Seattle "Superhero" Arrested For Pepper Spray Assault

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
JoesshittyOs said:
It's fucking ridiculous how you assume that these police officers need to act like superman all by themselves and just know who's at fault.
And it's fucking ridiculous that you didn't even watch the video and feel the need to comment definitively on it. If you had watched the video, you'd know none of what you just said applies to what happened. I'm done with this conversation. Go ahead and think the Seattle police are there to protect you, because they are only going to find ways to backstab you if you ever need them.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Fodor is scheduled to appear in court tomorrow, and if convicted faces "up to a year in jail and a $5,000 fine."

IM SORRY ONE YEAR!????
For pepper spraying people...drug dealers get LESS! What the hell is this....and it did look like he went to break up a fight....the justice system is so messed up

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Signa said:
JoesshittyOs said:
It's fucking ridiculous how you assume that these police officers need to act like superman all by themselves and just know who's at fault.
And it's fucking ridiculous that you didn't even watch the video and feel the need to comment definitively on it. If you had watched the video, you'd know none of what you just said applies to what happened. I'm done with this conversation. Go ahead and think the Seattle police are there to protect you, because they are only going to find ways to backstab you if you ever need them.
Yeah. Way to just back out of the argument once I point of how flawed your view is. I watched the video. 8/10 at best.

So you're honestly trying to tell me when I go to Seattle, there will be a bustle of Police officers waiting to try to betray me like some 70s cartoon villain? That for some reason they are actively searching for ways to do the complete opposite of what their job is?

Oh God, you are just brimming with intelligence, aren't you?

You represent a society that has been completely brainwashed by bad television.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Stryc9 said:
The truth is I think the cops are getting a little sick of his shit and finally decided to take him down a couple of pegs. He's been running around downtown Seattle since 2010 putting himself in situations where he doesn't belong and potentially putting himself in danger of being seriously injured or killed if things got far enough out of hand. The police department have said many times before they'd prefer that he just call 911 and report what he sees instead if injecting himself into the situation and making it worse.

He's lucky he hasn't been been the target of police a lot more often as he dresses like a twat, carries a cattle prod and pepper spray and his two 'sidekicks' dress in street clothes and black ski masks.

The video that is embedded into the clip is from a local camera crew that was following him at the time and is not affiliated with any local news network so there's no telling how much was edited out of that video before it was released to the public.
They called 911.
They called 911 when breaking up the fight.
They called 911 after someone was hit by a car.
They called 911 when they were being assaulted.

The police didn't come the first time they called.
The police didn't come the second time they called.
The police didn't come the third time they called.
The police finally showed up the last time, 15+ minutes after the first call.

The police are saying, essentially, that you need to die before they'll bother showing up.

Well, that, or peacefully protest. They won't actually try and stop someone from killing you, but they'll damn well make sure you don't spend the night in a park.

----------

JoesshittyOs said:
Signa said:
JoesshittyOs said:
Yeah. Way to just back out of the argument once I point of how flawed your view is. I watched the video. 8/10 at best.

So you're honestly trying to tell me when I go to Seattle, there will be a bustle of Police officers waiting to try to betray me like some 70s cartoon villain? That for some reason they are actively searching for ways to do the complete opposite of what their job is?

Oh God, you are just brimming with intelligence, aren't you?

You represent a society that has been completely brainwashed by bad television.
My car was broken into yesterday. The cops showed up. They aren't going to actually do anything. There's no investigation. No follow-up.

I've been told by a cop that they don't actually investigate personal property theft now; they only investigate theft if your business was broken into.

So, yeah. The cops don't actually do any of the things they're supposed to be doing. Had they been patrolling here at night, like they're supposed to, perhaps I wouldn't be shelling out a shitload of money to have my car fixed.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
RvLeshrac said:
...but they'll damn well make sure you don't spend the night in a park.
If you're referring to the same story I heard, it was because by allowing the Occupy Wallstreet protesters to camp in the park, they would then have to allow the WBC to camp there too. Ground rules need to be set so that the ones who wish to abuse the system can't. The Mayor actually invited the protesters onto city hall grounds for overnight, and yet that wasn't good enough.

Chaos Inverse

Apr 1, 2010
Venats said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
We always complain that there is no good in people. When you see the video of the man getting his ass kicked, you look around at the bystanders and ask "why the hell aren't they doing something."

Now someone does, and you jump down his throat. Sad.
People justify their own inaction by saying that there is no good in people, but when someone acts, when someone shows that there is good in people, it jeopardizes the justification of the many for their own inaction, inadequacy, and failures.

Its standard ego self-defense.

