- Nov 8, 2007
I'm glad that the man has the intention of doing good, and that is a great place to start. But it really isn't advisable for him to try doing it the way he is doing. His actions could have gotten people seriously injured; good intentions or not, he may be doing far more harm than good.draythefingerless said:maybe i didnt express the exact point of what i was trying to say. this man is trying to do good. now wether or not you think he should do this is irrelevant. its more than honorable for someone to try and help and defend people from undeserved crimes against them.maninahat said:1. No, because the woman wasn't carrying it with the express intention of looking for people to use it on. If someone attacked her and she had to use it, she would be using it in self defence. If she purposely went looking for people to use it on, she would be committing assault. The key is in people taking "reasonable action". The pepper spray is reasonable self defence if you are attacked and can't get away or rely on the police to get there in time. Looking for and running into fights to use the pepper spray isn't.draythefingerless said:to the people talking about the pepper spray and the taking weapons looking for fights....
1. so a woman who carries a pepper spray in her bag is a criminal offense?
2. cops stroll the night looking for trouble too. thats their job. to ensure they are safeguarding everyone. thats what this guy was doing. going thru the night, hoping he might stop any ongoing crime. looking to start a fight and looking for a fight to stop it are two different things.
2. he even avoided touching people in that fight. all he did was separate them(like normal thoughtful good hearted people do when they see a fight) and he used the pepper spray in his own defense.
2. Cops perform that duty in an official capacity, which makes them accountable (don't laugh), impartial and trained for the task. Trying to do their job is as advisable as attempting to perform surgery in the place of doctors. I'm surprised no one got seriously hurt, with all the blinded people wandering around on the roads.
3. As far as I can tell, he had the pepper spray out almost immediately, and it is hard to tell what he did to seperate the fight in the first place. It seems that the ladies were angry at him for using the pepper spray in the first place.
It isn't that clear to me at all, as I said before. The only thing that is clear is that he tried to break up a "fight", someone nearly got ran over, the hero got hit with shoes and rocks, and lots of people ended up with pepper spray in the face. A lot of that is a direct consequence of him getting involved.yes he is looking for crimes, but he clearly does not go in spraying everyone mindlessly. he was asking for 911, he was telling them to get away from the people they were beating, etc etc.
They are comparable in the sense that they are both roles in which there is a great deal of responsibility, and where human lives are at great risk. The average idiot might not be able to use a scalpel with great skill yet still have the capacity to shoot down a crook, but that is a lot of responsibility to entrust upon the idiot. I'd rather entrust that upon a trained professional - and if one isn't around, I don't think "anyone will do" when it comes to life or death situations. What would have happened if the hero hadn't ran in to save the day? No idea, because our only frame of reference is shakey cam footage which doesn't capture who was fighting, how it was started, and how it may have ended.FINALLY, do not compare the work of cops to the work of surgeons. surgeons do a job you need years of skill and learning to perform. cops dont. to quote sth someone else said, a bystander saved a ton of people from a robbey by shooting the robbers with a concealed weapon he carried. he just did the cops job. and so do many people day by day. its not surgery.
That is the issue I take with this super hero - I think he is a jerk, not because of his good intentions, but because of the recklessness of his actions. He apparently never thought to himself "I might get someone hurt, perhaps I should reconsider running into fights without context or strategy."