SDCC 2014: Marvel Debuts Avengers: Age of Ultron Footage

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
SDCC 2014: Marvel Debuts Avengers: Age of Ultron Footage

Hall H attendees got first look at early footage from anticipated sequel

POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING

SDCC attendees are still grumbling that onetime ComiCon kingmakers Marvel Studios failed to bring their A-Game this year with a late start and a near-total lack of major announcements, but one thing everyone seems to agree on is that a reel of exclusive footage from the still-shooting Avengers sequel had everyone talking.

The main setpiece of what was otherwise described as a "montage" featured The Avengers (now joined by Don Cheadle as War Machine) in the midst of a post-battle celebration including a party-game whereby everyone tries to lift Thor's hammer as per the comics-lore, no one can do it except Captain America - and even he can only move it a little bit. The sequence also implied a burgeoning romantic relationship between Black Widow and Bruce Banner, and ended with the appearance of the robot villain Ultron (voice of James Spader.)

Other footage was included a tank battle, Iron Man using his special "Hulkbuster" armor to subdue The Hulk, a new uniform for Black Widow and Iron Man finding himself the last Avenger standing amid the seemingly-beaten (dead?) bodies of his allies and a broken Captain America shield.

[gallery=2904]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014]

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
THis was by far the only really intersting thing about the panel. There was barely any meat to chew for me to get Excited about Antman, and I need to actually see Guardians of the Galaxy 1 before I get psyched for a sequel.

Broken Captain America shield huh? How many times has that ever happened in the Marvel Universe? I mean it sounds like a comic taboo to do so, but it has to have happened once or twice by now, right?

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
LET'S PUT EVERY POPULAR AVENGERS TROPE IN THIS MOVIE! ALL OF THEM!

This movie better be 3 hours long, because it sound very crammed. Almost more so than Superman v. Batman v. Wonder Woman v. Cyborg v. Aquaman v. Lex Luthor..

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
DrunkenElfMage said:
THis was by far the only really intersting thing about the panel. There was barely any meat to chew for me to get Excited about Antman, and I need to actually see Guardians of the Galaxy 1 before I get psyched for a sequel.

Broken Captain America shield huh? How many times has that ever happened in the Marvel Universe? I mean it sounds like a comic taboo to do so, but it has to have happened once or twice by now, right?
Not often. It's been shattered, chipped, or dented, a total of 6 times over the last 50+ years of Marvel comics. Most recently it happened during Fear Itself, where Odin's brother, the Serpent, shatters it. Was later reforged by the Asgardians but a seam remains going from the center out, kinda Cap's version of the Liberty bell.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
War Machine eh? That brings the heroes count to 10 unless I'm forgetting one.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Observation: People hate when Batman v Superman is shoving "too many characters" into the movie - namely 1 big villain and 3 big Superhoeres. People love and admire The Avengers 2 for doing the same thing.

We all know this film is probably going to be the Robert Downey Junior show part 2 anyway.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
endtherapture said:
Observation: People hate when Batman v Superman is shoving "too many characters" into the movie - namely 1 big villain and 3 big Superhoeres. People love and admire The Avengers 2 for doing the same thing.

We all know this film is probably going to be the Robert Downey Junior show part 2 anyway.
The difference being for the most part that i can tell, is that Marvel has taken the time drip feed all of these characters to us over the last decade, and introduces very few new ones at a time.

I don't hate on DC, i didn't think Man of Steel was terrible, just not great. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were fantastic, TDKR.. well, that was one sloppy as hell mess of a film to be honest, it wasn't the worst movie ever, but i was glad when it was done with.

I thoroughly enjoy Arrow, and enjoyed the pilot for The Flash, so i'm hoping they can get some big screen time eventually.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Am I the only one somewhat annoyed that they don't release this trailer online five minutes after showing it at SDCC??

I mean... All this article is saying is "oh we saw a cool trailer" and I go "Can I see it? No? Then what am I wasting time here for"

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
So, I guess everyone's going to forget about the end of Iron Man 3? Or, possibly that whole movie? Because I was under the impression Tony Stark would be sticking to the sidelines from here on out.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
DrunkenElfMage said:
Personally, I always hated this kind of thing. Even in pro wrestling when you had a guy claiming to be the "strongest in the world," or "having an unbreakable submission hold," or whatever. You knew it was just a matter of time before it happens. And once it's happened, it's gone. Wolverine's claws being unbreakable, Thor's hammer being immovable, Cap's shield being indestructible, it's all become shorthand for "this person did the un-doable, so they're a bad ass. We don't have to do anything else."

IMO, when Odin's brother destroyed Cap's shield, it was supposed to be a sign of his might. An "OMG! He just did that!" moment. Except...it had already been done before. More than once. So what was supposed to be an impressive showing of strength, to me, came across as "Oh, okay...this thing again."

