Season 2 of Shield Hero

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I gave it that much because the first episode sort of felt like it was setting up a villain protagonist, which is moderately interesting in the genre. I actually liked how he was coercing merchants into trading with him by siccing those balloon creatures on them. That was kind of fun. But nah, next 4-5 episodes try so hard to right that ship I got whiplash from it. It becomes so boringly bog standard so quick.
I pretty much checked out as soon as the guy flipped on a dime when accused of rape, and became the most cynical hard-ass out of freaking nowhere. And I mean mere fucking seconds, it was ridiculous. Then we have him buying a slave, which at first I thought him acting like a shit was him putting on an act for the merchant to show how legit he was so he could buy the girl's freedom, and that from there some sort of friendship would grow. But no, he was actually being a shit, acting like nobody knows pain like he does because of a rape charge, and forcing this frightened child that he BOUGHT to fight monsters. It was so indulgent in its incel revenge fantasy within the first two episodes, Legend of the Overfiend felt less icky.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For example, I liked Panty & Stocking + Garterbelt, which is breathtakingly more trashy in a single episode than all I've seen of Shield Hero combined.
  1. The show was made by former Ginax, now Studio Trigger employees. There's the definition of crazy trash. See the spiritual successor kill la kill.
  2. Before making the show, they either got high or drunk during Christmas party, according to themselves.
  3. They told the English voice actors to go nuts and added even more swearing and ridiculous things to say.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
. It was so indulgent in its incel revenge fantasy within the first two episodes, Legend of the Overfiend felt less icky.
I can't help but feel you're projecting with the whole incel thing. I get it, don't get me wrong. You are uncomfortable with it. I understand and respect that. From what I heard, the manga explores this a bit better, but it's pretty apparent in that version and I'm assuming the anime, you're not supposed to see him completely in the right. If you think that's bad, I hope you enjoy and like Dimension W. It supports domestic abuse! Sounds like fun, don't it?

Or how about an anime that justifies mind wiping the human race back to the Stone age, because aliens are afraid that the humans that don't even know they exist, will blow them up or kill them?

Or better yet how about anime that finds abusing a 12-year-old boy is funny in the first quarter of the show. The crew of Gekko State can fuck themselves with that one. Bonus points for anyone that can figure out what I just described.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Or better yet how about anime that finds abusing a 12-year-old boy is funny in the first quarter of the show. the crew of Gekko State can fuck themselves with that one. Bonus points for anyone that can figure out what I just described,q
Eureka Seven.

Now gimme cookie.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I can't help but feel you're projecting with the whole incel thing. I get it, don't get me wrong. You are uncomfortable with it. I understand and respect that. From what I heard, the manga explores this a bit better, but it's pretty apparent in that version and I'm assuming the anime, you're not supposed to see him completely in the right. If you think that's bad, I hope you enjoy and like Dimension W. It supports domestic abuse! Sounds like fun, don't it?
It wasn't earned though. Guts being a ruthless bastard in Berserk feels earned, because of all the hardship he went through throughout his life, culminating in the Eclipse. Even before we know this there's the mystery of why he is how he is, and that if he's this brutal he must've seen some shit. Shield Hero is obviously going for a similar character, but it wants it instantly and because of a false rape charge, indictating that this event is so evil and terrible that it legitimizes the protagonist's turn to ruthlessness in the span of seconds. 'Woman pretend to like him, but then woman tricked him, and then accused him of rape; the worse thing to happen to man. But he'll show her, he'll show ALL OF THEM!' That's were the whole incel revenge fantasy shone through for me.

Or better yet how about anime that finds abusing a 12-year-old boy is funny in the first quarter of the show. the crew of Gekko State can fuck themselves with that one. Bonus points for anyone that can figure out what I just described,q
Eureka Seven; the desperately wants to be Cowboy Bebop/Evangelion show.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eureka Seven; the desperately wants to be Cowboy Bebop/Evangelion show.
I didn't know what that show was trying to be when seeing it in high school. It looks like a bad case of evangelion, cowboy bebop, and outlaw star. And I hate evangelion with a passion. I will honestly take the second half of eureka 7 over evangelion, but you still have to go a lot of bull crap in order to like Gekko State. A majority of them weren't worth it. Gene Starwind and Spike Spiegel are a billion times more the man than Holland will ever be. They are a boy scout and saint respectively compared to him.

