Season 3 of Overwatch is Ending Next Week

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Season 3 of Overwatch is Ending Next Week

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1382/1382625.jpgSeason 3 of Overwatch is ending next week, and Blizzard has announced the rewards you'll receive once it does.

If you're playing in Season 3 of Overwatch's Competitive Play, your time to move up the ranks is drawing to a close next week. Blizzard has announced that Season 3 will end on Tuesday, February 21 at 7 PM ET. One week later, on February 28 at 7 PM ET, Season 4 will kick off.

Blizzard's announcement [https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753177912#1] also includes the rewards that you'll receive at the end of Season 3. If you finished your placement matches, you'll receive a special spray and player icon automatically upon logging in to your account the first time after the end of the season. If you were inside the top 500 players on your platform at any time during the season, you'll also get an extra player icon and an animated spray.

Along with those rewards, you'll also get Competitive Points based on the maximum Skill Ranking you achieved during the season. Here's the list of point rewards:

SR 1-1499 (Bronze): 100 CP
SR 1500-1999 (Silver): 200 CP
SR 2000-2499 (Gold): 400 CP
SR 2500-2999 (Platinum): 800 CP
SR 3000-3499 (Diamond): 1200 CP
SR 3500-3999 (Master): 2000 CP
SR 4000-5000 (Grandmaster): 3000 CP

Blizzard says it plans to release more information about Season 4 "in the coming weeks," which should be soon, since the start is only two weeks away.

[gallery=6935]

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Dang, well there go my hopes of reaching Platinum before the end of the season. Man this game is so weird in competitive mode. I've played way better this season than in the last, the stats are pretty clear on that. Yet my ranking is a couple hundred points lower. What's up Blizzard? Did I just get unlucky?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Dang, well there go my hopes of reaching Platinum before the end of the season. Man this game is so weird in competitive mode. I've played way better this season than in the last, the stats are pretty clear on that. Yet my ranking is a couple hundred points lower. What's up Blizzard? Did I just get unlucky?
They wanted to shake up the distributions because the significant majority of players were in plat/diamond. While bronze/silver/gold were almost empty. This lead to huge skill discrepancies in matches which, arguably, made the game not fun for a lot of players.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Rednog said:
They wanted to shake up the distributions because the significant majority of players were in plat/diamond. While bronze/silver/gold were almost empty. This lead to huge skill discrepancies in matches which, arguably, made the game not fun for a lot of players.
Hm, well I've noticed that during this season that I've had a lot less close matches and a lot more matches that were either total domination or utter annihilation. Might be an unintended side-effect of that re-destribution, but I'm not a fan of it.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
This season was a dumpster fire in more than one way and I'm glad to see it go, almost makes me nostalgic for Season 1.

Almost.

Hopefully we'll get an announcement soon about how they're going to heavily alter or nuke the current SR and MMR system. If they don't I'm just sitting out S4, much like I did this season after the first week.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Well I guess it's time for me to nut up and play the dame placement matches this weekend. No way in hell I was going to try and get some really high ranking beforehand as I'd rather not have to deal with the bullshit ranking system more than I have to. Hell, if I can help it I'd rather not play against other players for longer than I have to most times I'm on.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Fijiman said:
Well I guess it's time for me to nut up and play the dame placement matches this weekend. No way in hell I was going to try and get some really high ranking beforehand as I'd rather not have to deal with the bullshit ranking system more than I have to. Hell, if I can help it I'd rather not play against other players for longer than I have to most times I'm on.
My thinking is the spray and icon aren't really worth anything. Even the "golden colored gun textures" are kind of lame when general skins have golden colors here and there

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Dendio said:
Fijiman said:
My thinking is the spray and icon aren't really worth anything. Even the "golden colored gun textures" are kind of lame when general skins have golden colors here and there
I kinda agree. Many of the skins have better looking weapon colors as part of the skin, with nice accented highlights and whatnot. And sticking a gold texture over top of some of them can look really tacky.

Anyways, (and this is more relevant to Fijiman, above), if you've left it this late to play your placement matches, and you want a golden weapon, then you're going to have to hope to be placed in Grandmasters, since that's the only rank that gives you 3k competitive points without having to do anything else.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Fijiman said:
You're going to end up in a dumpster fire. I waited like 2-3 weeks from the start of the season to do my placement matches and the que per match was like 15-20 minutes per game. The game desperately tries to match placement people with other people doing placements.And it doesn't help that if you played ranked before and were diamond or higher your hidden SR has completely bottomed out.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Cowabungaa said:
Almost made gold this time (1970) after the placements knocked 400 sr off me to start me off as bronze at 1250.

Then a friend I quite clearly told I was afk started a match anyway, costing me 60 sr when I was booted for inactivity, and then I got my usual roller coaster ride of bad matches and dps only team mates.

Edit:

In related news (I main support) I stumbled across These [http://kevinjaystanton.bigcartel.com/product/need-healing-preorder] and I SO want one.

(especially for the Genji who whined I wasn't healing him when he refused to stay in LOS to me, and expected me to abandon the rest of the team just for him)

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Dendio said:
IceForce said:
Rednog said:
Oh I agree that the gold gun skin and a spray are not worth all the trouble of playing ranked for an extended period of time, which again is why I hadn't even bothered until now. And I entirely expect it to be terrible as that's what it was like last season as well. The only reason I'm even going to bother is so that, after like four or five more seasons, I can maybe buy just one gold gun, or have the purple credits available just in case they ever decide to have another use for the things aside from gold guns.