"Why should I do it if no one else will do it?"
And if someone does it...
"Look at him showing off, what a fool."
This. I mean seriously, I went through most of a page of people insulting the guy for trying to do something good before I saw anyone say something close to "at least he tried" or "he didn't let it just happen". Yeah, it's a crazy idea, but with as much crazy shit happening in the world, at least he is doing crazy shit to try and help people.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Signa said:
RvLeshrac said:
If you're referring to the same story I heard, it was because by allowing the Occupy Wallstreet protesters to camp in the park, they would then have to allow the WBC to camp there too. Ground rules need to be set so that the ones who wish to abuse the system can't. The Mayor actually invited the protesters onto city hall grounds for overnight, and yet that wasn't good enough.
Yeah, that's pretty much complete bullshit. No locality has ever prevented the WBC from doing anything protest-related. I can't think of anyone intelligent who argues that they don't have a right to do what they do. The First Amendment is sacred, it seems, except when it comes to using public land for the public good.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
RvLeshrac said:
Signa said:
RvLeshrac said:
Yeah, that's pretty much complete bullshit. No locality has ever prevented the WBC from doing anything protest-related. I can't think of anyone intelligent who argues that they don't have a right to do what they do. The First Amendment is sacred, it seems, except when it comes to using public land for the public good.
The way it was conveyed to me (completely second hand BTW, so don't take this as an argument) was that the act of camping in a park was separate from the actual protest. So if that's the case, the First Amendment is irrelevant. That's why the WBC has been allowed to protest, but they always do it within the letter of the law (They are all lawyers after all). What I was told was that none of the protesters were told to GTFO, just that they couldn't camp in the park. It pisses me off because I think it makes the protesters look like a bunch of spoiled brats instead of the rational, but pissed off people that they are.

But maybe that's all wrong. I never even heard of the issue until my friend explained it. We might even be talking about different cities, I don't know. I know some other cities have behaved rather poorly in handling the protesters.

Chaos Inverse

Apr 1, 2010
Akalabeth said:
Chaos Inverse said:
Venats said:
We always complain that there is no good in people. When you see the video of the man getting his ass kicked, you look around at the bystanders and ask "why the hell aren't they doing something."

People justify their own inaction by saying that there is no good in people, but when someone acts, when someone shows that there is good in people, it jeopardizes the justification of the many for their own inaction, inadequacy, and failures.

This. I mean seriously, I went through most of a page of people insulting the guy for trying to do something good before I saw anyone say something close to "at least he tried" or "he didn't let it just happen". Yeah, it's a crazy idea, but with as much crazy shit happening in the world, at least he is doing crazy shit to try and help people.
If he wants to do something crazy why not join a legitimate organization like the police force to help people in a legal manner.

So some people were scuffling, who cares. People get a bit drunk and then they scuffle, it happens. It wasn't like 4 guys kicking the shit out of one guy. Or some woman being sexually assaulted. From the video I don't see the guy as helping people I see him as getting involved in other people's business. If a couple people want to fight it out that's their business.
I can agree with that(though it's doubtful he'll ever be hired now). But with so many people there, there is no telling if it would have escalated or not, and seeing as how someone tried to pull a hit and run I think it would have. And since I don't live there I can't tell how police are in that town, maybe he just doesn't believe they are effective without help from citizens. imo anyway.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
RvLeshrac said:
Stryc9 said:
*Snippity*
They called 911.
They called 911 when breaking up the fight.
They called 911 after someone was hit by a car.
They called 911 when they were being assaulted.

The police didn't come the first time they called.
The police didn't come the second time they called.
The police didn't come the third time they called.
The police finally showed up the last time, 15+ minutes after the first call.

The police are saying, essentially, that you need to die before they'll bother showing up.

Well, that, or peacefully protest. They won't actually try and stop someone from killing you, but they'll damn well make sure you don't spend the night in a park.
-------------
*Snippity*
Keep in mind that at no point did I say that he's guilty of assault. His arrest was likely nothing more than the police trying venting their frustration at the fact that they are constantly running into this guy inserting himself into situations where they'd rather not have a civilian getting involved.

It's one thing to be a bystander and stop someone from beating the shit out of someone else, or stop someone from stealing a woman's purse or whatever. It's something else to go looking to for these situations with the intent of injecting yourself into them.

As for the people in the park, Mayor McGinn should be going to jail along with the protestors since the rules of the park say no overnight camping and yet he told the cops to look the other way...at least until now. The double standard doesn't have to do with the police in this case, their orders came from higher up.