Anyone want to go for double on the first option I was talking about with the aliens and stuff?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Aah okay. I don't really know any stone age anime really.
I meant mentally to the stone age. The ova is a post-apocalyptic anime. There's no nuclear war, but the aliens literally took humanity and devolved them back to the Stone age in mind. You'll see people in modern day clothing, for the '90s, acting like cavemen. With only a few exceptions here and there.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
I feel like I have to add my standard anime disclaimer to this thread for fairness: it's okay to like trash.
If you like Shield Hero for whatever reason, good on you. Go enjoy your trash. I like *plenty* of other trash (oh, Vampire Hunter D, your light novels are absolute garbage, how I love thee, thank god your two OAVs came out before the height of the internet fandoms)

Enjoy your trash like a happy little raccoon, @happyninja42
Killing Bites is trash I liked, I don't judge

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It wasn't earned though. Guts being a ruthless bastard in Berserk feels earned, because of all the hardship he went through throughout his life, culminating in the Eclipse. Even before we know this there's the mystery of why he is how he is, and that if he's this brutal he must've seen some shit. Shield Hero is obviously going for a similar character, but it wants it instantly and because of a false rape charge, indictating that this event is so evil and terrible that it legitimizes the protagonist's turn to ruthlessness in the span of seconds. 'Woman pretend to like him, but then woman tricked him, and then accused him of rape; the worse thing to happen to man. But he'll show her, he'll show ALL OF THEM!' That's were the whole incel revenge fantasy shone through for me.
I can see where you're coming from:

Unintentionally Unsympathetic: Naofumi in the beginning. He may have gotten a raw deal, he may have had to make some grey choices in order to survive, but the way he trains Raphtalia in the early days of their relationship would make him a villain if he wasn't the main character. Especially since the main reason he purchased her wasn't due to her being all he could afford but more so that he could have a surrogate to take out his anger against Myne on, even hoping she gets hurt in the course of his ownership of her. There's also the fact that by purchasing Raphtalia, he's essentially doing the exact same thing the king did to him, being forced to fight against one's own will.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The first Vampire Hunter D OVA is just alright. It's just another gore fest from the 80s really. Bloodlust on the other hand is great. There is going to be a third movie, but they're taking it in a bit of a different direction.
Yeah, Bloodlust was pretty fantastic. And they only had to edit out a rape, a gang rape, give the damsel character a name, and rewrite the third act entirely.

Demon Deathchase was a *lot*. There's a reason I call those novels, which I love, absolute trash.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, Bloodlust was pretty fantastic. And they only had to edit out a rape, a gang rape, give the damsel character a name, and rewrite the third act entirely.

Demon Deathchase was a *lot*. There's a reason I call those novels, which I love, absolute trash.
I know about it. I vaugely remeber trying to read one of the light novels once in high school. I was so freaking bored by it, that I went right back to watching Bloodlust.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I know about it. I vaugely remeber trying to read one of the light novels once in high school. I was so freaking bored by it, that I went right back to watching Bloodlust.
The first few are really into the "this is D and he's just so pretty and mysterious and cool and amazing watch him do this angsty mysterious cool thing while looking pretty". They get better about that specific problem as the series goes on.

The problem it never quite shakes is gratuitous world-building: I'm really big into world building, and will absolutely be down to read a 3 page description of how you need this very specific, null-oder, filtered-air, anti-parasite sleeping bag to give you a chance to Not Die if you're ever stuck outside over-night without shelter, which is not actually a thing that happens to anybody in that or any other book.

But yeah, if you're there for pretty angsty vampire fights, it can be a hard sell.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Only thing I want to see out of this is the scythe user from another server, but then again... his animation will probably be gimped so, I guess I don't care about this season, yay.