Sean Conner's Top 5 Games of 2011

Conner42

Jul 29, 2009
2011 was....a surprisingly good year for games. For what it was worth, I'd say 2011 turned out to be much better than 2010, but then again, I don't really remember 2010. The only game I can remember coming out was Amnesia: The Dark Descent, because that game really scared the crap out of me. Well, anyways, enough looking at the further past, let's look at the more recent past. A lot of people's favorite games are probably not going to make it on here, and it's probably because I haven't played the game yet, and if you're wondering where Skyrim is at, yes, I have played that game, yes it was good, it just didn't quite make it on here.

Anyways, Number 5 please!

The Number 5 Game of the Year for 2011 - Star Wars: The Old Republic

I was actually lucky enough to be able to play the beta for this game, and I really fell in love with it. It's seriously one of the best things to happen to Star Wars in a long time. While it doesn't reinvent the MMO, it does do new things that catch my attention and will hold it a little longer than your other MMOs. The voice acting helps break up the monotony of other MMOs and I can understand what it is I'm suppose to be doing. While the quests are you're standard MMO with your fetch quests and more fetch quests, what really stands out are the special quests you can take on in a group. Where it all involves everybody getting involved in the conversation and objectives of kicking ass! It's enough to make it on my top 5.

The Number 4 Game of the Year for 2011 - Bulletstorm

In an age where your modern realistic shooters are taking over the market, Bulletstorm goes in a breath of fresh air direction with fun to use weapons, gory combat, and balls to the wall action. This game knows what fun is, and it's not afraid to be that way. With explosions, controllable snipers, and mini guns that tear enemies apart, it honestly makes it the best First Person Shooter of 2011. It just delivers on the action!

The Number 3 Game of the Year for 2011 - Portal 2

Easily one of the most hyped games for 2011, it just worked. With a bold direction in the story and satisfying puzzles to complete, it was great. Also, the ending was a bit of a tear jerker.....not really. Probably the closest I ever came to crying, but than I went back and did manly things! With great characters and a funny sense of humor, it's really hard not to like this game. For a sequel, it did all the things right that it needed to do. Just take what was great with the first game and expand upon it. The game adds just enough to justify a sequel. It also puts a nice closure to the game, unless they make another one, but to be honest, I'm not sure if anyone would mind that happening. But, eventually, they're going to need to get the new Half-Life game out eventually!

The Number 2 Game of the Year for 2011 - The Legends of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Ok, I'm probably in the minority of thinking that this game was that good, especially after Yahtzee's review, but I don't care. The general gist of why I liked this game so much is because the motion controls actually added on to the experience and it actually made me appreciate it. Yea, it's not the best Zelda game, but with what the game does, it gets it right! Flying around is fun, skydiving might be my favorite thing to do in this game, and the motion controls just work. Aside from the nice motion controls, it's pretty much your standard Zelda game. I've heard some people say that this is it's biggest departure from Zelda's regular formula, but I'm not sure if I buy that. It's still Zelda, and you still do pretty much everything you did in all the other Zelda games, but it's done so well, it was easily overlooked by me, and I'm sure by a lot of other people. Some people might even say it's the best Zelda game in the series. Exaggerating, probably. But the game has been getting a lot of well deserved attention and it's easily on of the most enjoyable games this year.

And now....for my game of the year.....

The Game of the Year - Batman: Arkham City
If you know me in real life, you'll know that I have some sort of obsession with Batman. Well, let me tell, these Batman games are what made me into the Batman fan I am today. Not even the Dark Knight was able to turn me into that, and I love that movie! Arkham City pretty much does everything right in this game. The combat is as fluent as ever, with pretty much the combat from the first game, but tweaked on enough to be just a little better than the last game. Also, the sandbox world feels really good as well. It's big enough to feel big, but small enough that it's easy to get around in. Every part in the city feels organic. The game also has an impressive story as well. With kick-ass action, an open world sandbox that works with this game, and just Batman-ing people, it's just pure fun and it definitely deserves my game of the year!

Happy New Year!

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
A good list, but you barely have more than a couple sentances for each game.

This list needs to be elaborated on -badly.

darth jacen

Sith Reviewer
Jul 15, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
A good list, but you barely have more than a couple sentances for each game.

This list needs to be elaborated on -badly.
This and you may also want to scale down the pictures a bit, they seem a little too big for the small amount of text. Try [*IMG height=300 width=200]Put URL here[*/IMG] without the *s