Signa said:
The Mayor actually invited the protesters onto city hall grounds for overnight, and yet that wasn't good enough.
He may have told the protestors that but he either got ahead of himself or he didn't tell the cops what was going on so that yet again they could look the other way. The protestors were told by police that City Hall being City Hall there was no overnight camping and if they tried to stay they would be arrested.

A Gray Phantom

Mar 4, 2011
dickywebster said:
JasonKaotic said:
I always wondered when people would start trying to be real life superheroes, heh. It's a concept a lot of particularly idiotic people would surely have at least considered before.

Result!

EDIT: Well, assuming they haven't already. I've never heard of anyone doing it.
Actually its been done a lot, think of the first part of kickass before things got awesome, where some local people dress up in costumes and go to the streets to fight crime and often made to look a bit silly on the news.

Yeah so its not common, but its not unheard of either, it jsut tends to be the smaller cities or towns rather than say places like NY. From what ive heard at least.
Please check out the New York Initiative. The Dark Guardian has been doing this years before Phoenix was.
There's also Mr. Extreme. He's from California, and the police there have gone on record to tell the public that if there's a problem that the police can't help them with, then they should turn to that man.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so when is dressing weird a crime now? other than that, he only self-defended. sure he got in them middle of it, but breaking other peoples fight is supposed to be every rightful citizen duty, or did that got lost in transmission now?
what amazes me is HOW LONG it tooks for cops to actually get there. you coud go in shoot them all and get away before they are even anywhere near. this makes me very sad and now im happy theres is a police car driving by my street every 10 minutes, at least they will be close. If every person did at least 10% of what he did, world would be a much better place.

Most of the time when a group of people does something bad, for example beat someone up, most comments are like "This society is sick, why doesn't any do something, where are all the heroes?"
Then, when someone has the balls to actually do something (it's his own fault and decision if he puts himself in danger), the comments change to "Wow, what a moron, why does he act like such an idiot and do something so stupid."
Sigh, people just don't know what they want.
very true. and thats true for pretty much everything. whats worse is that the same peopel have complete turnaround of opinion.

Ohjin

Nov 25, 2010
Ive been in a similar situation to this. A guy was beating up 2 women down a dark ally. Now this guy was big and pumped up on something, I don't know what, but I was crapping myself. I was with a few 'friends' (who didn't back me up-So I was stood in front of the guy on my own). However, I instructed my 'friends' to phone the police station that was literally 5 mins walk from where we were. They spent 20 minutes taking details. In the end they never showed in time. After 30 mins luckily I managed to talk the guy down and convinced him to go home.
I was absolutely crapping myself. I would not have minded having some pepper spray, or at least the police turning up.
If I hadn't turned up, I wouldn't like to think what would have happened.

Phoenix Jones heart is in the right place. Its not like he's going out with a gun or a baton and beating people up.

And I hate the disruptive drunk people coming out of clubs. In the U.K at 'chucking out time' there is a tremendous amount of police outside the clubs and pubs (We have weekly 'docu' shows about it on tv).
That in itself is evidence that there is history of trouble from people coming out of clubs and pubs drunk.

I wish there were more people like Phoenix Jones.

And I'm glad to see from the article that none of the people who hit him, chased him, or through stuff at him were arrested.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Chaos Inverse said:
Venats said:

Amen. Adding my signature here too, because the cops where I live don't do shit for the community, much less try to break up street fights.

Where does this ridiculous notion come from that if something wrong happens in front of you, you should remain a bystander? That you should wait helplessly for Mr. Policeman to come along and make everything better? Fuck that nonsense. I would rather be killed or go to jail than forever be that person who could've prevented something bad but didn't lift a finger.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
If Phoenix Jones had waded into the middle of that fight and started dropping people with roundhouse kicks and phoenix-a-rangs (presumably this is what he calls his 'a-rangs) I think the general public would be far more likely to cheer him on.

Granted, at that point he's looking at far more serious criminal charges, but once you've reached a level where you're naming bladed throwing weapons after your faux persona, you just can't worry about what the cops think.
I love how you imply that he names his bat-a-rangs and then critize him for that (something you just assumed)...

cross_breed

Mar 22, 2011
Maybe it's just me, but I love this guy. It is really rare that I see actual acts of unfiltered human decency, and this is one of them. I think he's got a long way to go before he could ever be anything close to an actual vigilante, but, hey, gotta start somewhere, right? The point is, his heart's in the right place. He may not be bringing down the mafia or subduing serial killers, but he's out there doing what he thinks is right, and I really admire him for that. Keep on keeping on, Mr. Jones! I hope they let you off so you can get back out there on the streets and show us all how its done.