And the Marvel Cinematic Universe hasn't built up the indestructibility of the shield enough for it's destruction to have the impact that it should, IMO. Us from comic lore know, but between First Avenger, Avengers, and Winter Soldier, the most we got was a throwaway line from Howard Stark saying "it's as strong as steel with a third of the weight." We see Cap perform some impressive feats of physics & geometry with it, but none of that was every attributed to the properties of the shield itself, and more of "Cap's just good with it."

I think it'll be a wasted opportunity if they introduce the notion of the shield being indestructible in this movie, just to have it be destroyed in the same movie. Time will tell.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
endtherapture said:

There's a big difference though, all the characters in Avengers 2 (save for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch) have already been established and are known by the audience. We know their personality, their origin stories, and their relationships between each others from the other movies.

Everyone in Dawn of Justice is an unknown outside of Superman. We don't know what Batman is going to be like, we don't know how wonderwoman is going to fit in at the last 5 minutes, we really don't know how anything is going to come together.
Yep, everything is an unknown, which is why we just shouldn't judge on the two unreleased movies as much, especially when we have little idea of how the structure of the films will pan out. Wonder Woman could get 10 seconds at the end of the movie for all we know.

Blue Ranger said:
endtherapture said:

Wow, your posts are getting pathetic. You sound like a butthurt DC fanboy. The funny thing is, I'm sure most of us here are just as much a fan of DC as they are of Marvel. I know I am. I love how you conveniently leave out the part where we got to see most of the cast of Avengers in individual movies. We know their stories, leaving room for the Avengers movies to tell knew stories with those characters.
Lol pathetic haha, thanks mate, very gracious. I probably like Marvel more than Dc, I am just sick of people railing on DC when all they have released is a single film so far, a good film in my opinion. The biased media coverage towards Marvel irritates me, especially as a ton of Marvel films, such as Thor 1&2, Iron Man 2&3 and arguably even The Avengers, are sub par, summer action flicks, and not "the greatest films ever".

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Let play the waiting game, how long til those footage are uploaded online?

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
To be honest, I'm done with the whole superhero thing being milked to the bone. When Ant-Man came into play, that was when I turned into that Bill Murray meme and threw away my imaginative golf club. I'm not a troll or DC 'fanboy' so spare me any comments about me being saturated with superheroes.

I'm actually now on the level to compare films with AAA games who are being milked for all their money's worth with downloadable content. So I'll probably going to see Guardians of the Galaxy as a closure of sorts. And everything else that follows will be for me on DVD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1PYp-fsZOA

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Cpt. Slow said:
To be honest, I'm done with the whole superhero thing being milked to the bone. When Ant-Man came into play, that was when I turned into that Bill Murray meme and threw away my imaginative golf club. I'm not a troll or DC 'fanboy' so spare me any comments about me being saturated with superheroes.

I'm actually now on the level to compare films with AAA games who are being milked for all their money's worth with downloadable content. So I'll probably going to see Guardians of the Galaxy as a closure of sorts. And everything else that follows will be for me on DVD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1PYp-fsZOA
So long as they're good, who the hell cares if they're superhero movies or not? I haven't grown tired of sci-fi movies just because there have been hundreds of them since Star Wars came out, and I still love a great horror movie long after watching Psycho.

If the films were getting worse, sure, I'd get burned out too, but Captain America: The Winter Soldier was my favorite Marvel film released thus far, and Guardians of the Galaxy is getting rave reviews and looks like a super ton of fun.

I'm all for more of that. Bring on Ant-man, Doctor Strange, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, Iron Fist, Nova, the Inhumans, and Squirrel Girl. I'm ready for it.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Daaaah Whoosh said:
So, I guess everyone's going to forget about the end of Iron Man 3? Or, possibly that whole movie? Because I was under the impression Tony Stark would be sticking to the sidelines from here on out.
The very last line from Iron Man 3 (not counting the stingers) is "I am Iron Man". Why would anyone take that to mean he's giving up being Iron Man?

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
tdylan said:
And the Marvel Cinematic Universe hasn't built up the indestructibility of the shield enough for it's destruction to have the impact that it should, IMO. Us from comic lore know, but between First Avenger, Avengers, and Winter Soldier, the most we got was a throwaway line from Howard Stark saying "it's as strong as steel with a third of the weight." We see Cap perform some impressive feats of physics & geometry with it, but none of that was every attributed to the properties of the shield itself, and more of "Cap's just good with it."

I think it'll be a wasted opportunity if they introduce the notion of the shield being indestructible in this movie, just to have it be destroyed in the same movie. Time will tell.
Well, they did show it withstanding (and even actively repelling) a hefty blow from Mjolnir, so there's that.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Loop Stricken said:
Well, they did show it withstanding (and even actively repelling) a hefty blow from Mjolnir, so there's that.
Granted, but so did Stark's armor. He took several hits from Thor's hammer, and only had what, some scratches? The freaking propeller from the Helicarrier did more damage to Stark's Armor than blows from Mjolnir did, so simply seeing the shield take a blow from the hammer doesn't necessarily make one think "that shield must have some metaphysical properties."

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I hate this part of a lot of these conventions where they show some sizzle reel to the press but not to the public, so all we get are articles from various sources explaining what the footage was about.