SDCC 2014: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Already Announced For July 2017

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
SDCC 2014: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Already Announced For July 2017

Apparently Marvel Studios is already quite confident in their new franchise

James Gunn and Chris Pratt, the director and star of next week's new Marvel Studios movie Guardians of The Galaxy, showed up in a surprise video message at the end of the studio's (uncharacteristically uneventful) SDCC panel to announce that their feature has already landed a deal and date for a sequel: July 28, 2017.

Guardians, which features Pratt as the human leader of a group of alien outlaws drawn from obscure segments of the Marvel Comics continuity reluctantly uniting for a caper in deep space, had been considered a riskier than usual venture for the studio; which has previously stuck to well-known characters in an Earth-based setting. But the film has earned rave early reviews and is being tracked by analysts for a potentially huge opening weekend gross.

This makes Guardians of The Galaxy 2 the third film to be officially announced as part of Marvel's "Phase 3" slate, after Captain America 3 and Ant-Man. The studio has 7 remaining "untitled" slots currently claimed between now and 2019.

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014]

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Oh, so that's what the mysterious 3rd movie for 2017 was. Not supprised they're assuming the movie will be a success, everyone else is already making that assumption, and I know that most of my friends are going to be in line on Friday to watch it.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
Even better than news that there will be a second is that James Gunn will again write and direct!

I had a lot of faith in this project from the moment it was announced.
And seriously, he is one of very few talents in the industry I get excited about.

Can not wait for Friday!

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Cool, the more screen time we have for a gun wielding raccoon, the better! Seriously, I think this is the most excited I've been for a movie in a while, even more than the Avengers! I think it's because I like things that are on the crazier side, which when I think about the stuff that I really love and follow, it makes sense. I hope it does well and that it gets good reviews, because if not, I'm not sure how I will take it. With how the Lego Movie turned out though, I feel good about this one.

Is this getting released Friday in the States only, or is it getting released in multiple countries on Friday?

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
As a person who wasn't into the MCU before Iron Man, seeing a rocket raccoon on the poster of a hotly anticipated movie that already has a sequel planned for release is a really surreal feeling. It makes me tingle inside and I like it.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Malbourne said:
As a person who wasn't into the MCU before Iron Man, seeing a rocket raccoon on the poster of a hotly anticipated movie that already has a sequel planned for release is a really surreal feeling. It makes me tingle inside and I like it.
It gives a glimmer of hope that maybe we will see some more creativity. To a certain degree, it would have been interesting to see GotG 2 go against the Dawn of Justice movie. Main reason is because the headlines in my head would be funny. IT would be "Gun wielding raccoon takes down Superman and Batman" or "Superman and Batman made roadkill out of gun wielding raccoon". Either way, you would have Batman, Superman, and gun wielding raccoon either way, which is awesome. On the other hand, even if the first one does well, it wouldn't stand a chance against two icons.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The more I see of Guardians the more I worry. If AAA game companies have taught me anything, a massive hype train is an indicator the studios don't think the product is very good. Look at Dante's Inferno or Watch_Dogs. Massive hype trains and a pathetic, messy product.
I worry that's what Guardians is going to be. So horribly underwhelming! And the studio has no one to blame but themselves.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Silentpony said:
The more I see of Guardians the more I worry. If AAA game companies have taught me anything, a massive hype train is an indicator the studios don't think the product is very good. Look at Dante's Inferno or Watch_Dogs. Massive hype trains and a pathetic, messy product.
I worry that's what Guardians is going to be. So horribly underwhelming! And the studio has no one to blame but themselves.
The difference seems to be here they are already planning a sequel for the movie, where games will only start planning sequels once the see the game sold really well. Maybe because I don't watch TV much, but it doesn't seem like this Movie has been hyped much, but Marvel is hyping the movies for Phase 3, which I don't blame them with all the success they've had. This seems like a different scenario then the games being hyped well before release.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Getting ahead are they? In saying so Marvel has a better track than DC at the moment (remember the news that Green Lantern 2 was in development before the film was release?).

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Scorpid said:
A racoons gets two movies. And wonder woman is no where to be found.
She gets a glorified cameo in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Terrible Subtitles and The Lego Movie... That's SOMETHING, right?

Seriously, DC...

On topic, I can't wait for Friday. Hopefully, a sequel means they'll make some room for my favorite Marvel hero of all time: