Season 2 of Shield Hero

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Oh good, I was looking for that special something that could fill my slot for "harem slavery" in my entertainment schedule.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, with what's coming down the pipe, "Stockholm syndrome slave harem" is positively wholesome.

2021's gonna be rough on the otaku anime front

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I mean, with what's coming down the pipe, "Stockholm syndrome slave harem" is positively wholesome.
So I wasn't wrong for dropping this series after the first few episodes. Because Jesus, this show. Though to be honest, my main grievance was the main character going from awkward geek to Guts within the span of a minute due to false rape allegations. And that with a totally straight face.

Last edited:

Izanagi009

Legacy
May 7, 2020
Country
United States
I endured 13 episodes of this crap show out of a feeling of obligation to critical analysis but man this show, it feels so indulgent in a self justifying revenge fantasy.

From what i remember of the show, the show felt like it had no real world building or character development outside of justifying Naofumi's actions. It also just felt like relationship red flag simulator with Raphtalia. Apparently, though
the queen is now backing Naofumi
so now it's just a regular self gratification show

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
So I wasn't wrong for dropping this series after the first few episodes. Because Jesus, this show. Though to be honest, my main grievance was the main character going from awkward geek to Guts without the span of a minute due to false rape allegations. And that with a totally straight face.
It's not Shield Hero specifically I was talking about, that one merely continues to be "how to be a good slave master". There's a chance it could stop being that, but we're over a dozen books in so...

Redo of Healer is getting a production anime.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean it was a really goofy over-the-top grimdark show trying really hard not to be every furry fantasy game ever. Some of the characters were fun, but from my understanding its really sorta rushed. Like Casual said the main dude went from starry-eyed youngster in a new world to a jaded, cynical hardass bastard over the course of 2 episodes. But in the manga apparently its implied its been months, and they just skipped all that part.
I'll probably give it a watch when the dub comes out - say what you will about the intended text being lost in translation, sometime that's good and they curb some of the more...distasteful aspects of Japanese culture.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
I read through the manga in a rush, I think I stopped a little after the big turtle arc. It actually gets better, as all things do when you sink your time into them...
I especially like the battle-pope though! that was dope. Is it in the first or second season? I haven't watched it past episode 2.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I read through the manga in a rush, I think I stopped a little after the big turtle arc. It actually gets better, as all things do when you sink your time into them...
Meh, I'm 6 episodes in and I'd rather it got good now.
I especially like the battle-pope though! that was dope.
Don't both looking that up tho. It's not dope. Unless you're into crappy spoofs on dark and edgy 90's comics that think playing all those tropes straight but pointing out that you're doing them is clever satire.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Oh good, I was looking for that special something that could fill my slot for "harem slavery" in my entertainment schedule.
Remember kids, slavery is good when it's a child that you bought for the express purpose of training her to become a killer, as long as you say a good thing to her to make her develop romantic feelings for you.

It's also good when you sell a woman to a rapist, murdering ugly bastard of a king. It's a fitting punishment for a woman that threw false rape allegations at you.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Remember kids, slavery is good when it's a child that you bought for the express purpose of training her to become a killer, as long as you say a good thing to her to make her develop romantic feelings for you.

It's also good when you sell a woman to a rapist, murdering ugly bastard of a king. It's a fitting punishment for a woman that threw false rape allegations at you.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I must've stopped watching before he said that good thing.

Thank god I stopped watching before this happened.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'll be honest, if this anime is based on the same kind of ass-backwards gritty fantasy bullshit as Game of Thrones - may the Gods of Creativity barbecue its soul - then I'd be shocked if that sort of thing DIDN'T happen.

Still makes this show sound stupid and gross though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

So that's nice. I don't watch too many anime, but Shield Hero is one that I really enjoyed a lot. Nice to see it's getting more content.
Glad to see you enjoy it. I'll try to make room for that one anime where the dude turns into a slime. I might see it on thursday, because I think I'm off that day.

For those that don't like shield hero, just read the fanfic crossover with Yakuza. you'll get an actual good story out of it. Especially the actual Yakuza fans.

Last edited:

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I feel like I have to add my standard anime disclaimer to this thread for fairness: it's okay to like trash.
If you like Shield Hero for whatever reason, good on you. Go enjoy your trash. I like *plenty* of other trash (oh, Vampire Hunter D, your light novels are absolute garbage, how I love thee, thank god your two OAVs came out before the height of the internet fandoms)

Enjoy your trash like a happy little raccoon, @happyninja42

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I feel like I have to add my standard anime disclaimer to this thread for fairness: it's okay to like trash.
If you like Shield Hero for whatever reason, good on you. Go enjoy your trash. I like *plenty* of other trash (oh, Vampire Hunter D, your light novels are absolute garbage, how I love thee, thank god your two OAVs came out before the height of the internet fandoms)

Enjoy your trash like a happy little raccoon, @happyninja42
The first Vampire Hunter D OVA is just alright. It's just another gore fest from the 80s really. Bloodlust on the other hand is great. There is going to be a third movie, but they're taking it in a bit of a different direction.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Could be worse. He could be fucking them too. And no, that's not from a hentai.
I applaud your willpower, I dropped it after episode 2.
I gave it that much because the first episode sort of felt like it was setting up a villain protagonist, which is moderately interesting in the genre. I actually liked how he was coercing merchants into trading with him by siccing those balloon creatures on them. That was kind of fun. But nah, next 4-5 episodes try so hard to right that ship I got whiplash from it. It becomes so boringly bog standard so quick.
Trash is fine. I can have tons of tolerance for trashy ... if it at least does something different and interesting.Give me a striking visual style. An fun and/or original premise. Or being as crass as you possibly can. For example, I liked Panty & Stocking + Garterbelt, which is breathtakingly more trashy in a single episode than all I've seen of Shield Hero combined.