmed, Woman Injured During Comic-Con Zombie Walk

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
SDCC 2014: Car Swarmed, Woman Injured During Comic-Con Zombie Walk

Make-believe horror turns real-life scary outside SDCC.

A tongue-in-cheek celebration of pretend gore and safe scares turned real-life-deadly Saturday evening at the San Diego Comic-Con's annual "Zombie Walk," an event where participants march while costumed as the living-dead, when a woman was struck by a car after it was (allegedly) attacked by some marchers.

Details are not 100% clear as police are still looking into the incident at this time. The car, which was occupied by a deaf family, was stopped waiting for the marchers to pass at approximately 5:30pm when, according to the father (who was driving) his children became frightened by the "zombies." He began to move forward - possibly angling for the crowd to let them through - at which point, police say, multiple persons began to beat on the car, smashing its windshield. The car then drove forward to escape (stopping when it reached a nearby police officer) and in the process is said to have struck a 64 year-old woman who was subsequently hospitalized for a possible broken arm.

There are, currently, discrepancies as to whether either the injured woman or all of those attacking the car were marchers or spectators. Police are investigating and will seek video recordings of the incident.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/comic-con-hit-and-run-zombie-march/#more-791804]

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Geez, that's terrible. Looks like next year, assuming they do it again after this incident, they need to lay a bit more of ground rules of what participants do, even if it ends up not being their fault. I wonder how it was all planned, and if people knew what the route would be as well as what time it was running from. They've done it before, so it might just be chalked up to a few bad individuals. I'm glad that it ended up only being a broken arm, and not something more serious.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
The car was moving fast enough to hit a women and break her arm ? LOORRRRRI !!!! CAAAARRRRRRLLL !!!!!

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Sad to say, this doesn't surprise me. If there is any one thing hardcore zombie-walk fans don't understand, it's "I'm not playing, leave me alone please."

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
My big question here is did they smash the windshield because they were taking the whole "zombie march" thing wayyyyyyyy to far, or did some people think the driver was trying to run them over and reacted violently?

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
AstaresPanda said:
The car was moving fast enough to hit a women and break her arm ? LOORRRRRI !!!! CAAAARRRRRRLLL !!!!!
The car wouldn't have to be moving fast for it to happen, especially given the age of the victim. Just a gentle nudge to knock her off balance, an awquard fall and bam! Broken arm.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Morti said:
AstaresPanda said:
The car wouldn't have to be moving fast for it to happen, especially given the age of the victim. Just a gentle nudge to knock her off balance, an awquard fall and bam! Broken arm.
Time to get that adamantium bonding sorted eh ^.^

But yeh even so, i cant see a bunch of zombie ppl being able to break a windshield with their hands so either some asshole took somthing to it or the guy driving broke it in the panic of his kids shitting themselves.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
major_chaos said:
My big question here is did they smash the windshield because they were taking the whole "zombie march" thing wayyyyyyyy to far, or did some people think the driver was trying to run them over and reacted violently?
I think it's the latter with a little bit of the former thrown in. It's seems to me like they saw a car driving towards the crowd and wanted to get the driver to stop by hitting the car, but someone took it too far by smashing the windshield which just made things worse.

I'm kind of suprised that they had a zombie walk somewhere where this could have happened in the first place. Keep that shit away from traffic! It's lucky that only one person was seriously hurt though, it could have been a zombie apocalypse and the medics wouldn't have a clue who was hurt and who was wearing makeup. The horror...

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
That's pretty awful news. Then again, this is what happens when some people take their love for "geek" culture way too far. My first and foremost hope is that the lady who was struck is (relatively) alright.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Guys, lets be rational here, something seems fishy about this story. Maybe we should wait till more details come out. Responsible folks should use this article to realize they should check their footage of the parade to see if they can provide any assistance....

Aww who are we kidding this is the internet! OMG STUPID ZOMBIZ LOL

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Disappointing, next time someone fit an anti mine flail on their car before driving through the zombies Dead Rising style.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Oh dear... there's always some people who just take it a bit too far, isn't there? Maybe they should try to, I dunno, keep the marchers away from traffic to avoid this kind of thing?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This would never happen in Pittsburgh. They gots some brains over here, oddly.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
FalloutJack said:
plus, a swarm of furries bringing money every year is more acceptable than a swarm of zombies bringing oddity I guess XD

OT: seriously never have understood this sort of thing.......zombies really aren't all that interesting at this point because media has dragged the concept into the ground....but....*shrugs* some people really do go too far XP

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
FalloutJack said:
It's all the one way streets and Pittsburgh lefts, and parking chairs.
We like to do our driving idiocy in short bursts, rather then letting it build up into one extremely stupid event.

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
"Hey Tim, sit down mommy and I´ve got something to tell you. Yesterday, grandma was killed when while pretending to be a zombie she attacked a car full of deaf people. The driver, perplexed and bedazzled by the sudden influx of the living dead, ran grandma over and sadly could not hear that the crowd was yelling at him to stop rather than chanting for more brains. Needless to say, her head popped like a watermelon, sending chunks of grandma all over the sidewalk. Sweet dreams, champ!"

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Why am I not surprised in the slightest that a bunch of people at a huge event like this weren't controlling themselves.

Attacking the fucking windshield, are you kidding me?