SDCC 2014: Outlander Title Sequence Released by STARZ

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
SDCC 2014: Outlander Title Sequence Released by STARZ

The new series from Battlestar Galactica executive producer Ronald D. Moore will feature a World War II combat nurse swept back in time to 1743.

Starz has released the full opening sequence and title song of their upcoming series Outlander, set to premier on Aug. 9 at 9 p.m. The series, centered around combat nurse Claire Randall and her mysterious teleportation from 1945 to the Scottish Highlands of 1743, reunites members of the Battlestar Galactica creative team, namely executive producer Ronald D. Moore and composer Bear McCreary.

McCreary's work can be heard in the intro's opening title track, "Skye Boat Song." The intro was first shown to fans at the Comic-Con world premier screening of Outlander on Friday night. Among the show's stars are Caitriona Balfe, Sam Heughan and Tobias Menzies. The new show is based on a best-selling book series by Diana Gabaldon.

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014]

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Odd premise that looks like it's lining up to bandwagon on some audience I'm clearly not part of... Maybe if it seemed like there was some grander concept of mysticism and fantasy I'd be more interested?

I mean really, the premise is basically, what, Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman meets Land of the Lost? Am I right or wrong?

Aug 31, 2011
Kyogissun said:
Odd premise that looks like it's lining up to bandwagon on some audience I'm clearly not part of... Maybe if it seemed like there was some grander concept of mysticism and fantasy I'd be more interested?

I mean really, the premise is basically, what, Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman meets Land of the Lost? Am I right or wrong?
Fairly wrong, if they stick to the source material. Sure, there's the whole 'nurse from 1940's Britain goes back in time' thing, but it never gets dopey and basically addresses that, given the lack of medical supplies at the time, training and knowledge didn't necessarily help much. Kind of depended on if leeches were the go-to cure for blood loss or not.

And the first two books or so are set during the Jacobite risings and the attempt to put Bonnie Prince Charlie on the Scottish throne. And according to the producer (who may very well be lying), they're going to attempt to stay close to the series. So, for the initial season, romance and English repression, and some small skirmishes with the redcoats (maybe they'll get to the full-blown war, who knows). The series is pretty violent, but well-researched.

That said, yeah, it's definitely a show aimed more at women. But if they do stick to the material, it's not going to be anything like Grey's Anatomy, or whatever women are supposed to enjoy. *shudder*

Yes, I am a fan. I've been reading the series for 12 years, since I was a teenager. Don't ruin my fangirl moment!