SDCC 2014: Dawn of Justice's Wonder Woman Revealed

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
SDCC 2014: Dawn of Justice's Wonder Woman Revealed

Zack Snyder tweets first official image of Gal Gadot in costume as Amazon heroine

To your right: The first official image of Wonder Woman as she will appear in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

The sepia toned filter of the poster makes it a little difficult to discern what color everything is supposed to be, but otherwise this image (tweeted moments ago by Zack Snyder during Warner Bros SDCC presentation, which also featured an exclusive few moments of teaser footage) reveals a fairly classically-designed Wonder Woman uniform.

While some had suggested she may sport the modernized jacket and pants combo from the early-2000s reimagining, this version appears with the standard torso-armor and skirt, along with knee-high armored boots and a tiara. The breastplate is shaped like an eagle, calling back to the pre-WWII original design, while the belt forms a rough "W" symbol. In the poster she carries a sword and lariat - it's been suggested that in the film she'll utilize multiple melee-style weapons.

Created in 1941 for DC Comics by Psychologist and polygraph-inventor William Moulton Marston, his wife Elizabeth and their partner Olive Byrne, Wonder Woman is widely considered the most well-known female superhero in the world. Dawn of Justice will mark her first appearance in a theatrical film, though the character has previously been the subject of a TV movie and a popular live-action series starring Lynda Carter.

Source: Zack Snyder [https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/493085967490637824/photo/1]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Rather drab looking if you ask me.

Although I guess that's in line with the movie's overall aesthetic.

Could have been worse I suppose.

I look forward to seeing the photoshop joke images.

(Don't ya hate it when someone posts something in the forums within minutes of the news post? Copy-pasting your comment makes you look like a bit of a dork, but on other hand EVERYONE MUST WITNESS MY GLORIOUS OPINION.)

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
yeah, that's definitely Wonder Woman. I was thinking she'd take on Greek armor designs, and lo and behold it came to pass. Now to wonder how the other members of the Justice League will be.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Aiddon said:
yeah, that's definitely Wonder Woman. I was thinking she'd take on Greek armor designs, and lo and behold it came to pass. Now to wonder how the other members of the Justice League will be.
I think they are getting it. Apparently in the teaser footage Batman was wearing the Frank Miller Power Armor from the Dark Knight Returns and it, by all accounts, looked almost exactly like it does in the books.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I quite like her look, but it does seem support this miserable aesthetic. I'm going to see Man of Steel shortly, so I can probably be more fearful or less concerned when I return to this.

Edit: Well I've seen MoS. If they're going for the same look in the sequel I will not be concerned at all with this outfit.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Look at that.
She's holding a sword, walking down a burning landscape.
Meanwhile, the two boys are looking like mopey dopey morons. Supes in the rain like dogs locked out of their master's houses. Batman staring at the floor, as if his parent's scolded him.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Completely underwhelming. She looks like a background character from Xena: Warrior Princess. And before you say 'great!' just know I like my Wonder Woman to have more self-respect than that.
Seriously with a skirt that short(if that even qualifies as a skirt) everyone is going to looking for the Wonder Woman cheese-shot during the movie.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Silentpony said:
Seriously with a skirt that short (if that even qualifies as a skirt) everyone is going to looking for the Wonder Woman cheese-shot during the movie.
The WW cheese shot is the only reason I'd consider renting this movie.

Just saying.

Edit: And to be honest, that's not even true. I think she's been horribly miscast. Gadot isn't WW material.

OT: Glad she's got the classic set. If it'd been jacket and pants that'd be three strikes for three characters.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
So instead of embracing the gaudy, over the top old costume or going with a more down to earth practical costume, they decided to take the worst of both worlds. That is hideously ugly. Christ, as much as I hate fanservicey designs (looking at you Blazblue) at least they're usually colourful and you can snark at how crazy they are. This desperately needs some colour and life. Cap's outfit in his first movie managed to nail that perfectly.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Meh, could be worse I guess. Atleast they went something a LITTLE more modest (although I agree with Banedance that people will be looking for the cheese, particularly with her spread legs pose) than her original costume, but not going with the terrible pants design.

I do wish they went with the original blue coloring, rather than the bronze brown. It looks like it came from the depths of the worst last gen "brown is REAL" modern shooters.

I don't absolutely hate it. It just feels lifeless.

OR that you need to be brooding and realistic at ALL times to have interesting character drama. You can have a little bit of fun, once in awhile.

DC has been stealing just about everything else.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I like the Greek armour look. The filter over the poster, which goes along with the posters of the other 2, kinda makes it hard to really judge what the colour scheme is going to be, but overall I like it.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Actually kind of digging the outfit, though gods know what color it's supposed to be. I figure it's going to be some metallic color, as opposed to the 'MURRICA motif it has in the comics, which I am totally fine with. Also, is that a part of her armor on her right hip, or is that her Lasso of Truth?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, not fussed, but the outfit is one of the least important things of a superhero movie, IMHO

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I actually expected a lot worse.

To keep this on topic, I wonder why Snyder and his team ditched the pants with the rumor floating around.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
What happened to the color? Where is the color? Is nothing allowed to be BRIGHT in these movies? Where's the red, white, blue, and gold? Why are the movie makers borrowing ideas from the Call of Duty color palette? Why is a movie about comic book super heroes have such washed out looking posters? WHY?!

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
I see what they did there.
Wonder Woman gets a warm gold filter, Superman gets a cold blue one, and Batman is in B&W. Nice.